ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sound System Upgrade Choices

BG Clio 182
Right. We all know the 182 sound system is stuck back in 2005.

I went out in a friends audi with the bang and olufsen option ticked and f**k me it did sound unreal. It got me thinking. Can the clio be upgraded to this standard and has it been done?

How much would it set me back and what would I buy? Obviously need a sub and amp and all manor of upgrades but where could I get it done and what'd be a rough cost? I live in selby so anywhere near ish me that does this sort of thing?

Clio 172 cup
I tried something similar before. I spoke to a guy that had won a load of awards for car sound systems and the advice I got was to keep it as simple as possible. I got everything from the same brand (I chose Alpine), I got an amp, headunit, component mid range and tweeters in the front and a pair of 6 x 9's in a reinforced parcel shelf. I removed all the old wiring and replaced it with brand new high spec wiring and connectors so that everything was new. It took a couple of days to fit everything as the dash etc all needed to come out. I spent £800 all in, the sound was very good and as powerful as you'd ever need it to be. An issue was making sure door cards etc were firm enough to hold the speakers and not rattle. You'll get a lot of rattles and probably create some new ones so you'll want to allow some time and effort to rectifying that too.

BG Clio 182
I tried something similar before. I spoke to a guy that had won a load of awards for car sound systems and the advice I got was to keep it as simple as possible. I got everything from the same brand (I chose Alpine), I got an amp, headunit, component mid range and tweeters in the front and a pair of 6 x 9's in a reinforced parcel shelf. I removed all the old wiring and replaced it with brand new high spec wiring and connectors so that everything was new. It took a couple of days to fit everything as the dash etc all needed to come out. I spent £800 all in, the sound was very good and as powerful as you'd ever need it to be. An issue was making sure door cards etc were firm enough to hold the speakers and not rattle. You'll get a lot of rattles and probably create some new ones so you'll want to allow some time and effort to rectifying that too.
Ah okay, how good was the sound? This thing I heard was ridiculous. I'm a bit of an audiophile and do know a good sound when I hear it. That was amazing and the sense of sound throw and surround was incredible!

Listerine & Poledo
Change your head unit for one with on-board HP/LP filters
fit a small sub in the boot.
fettle the settings on the head unit.
DONE.

Seriously, the OEM cones for 1*2s are actually quite decent, they just aren't up to taking bass through them. As soon as you have a sub to do that for you, then they work really nicely. Not as nice as, say, pouring £300 into the doors, but given you're going to just shake the car into a rattly hole if you put too many watts through it, amping up a set of Rainbow components isn't a great move.

@TheEvilGiraffe amirite?

basically.
HEADUNIT - http://caraudiosecurity.com/cde-178bt-cd-usb-receiver-bluetooth-app-direct-tuneit
SUB - http://caraudiosecurity.com/swe-815-8-active-bass-tube

Dont go shopping holes into parcel shelves though, please.

Clio 172 cup
The sound was very good, not audiophile fantastic. The limiting factor was the trim. Mine was let down by the mid range from the 8" speakers in the doors. The door cards couldn't hold the speakers firmly enough. This is the same as for hi fi's where you'd use spikes on the feet of floorstanders etc - to hold the speakers in place. I think clio trim would struggle to hold really nice stuff in place.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'd imagine the Audi had a multi speaker sytem, possibly 8, 10 or even more speakers. You aren't going to get that level of sound in a Clio without spending £000's on it. The amount of sound deadening you'd need to stop it sounding like a tin can with a speaker in it would be massive!

Yes, you can get a good sounding set up fairly cheaply, HU, components up front and a sub in the boot (don't bother with 6x9's!) No need for rear speakers at all with a cood set up front.

Having said all that, the OE setup in my Volvo is 10x better than i've ever had in any of my previous cars (even where i've put in new HU's and speakers etc) and that's 8 years old! Its better sounding than the 'bose' setup in my mates MPS.

BG Clio 182
Change your head unit for one with on-board HP/LP filters
fit a small sub in the boot.
fettle the settings on the head unit.
DONE.

Seriously, the OEM cones for 1*2s are actually quite decent, they just aren't up to taking bass through them. As soon as you have a sub to do that for you, then they work really nicely. Not as nice as, say, pouring £300 into the doors, but given you're going to just shake the car into a rattly hole if you put too many watts through it, amping up a set of Rainbow components isn't a great move.

@TheEvilGiraffe amirite?

basically.
HEADUNIT - http://caraudiosecurity.com/cde-178bt-cd-usb-receiver-bluetooth-app-direct-tuneit
SUB - http://caraudiosecurity.com/swe-815-8-active-bass-tube

Dont go shopping holes into parcel shelves though, please.
Really not my style mate, really into oem. Don't want to butcher anything at all! Could I not use the standard head unit mate to keep it looking oem?

Would this give a lot of bass then? Give a proper thumping bass and power? I'm not a tit I just appreciate music and want my car to sound awesome! So do I just get the sub then and where do I put it? Could it go under the passenger seat? I do have recaros don't know if that makes any difference?

Does the sub just handle the bass then or what? My standard speakers are good enough then for a good sound?

Cheers :)

Listerine & Poledo
The biggest problem is that the OEM headunit is a bit poor. Amplifying it will only make it louder, certainly not better. You could get a parott add-on system but you'll still have aftermarket things hanging off your dash, which will look 400% more pikey than a different HU.
Provided you dont go for a Sony, or JVC or similar, you should be able to tweak the illumination etc so you don't look like there's a circus in your dashboard.
Your standard speakers are fine for listening to Classic FM, but as you've already found, they can't handle much beyond that.
"I want thumping bass" - Then you'll need a sub thats bigger than you'll fit under your seats. Underseats are there to just add a bit more low-end, to get some deep bass across a wide frequency, you need a bigger cone, thus a bigger bix, thus a boot-mounted affair. Thing is, you wont want anything massive because:
1) It'll take up all your boot
2) you'll end up with more bass than actual music. which may be popular on the retail parks on a Saturday night, but still utter s**t 24/7
Sub woofers only handle low frequencies, the kit in your doors are "full range" but will struggle with low tones. Hence why if you just change headunit and add a a sub, you'll be far better off than you would be yrying to fettle with the renault stereo.
Changing anything before the headunit if swapped would be a cataclysmic waste of effort, many of the 'better' aftermarket speakers need more power fed to them than the stock stereo can provide.
in summary:
Get a new headunit that doesn't look like a gameboy colour
get a small sub for the boot.

BG Clio 182
The biggest problem is that the OEM headunit is a bit poor. Amplifying it will only make it louder, certainly not better. You could get a parott add-on system but you'll still have aftermarket things hanging off your dash, which will look 400% more pikey than a different HU.
Provided you dont go for a Sony, or JVC or similar, you should be able to tweak the illumination etc so you don't look like there's a circus in your dashboard.
Your standard speakers are fine for listening to Classic FM, but as you've already found, they can't handle much beyond that.
"I want thumping bass" - Then you'll need a sub thats bigger than you'll fit under your seats. Underseats are there to just add a bit more low-end, to get some deep bass across a wide frequency, you need a bigger cone, thus a bigger bix, thus a boot-mounted affair. Thing is, you wont want anything massive because:
1) It'll take up all your boot
2) you'll end up with more bass than actual music. which may be popular on the retail parks on a Saturday night, but still utter s**t 24/7
Sub woofers only handle low frequencies, the kit in your doors are "full range" but will struggle with low tones. Hence why if you just change headunit and add a a sub, you'll be far better off than you would be yrying to fettle with the renault stereo.
Changing anything before the headunit if swapped would be a cataclysmic waste of effort, many of the 'better' aftermarket speakers need more power fed to them than the stock stereo can provide.
in summary:
Get a new headunit that doesn't look like a gameboy colour
get a small sub for the boot.
Awesome post mate. I shall do just that then. Are some subs better than other, and does the head unit need anything special then to be able to take the sub like I dunno on the box say "supports ...." or something to tell me it'll work? (This isn't my area of expertise!)

I'll get sub for for the old boot then :)

Cheers

BG Clio 182
The sound was very good, not audiophile fantastic. The limiting factor was the trim. Mine was let down by the mid range from the 8" speakers in the doors. The door cards couldn't hold the speakers firmly enough. This is the same as for hi fi's where you'd use spikes on the feet of floorstanders etc - to hold the speakers in place. I think clio trim would struggle to hold really nice stuff in place.
Ah I can to be fair imagine that. Didn't even realise that to be fair. The limiting factor is the car and it's design isn't it really :/ lol.

Listerine & Poledo
No problem chap.
Honestly, the 2 items I posted earlier are what I'd go for. Not top-end, but not budget.
Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer. All these are a fair shout.
Sony, Fli, JVC.... no.
You will need the right lead to retain your steering-wheel controls though and to keep your dash-top display showing track numbers etc. will need a bit of wire that comes in at about £70 (!!!!)

BG Clio 182
I'd imagine the Audi had a multi speaker sytem, possibly 8, 10 or even more speakers. You aren't going to get that level of sound in a Clio without spending £000's on it. The amount of sound deadening you'd need to stop it sounding like a tin can with a speaker in it would be massive!

Yes, you can get a good sounding set up fairly cheaply, HU, components up front and a sub in the boot (don't bother with 6x9's!) No need for rear speakers at all with a cood set up front.

Having said all that, the OE setup in my Volvo is 10x better than i've ever had in any of my previous cars (even where i've put in new HU's and speakers etc) and that's 8 years old! Its better sounding than the 'bose' setup in my mates MPS.
Funny you should say that. My dad has had many RX8's. They all have bose systems. The s1 rx8 has in my opinion a terrible sound really for bose but the r3 rx8 he had did sound quite a bit better, but still bot a patch on the Audi!

Ah so I shall go with that then. What's these components? And where would I be best going to get it done? XD. I don't know a thing so detent attempt myself.

BG Clio 182
No problem chap.
Honestly, the 2 items I posted earlier are what I'd go for. Not top-end, but not budget.
Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer. All these are a fair shout.
Sony, Fli, JVC.... no.
You will need the right lead to retain your steering-wheel controls though and to keep your dash-top display showing track numbers etc. will need a bit of wire that comes in at about £70 (!!!!)
I'll genuinely look into those mate, something to scan for tonight :) thanks for that because I'm so s**t at this sort of thing. Would it be wise to take it somehwere to get it done? Don't want a halfords tit on it.

Listerine & Poledo
in fairness, if it's just fitting a sub and a stereo, most places can't actually mess that up.
But buying from halfords would rape your wallet.
Get the parts from the internet and either
1) see if a local CSer will help
2) get an auto-electrician to do it, between parts costs and what they'll charge, it's about the same as if you'd bought from a high-street vendor and they did "free fitting"

BG Clio 182
in fairness, if it's just fitting a sub and a stereo, most places can't actually mess that up.
But buying from halfords would rape your wallet.
Get the parts from the internet and either
1) see if a local CSer will help
2) get an auto-electrician to do it, between parts costs and what they'll charge, it's about the same as if you'd bought from a high-street vendor and they did "free fitting"
Ah okay. Will do that then bud. Cheers.

BG Clio 182
good luck.
Haha right. Started having a root on that excellent website you sent. I'm now thinking I want something a little dearer sub wise just for the design, I.e don't want it to look halfords-esque. What is thee best way to do more of a stealth install so it can't be seen? And is there no possible way of whamming this sub through the standard unit? I just love the standard one!

Listerine & Poledo
you can run the sub from Renault unit but
1) It'll sound s**t
2) you'll lose your rear speakers.

Since a sub will be in the boot, what it looks like isn't massively important, but quality is. I have one of the Pioneer "pump" subs, it's a bloody eyesore but works nicely.
A stealth install for your Clio will be a lot more money and hassle.

Seriously, the weakest link in the ENTIRE system is your Renault stereo. Change that and you'll instantly have better quality sound. Sure, it's not OEM, but keep your old stereo to replace it at sales time and, until then, so what. Either you want it to look right or sound right...and given it's a stereo......well, you work that out yourself ;)

Clio 172 cup
There is an after market head unit that looks very oem but last time I saw one on here in the parts for sale section the guy wanted £200 for it! Worth having a look for though if you're very keen on this.

Listerine & Poledo
£200 is about right for a decent unit with some capability such as iPod in, bluetooth, stalk controls and such.

I wouldn't spend much less than that anyway.

Clio 172 cup
8a.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes mate, Becker grand prix.

Can't be bought new anymore so he will have to search ebay.
I bought mine from a member on here.

Clio 172 cup
I think this was the one for sale previously. Just had a search online and they seem to be rated quite highly and go for good money. Looks like £200 could be a reasonable price.

Listerine & Poledo
Proper bit of kit, the Becker.
Instead of spending on flashing lights, the money goes into sound quality and longevity, which is why you'll find them in a lot of motors as OEM kit.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
This stuff will be easy to fit without the need for modifying anything or cutting holes. It sounds fantastic too.

Alpine CDE -178BT head unit - this is Alpines flagship model, its quite cheap though at only £179 .
Alpine KTP -445A power pack - inline amplifier that plugs between the headunit and renault iso loom. plug and play !
Alpine Type-R SPR50C component front speakers. - this comes with tweeters and a crossover for just the tweeters.
Alpine Type-R SPR50 rear speakers. These have the tweeters built in to the speaker.
Apline SWE 1200 underseat sub. -----AMAZING unit , fits a clio perfectly. sits snugly under the passenger seat.
Connects2 CTSRN003 Stalk adapter + alpine lead
Connects2 CT27AA01 aerial adapter
Connects2 Renault speaker connector wires x 4

Check out my thread here

Listerine & Poledo
Yep, that's pretty much a "stage 2" ICE upgrade
1 - Headunit & sub
2 - speakers and amp
3 - burning money

I might have to disagree with you on underseat subs though, if it's directly under your seat then you'll feel bass more than hear it...which is what most people actually want, to be fair. But they just cant move enough air to get to the really low notes. I'm using the Kenwood version of the same thing.

BG Clio 182
This stuff will be easy to fit without the need for modifying anything or cutting holes. It sounds fantastic too.

Alpine CDE -178BT head unit - this is Alpines flagship model, its quite cheap though at only £179 .
Alpine KTP -445A power pack - inline amplifier that plugs between the headunit and renault iso loom. plug and play !
Alpine Type-R SPR50C component front speakers. - this comes with tweeters and a crossover for just the tweeters.
Alpine Type-R SPR50 rear speakers. These have the tweeters built in to the speaker.
Apline SWE 1200 underseat sub. -----AMAZING unit , fits a clio perfectly. sits snugly under the passenger seat.
Connects2 CTSRN003 Stalk adapter + alpine lead
Connects2 CT27AA01 aerial adapter
Connects2 Renault speaker connector wires x 4

Check out my thread here
That lot is awesome but I would not fancy doing that lot myself! Looks incredible though!

ldubl

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has the same headunit as @optical, very good price for dab unit from Alpine, and Alpine speakers in the front doors.

The dab aerial and an underseat sub is going in when I get the new heater surround put in at weekend, along with the Alpine connector that allows use of steering stalk volume etc as well as the clock display of track number etc.

There's all but no bass atm, so defo need some type of sub. Underseat sounds like a good compromise of space, cost and performance.

Going for the same underseat sub as @optical , if there was room I'd have gone for the more powerful In Phase one:
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-usw12_p-31934.htm
I originally wanted the Alpine to match the head & fronts & is cool having the sub control dials unit that fits nicely near the steering wheel :smile:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Something I noticed last weekend when my seats were out was that the clio has back seat feet heaters. They blow onto the corner of the SWE1200 sub and was a little worried about it overheating. Here is a little paint diagram:
rs4Hw1r.gif

There is 2 air outlets under the seat and one of them needs blocking off . I used black gaffa tape and that has sorted it.

ldubl

ClioSport Club Member
Good shout @optical :up:

Does the swe-1200 just plug & play or does it need one of those fuses attached to the battery / earthing?

Think I read just need a double male-male component-type cable in addition to what is supplied in the box?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
The great thing about the SWE1200 is that it comes with everything you need in the box but like you said you need a component type cable (rca cable) which you need to buy that goes between the back of your headunit and the subs amp. Something I encountered with this was there is not a lot of room when you are pushing your headunit back in and so the RCA lead cant be ones with a connector that take loads of room, you need to either but two of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Degree-Phono-Socket-Single-Adapter/dp/B003OSS1QU/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424284087&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=rca cable 90 degree 30cm
or buy something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-ProAV-Audio-Cable-Degree/dp/B007P2J7AA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1424284087&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=rca cable 90 degree 30cm (BUT shorter - 30cm if you are mounting amp behind the dash)

The way I have it all set up is the wired remote control in the cubby hole under the traction control buttons - need to drill an 8mm hole possible bigger to get the cable in there. The control box (amp) for the sub I have located behing the dash board - behind the clocks , you will find there is loads of room there and is a good place to mount it. I dont have a pic unfortunately. I used some really strong number plate double sided pad to hold the amp in place securely. the RCA cable doesnt need to be longer than 30 cm if you mount it here. You also need to fix the earth cable somewhere and you will find there is loads of great earth points under the dashboard - I undid a nut and stuck the earth spade under the nut and tightened it.

All in all its really really easy to fit it but will take a little while - perhaps 2 hours to do a tidy job. I had never removed the top of the dash but its a doddle and really easy. The hardest part of the install is getting the power cable to the battery, this took the longest and you probably know but there is a rubber bung behind the glove box - you will need to be on your back to get to it, I used the tube from a bic biro to stick through the bung but also used a philips head screw driver to expand the bung hole (did i say bung hole? lolz) and then feed the cable through the biro. It comes out behind the sound deadening material behind the expansion tank (which needs unmounting.) quite far down. Pain of a job that and is a back killer.

The sub sits under the passenger seat and the cable that goes from the amp to the sub routes from the dashboard, down behind the heater controls, under the ashtray and at this point you have a choice of running the cable under the carpet but this means unbolting your passenger seat and removing it (takes 15 mins and is easy just 4 x 13mm nuts that need removing under the car using a 13mm deep socket + 10cm extension bar (std 13mm socket will not reach , I had to buy the socket.)) or running the cable under the trim of the gearstick, then under the hand brake trim. If you run it under the hand brake you will see a little bit of cable but perfectly acceptable.
I would recommend taking the seat out as it will allow you to run the battery cable a LOT easier as you will be able to lie on your back on the car floor rather than the side sill, and the install will be a lot cleaner. You dont need to screw the sub down or mount it or anything as you will find out, it slots in perfectly and doesnt move once its in.

So to recap you need to get
bic biro
strong double sided sticky pads
30cm rca cable with small ends
13mm deep socket to remove the seat
If you do run cable under the carpet some black duck tape is awesome for sticking the cable to the car floor and also for wrapping the 2m of excess cable.

hope the length of this post hasnt put you off. it really is easy - I had never done anything like this and managed it without troubles.

Last edited:

ldubl

ClioSport Club Member
You're a legend @optical :up::up:

You've answered all my questions, made the whole process straightforward & the list of what I need is brilliant :smile:

RS172 PH1
I can highly reccommend the Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit, made even the stock speakers come alive in my 172. Have since swapped out the interior's for some Polk Audio's and added a small sub (fusion 8" Active) in the back, all up spent maybe $800-$1000 (NZ) and very happy now with the setup.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
That audi probably had 'room correction' aswell thats what makes the sound so awesome..sets time delay and such with the help of a mic....I have yhe cheap alpine system...while a bit fiddly and can be easily tripped up...it does work wonders......

Nine468

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy,BMW X5,
Sorry meant to read, adapter so the Becker Grand Prix will work with the stalk controls and dash top display aswell...05 plate 182 Trophy.
As I already have a Becker GP from one of my previous cars.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I'd imagine you can get a stalk adapter for the stalk controls, but very few stereos support the top dash display - Alpine do one but that's pretty much it.

Nice bump by the way.

Listerine & Poledo
yep, alpine dash-display cables are doable....but prepare yourself for a mission to find them and a £50-70 bill if you do.

Remember, you're asking for niche cables for a 10yr-old car..