ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spax rsx vs gaz gha opinions

Ph2 Clio 172
Ok...

Looking at coilovers, 90% trackday / 10% road (driving to/from track)

Been looking at gaz gha as they are well priced and you can custom spec them at purchase... full coils around £550

However...

Ive seen a second hand set (3k miles) set of spax rsx at £550... look like new

What are peoples opinions? I know gaz have bad press... but then i read spax have had issues too

Hmmm....

PH2 172
Ok...

Looking at coilovers, 90% trackday / 10% road (driving to/from track)

Been looking at gaz gha as they are well priced and you can custom spec them at purchase... full coils around £550

However...

Ive seen a second hand set (3k miles) set of spax rsx at £550... look like new

What are peoples opinions? I know gaz have bad press... but then i read spax have had issues too

Hmmm....

GHA are a reasonable compromise set up with 325 lb + helpers front & 225lb rear.
If your looking for 500lb front & 400lb rear, you will need Golds.
Money no object, AST`s.

Ph2 Clio 172
Yeah i think the design of the bc's front leg is great, height adjustment done from the bottom of the leg rather than the spring platform

Unfortunatly i want full coilover rears which the bc's dont offer :down:

Ph2 Clio 172
Based only on what I've read I'd go for gaz over the spax, definitely save the extra for the golds though.

Someone that works for gaz was offering a set of golds at £750 on facebook... cancelled order. Could still custom spec them as they hadnt been built

Only thing i like about the gha... seam to corrode really quickly. shouldnt be an issue for my planned use though

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
how come you want a full coilover?
Someone that works for gaz was offering a set of golds at £750 on facebook... cancelled order. Could still custom spec them as they hadnt been built

Only thing i like about the gha... seam to corrode really quickly. shouldnt be an issue for my planned use though
Can't see you going wrong with either of the gaz coilovers, just comes down to budget and how track focused you want you're set up. Post up you're decision/ findings if you can.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
What does the lb mean with the springs,as in is it the higher the number the harder the spring will be?.

and what would a good lb be for fast road use?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Some work in lbs per inch others are kg per mm.

Divide lbs by 56 to get kg or times kg by 56 to get lbs.

Just an easy way for people to work out what rate they need between brands.

Ph2 Clio 172
That spring rating has come from gaz... maybe they uprated the gha now :confused:

Clicked that link... in the info it says the max rate for the rear is 650lb

Confused now lol

OP have you reviewed both SPAX RSX and Gaz GHA on here? They don't get great reviews, the latter getting pretty crap reviews TBH. I know the BCs aren't full coilovers but there's not a bad word said about them on here. Again why full coilover?

PH2 172
That spring rating has come from gaz... maybe they uprated the gha now :confused:

Clicked that link... in the info it says the max rate for the rear is 650lb

Confused now lol

I think you will find 3 is very close to 6 on the keyboard.
You can enjoy hassling a good road car round a track, but could turn suicidal crashing over the overbanding and white lines in a race car on the road.

Ph2 Clio 172
Just personal preference, prefer full coilover. Will be fitting a pms axle stiffening kit so want to fit it all and not leave bits out just to keep the spring platform

Also... dont know if I am Searching wrong but i dont seam to find alot of threads about problems with any brand of coilover...

For the money, a set of gha correctly spec'd and valved at time of purchase along with 2yr warranty seam to fit the bill for me

i know you get what you pay for ...but as i am still considering new cup dampers and cooksport / eibach springs fearing i wont use the car enough to justify the cost of even gha's ... even though my head tells me im going to regret it the first lap round the track.. then theres no way im going to be comfortable spending close to 1k on coilovers

Think that makes sense lmao

Just personal preference, prefer full coilover. Will be fitting a pms axle stiffening kit so want to fit it all and not leave bits out just to keep the spring platform

Also... dont know if I am Searching wrong but i dont seam to find alot of threads about problems with any brand of coilover...

For the money, a set of gha correctly spec'd and valved at time of purchase along with 2yr warranty seam to fit the bill for me

i know you get what you pay for ...but as i am still considering new cup dampers and cooksport / eibach springs fearing i wont use the car enough to justify the cost of even gha's ... even though my head tells me im going to regret it the first lap round the track.. then theres no way im going to be comfortable spending close to 1k on coilovers

Think that makes sense lmao
If you've never done a track day in the Clio then as long as the suspension components are fairly fresh just go and see how it behaves on track, you may feel your skill level doesn't require coilovers yet, I know I didn't need them on my first few times out. I'm 9 track days in with the Clio and now feel I've reached the limits of the OE suspension so would like to progress to coilovers. Remember OE will be more progressive on the limit so easier to catch when it starts to go wrong, whereas coilovers reduce that and will have a smaller window from on the limit to beyond it.

Ph2 Clio 172
Im not a trackday novice as such... but will be in the clio. Had a well sorted 106 before, but this is a whole new learning curve specing for track

Eg... front springs on the 106... 200lb lol!

The clio needs new suspension anyways... EVERYTHING else (trackrods,bushes,rod ends ect ect) is new.. just to decide on what bouncy bits to fit

Dont want to spend £300 on springs/shocks/mounts to find in afew trackdays i need to swap them out

Suppose i wouldnt loose to much selling nearly new components though

Im not a trackday novice as such... but will be in the clio. Had a well sorted 106 before, but this is a whole new learning curve specing for track

Eg... front springs on the 106... 200lb lol!

The clio needs new suspension anyways... EVERYTHING else (trackrods,bushes,rod ends ect ect) is new.. just to decide on what bouncy bits to fit

Dont want to spend £300 on springs/shocks/mounts to find in afew trackdays i need to swap them out

Suppose i wouldnt loose to much selling nearly new components though
I just got new Renault OE dampers from ebay and a set of ECP AMAX (APEX) lowering springs, cost me under £200. Been running that for 9 track days now and it's great TBF. Kept pace with plenty of other higher specd Clio's.

Ph2 Clio 172
Hmmm food for thought, cheers for that

Ive had a 172 before... brandnew cup dampers, eibach prolines, 182 cup wheels with mich pse2, brembo hicarbon discs and ds performance pads

Got to say a bloody brilliant fast road setup.... didnt get it near a track though

Really set the cat among the pigeons here lol. Looking at the list of other stuff the car still needs prehaps shocks and springs and the extra spent on actually getting it near a track is really the way togo for now

Hmmm food for thought, cheers for that

Ive had a 172 before... brandnew cup dampers, eibach prolines, 182 cup wheels with mich pse2, brembo hicarbon discs and ds performance pads

Got to say a bloody brilliant fast road setup.... didnt get it near a track though

Really set the cat among the pigeons here lol. Looking at the list of other stuff the car still needs prehaps shocks and springs and the extra spent on actually getting it near a track is really the way togo for now
I'd say so mate, use the money for a set of cheap 15" wheels with track rubber (r888, ad08 etc...) and decent front pads, I'm currently using Mintex M1155 and find the stopping power and lack of fade great for the money, £69 on EBay.

Ph2 Clio 172
I'd say so mate, use the money for a set of cheap 15" wheels with track rubber (r888, ad08 etc...) and decent front pads, I'm currently using Mintex M1155 and find the stopping power and lack of fade great for the money, £69 on EBay.

Already have wheels and tyres. Used m1155 in the 106 and was impressed so sounds good choice again at that price

Think a whiteline arb would help at all?