ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Splitter fitter - 182

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Just picked up a Fabia splitter for the grand old sum of £13.97 :smile:

They were in stock at the Skoda garage I pass every now and again, would've been rude not to at that price.

Anyway I have searched the forum and have a question I don't know/ can't find the answer to.
I've looked under my car in anticipation for this weekends job.
I have a 182 Cup but its never had a splitter on the front, but under the bumper it has 8 screws, 4 small, look like torx heads in the middle of the bumper, and 2 larger screws at each end of the bumper as it goes round the corners closer to the wheels. They look like they have a small washer under the head.

Are these supposed to remain in place? It doesn't look like they have ever held anything else on apart from what they are holding on to now.

Do I just trim the clips off the fabia splitter and trim around these screws if necessary?

I just don't know if anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for the help fellas (assuming someone replies :tonguewink:)

JMR

RB 182 Cup
So what are these screws already in holding on :confused: ?

Do I replace the screws in the same place?

I wondered that too. Just leave them in, cut off the tabs on the Skoda splitter and use a lot of self tappers.

Reactions: JMR

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
When I fitred my splitter, not a Fabia one I removed the ones in the way or petruded too much etc. the one I have had tabs that I drilled through and into the bumper, easy enough to do. Note, I used a ramp in work which helped a lot.

Yeah what Danny said. Start at the Middle and see what you have left, that's what I did. Cut off the left overs

Reactions: JMR

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Don't do as MarkX says and cut one end.

Line up the middle correctly and cut each end. The splitter is half formed to go around the shape of a bumper.

That's what I did too . Line up the middle and fixed in place with some tape to hold it in place , then i drilled some small pilot holes through the spliiter into the bumper about 1.5mm then used self tappers . Cut off the ends flush with a stanley knife .

Don't do as MarkX says and cut one end.

Line up the middle correctly and cut each end. The splitter is half formed to go around the shape of a bumper.

I'd rather have one end finished properly, it makes absolutely no difference to the fit, half formed lmao, it's plenty flexible, mine is perfect, I prefer the factory finished end at the drivers side, but I'm fussy.

SQ5
I'd rather have one end finished properly, it makes absolutely no difference to the fit, half formed lmao, mine is perfect, I prefer the factory finished end at the drivers side, but I'm fussy.

When you lay it out the ends turn round to match the bumper profile, shown by the tabs on the inside.

Whoever did the one on my car your way, and close to the middle you can see where they've bent a bend the wrong way and it doesn't sit right. They did the passenger side neat though.

When you lay it out the ends turn round to match the bumper profile, shown by the tabs on the inside.

Whoever did the one on my car your way, and close to the middle you can see where they've bent a bend the wrong way and it doesn't sit right. They did the passenger side neat though.

that's down to the person, not the method, I'm bloody fussy about fit and finish, mine is perfectly even left to right, but whatever way works for you :smile: Cheap mod and nice effect

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think we've established there is more than one way to fit the splitter to achieve the desired results :wink: Whichever method is used , it's a good , cheap fix for the many broken Renault splitters that cost a small fortune. And in my opinion it looks just as good as the original :smile:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Get this one instead :smile:

65C6CCED-6762-4D57-93A0-7CF2B9ECE813_zpshuqgk70o.gif

FAD84A92-E220-4447-9059-757CED97D5ED_zpsaxyttbrh.gif

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Thanks for the pointers fellas.
I will leave the screws in that are already there, as reading an old pdf in the guides section that fuBar did a while back (for removing the front bumper) it turns out these screws hold the bumper on underneath.
Also on the KTEC carbon fibre splitters, there is a notch around all of the screws I have in place, so I guess they should be left alone.
I will see how close the fabia splitter gets and work round them.

Think I will work from the middle out, and cut the closed ends off and see if I can trim them down and superglue them onto the cut end if it needs neatening up.

Be the weekend before I get it fitted and pics up