ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spare wheel/Tyre weld?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Just wondering, how many of you carry a spare wheel or do you carry something else like tyreweld instead?

I have a mk3 1.2 so the wheels mounted under the car under the boot, but giving alot of consideration into taking it off the car as

A) Everyone online says the wheels near impossible to get off the mounting with the weird design making the job take forever

B) I'd quite like the extra boot space instead of the tool kit and jack as well as mounting, and maybe i'll even gain half an MPG ;) Also I wouldn't feel comfortable using the Renault jack, and I don't fancy carrying a trolley jack with me

C) The journeys I do rarely go further than 10 minutes from home, or even 15 minutes from a tyre shop, so tyreweld could be a good option? And if not I have a years AA membership!

What are your thoughts? What do you carry? Sorry if this has been posted before! Did have a quick search.

Ethan

BG Clio 182
My 182 obviously doesn't have a spare, i have tyre weld but that was no good when my tyre split open, thank goodness for my breakdown cover!!!

Audi A5
Your really not going to gain anything taking it out, also when you have a blow out and the AA mans going to be two hours your thank your lucky stars you kept it.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If your car had a spare wheel, and you've taken it out, and you get a puncture, the nice man from the AA will not fix your car.

If your car didn't have a spare from the factory, he will.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
1.The thing everyone seems to forget is that tyre weld is extremely limited to what it can do. If you have a blow out and you've removed your spare, you'll be paying a fortune because your breakdown company won't cover you.

2. You need the jack to lift the punctured tyre off the ground before you use tyre sealant.

3. If you use tyre weld a tyre fitter will more than likely refuse to carry out a puncture repair.

4. The standard jack will be fine for changing a wheel. Just stick the spare under the car as a back up just incase.

5. You aren't really going to gain much space from removing the tool kit.

6. It will at some point cost you more money than you will ever save with the marginal increase in fuel economy.

PB Clio 172
If your car had a spare wheel, and you've taken it out, and you get a puncture, the nice man from the AA will not fix your car.

If your car didn't have a spare from the factory, he will.

not sure this is correct, take with a pinch of salt

if you pay your membership they cannot refuse to come out

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
not sure this is correct, take with a pinch of salt

if you pay your membership they cannot refuse to come out

You actually commented on the thread I'm quoting this from.

Sorry - boring, part essay below:

Today I had an exam. 9.30am in Leeds, some 25 miles away. Got up early to miss the traffic and set off making good time, taking the 172 as the Mrs needed the ST. 5 miles from Leeds, just about to join the M621 and the car starts swaying with a horrible vibration. I head to the hard shoulder and notice the OSF tyre is flat. ****.

I opened the boot and noticed I had not put the 5th wheel in on Sunday (changed wheels, as car has sold) - in fact, its sat on the drive at my parents! FFS, forgot all about it.

Its ok though, we have AA cover.

Rang the AA who asked if the car came with a spare wheel when it was new. Hmmmm... before answering I had a few options; lie, tell the truth or play dumb (not difficult). I decided to tell the truth, hoping this karma would assist in me attending my exam and passing it. It didn't really matter as I used all of them and result was still a FAIL.

"sorry, we can only assist you if you have a working spare" he then goes away to double check their system "the 172 came with a spare wheel, so I'm sorry". Sh*t.

So I then tried lying.
"sorry, its a 182, my mistake pal"
"er.. the reg number you gave me states its a 172 made in 2001. The 182 was a later year". Lying gets you nowhere children.

So I then had to use the 'play dumb' not to get assistance, merely to make it out that I'm not a liar and just a spacktard. Although I am actually both.

"I don't really know much about cars, sorry" - what a n0b.

First time in 11 years I've had a flat.
ENSURE YOU HAVE A SPARE (if the car was to supposed to come with one as standard) AND IT WORKS. Quite suprised that the AA wouldn't attend if I didn't have one - but makes sense, complete waste of their time. But even if you made a genuine mistake, you're still on your own.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?628304-Breaking-down-lesson-learnt

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
not every thread on CS is true 100% fact you know

He had no reason to make it up. But just for you I've checked the AA's T's and C's.

H8yZW1.gif

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Wow this thread was popular haha :) Okay ill leave the spare on, was just an idea really, may have a go at taking it off and putting it on again though just to see how much of a nightmare the weird ratchet holder design is! Might also just carry some tyreweld as well for ease of use in a hurry (exams soon!)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
OK, this is from the RAC's T's and C's.

Cover shall not include the following:

Any costs incurred as a result of You failing to carry
a serviceable spare tyre and wheel, or incurred

in arranging the removal of a wheel secured by
locking wheel nuts when You are unable to provide
a serviceable key, appropriate to Your Vehicle,
caravan or trailer.
Please note: Service to Motorised Vehicles that are
manufactured without the provision of a spare wheel
will be considered on their individual merits such as
availability of alternative solutions including proximity
and availability of replacement tyres etc, and subject
to Your membership entitlement. Assistance in
changing a wheel is covered, subject to You carrying
a serviceable spare as specified above.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Found it interesting the AA rung me for customer feedback about an issue my car had a while ago and I asked and the woman said "as long as you have made an attempt at mending the puncture it's fine, whether you carry a spare or tyreweld both are acceptable for us"

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
He had no reason to make it up. But just for you I've checked the AA's T's and C's.

H8yZW1.gif

Correct, I didn't make it up and I was fckd.

Luckily my brother in law saved my arse and I passed the exam.

I even bought a sh*t pot spare for the current Audi - just to prevent this from occurring again.
You never know.