ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sound proofing

frozen white clio172
dont know if this is in the right category but i want to soundproof the boot of my car due to loud exhaust droning!!! will soundproofing make any difference or has anyone got any other ideas???? cheers jonny

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have "quite a bit" of Dynamat on my rear end (in the car of course ;) ) as I have a Focal install in the boot

Doesn't kill the exhaust noise though lol

frozen white clio172
thanks for the reply mate i'm in a pickle coz i really like the sound of exhaust but inside it gets abit much was hoping it would remove some noise obviously it wont get rid of all sound but was hoping on a slight change :-(

"Navy" N17 TWO
To be fair the Dynamat I have in the back is only to stop panels resonating & rattling the car to bits when the sub is kicking some air around lol

You can get some thicker stuff that goes on top of that (like thick foam) which absorbs some of the drone from the backbox IIRC

What exhaust have you got on?

frozen white clio172
i'm not sure of the exhaust its custom i and dont think its ktec or yozza, at the moment the boot is fully stripped no spare wheel (so hole in the floor) or nothing not even a parcel shelf. so was thinking of gettin some soundproofing down then getting all the boot back to normal and buying a parcel shelf surely doing this would make a difference????

S4 Avant
Well of course it's going to be loud without anything in the back.

Hell, even taking the parcel shelf out increases the volume from the exhaust rediculously. Stick the parcel shelf back in, and the boot carpet, you'll see a massive difference

frozen white clio172
tidy i will be in my local scrappy tomorrow as i bought the car last weekend and they werent in there might add a layer of dynamat just to add a little more lol

tidy i will be in my local scrappy tomorrow as i bought the car last weekend and they werent in there might add a layer of dynamat just to add a little more lol

OMG can you not read? Dynamat only adds panel mass which stops rattles and so on. You need a barrier! Like luxury liner or silent coat overkill.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
As above, soon as you remove rear seat's and the tracing paper rear parcel shelf the noise goes up a fair bit, I can even hear my exhaust hiss from the backbox joint when i've got the rear out :p

frozen white clio172
sorry Dblock i should maybe have used my fingers a little more and type what i'm gonna get rather than just shorten my post by puttin dynamat lol the stuff i have seen is a luxury liner and guarantees a reduction in road noise and exhaust drone i just couldnt be bothered typing and didnt really know the name of it haha

frozen white clio172
cheers bud i knew what i wanted to buy but just couldnt be arsed writin it lol went the scrappy with the old man today stocked up on loads of spare parts as well as gettin a parcel shelf and boot carpet ;-) all for £20

LY R26 230 F1 Team
I have deadening in mine to stop motorway droning with my yozza, sitting at anyhting above 75mph kills you with a yozz lol

IMG_5967.jpg

frozen white clio172
does it make any difference at all????? also wish i had a pocket big enough for the spare wheel locking in thingy!!!! but i did manage to get lots of spare bulbs,fuses and 2 lambda sensors hehe oh yeah and handbrake gaitor

"Navy" N17 TWO
Good question does it make any difference at all to the motorway noise?

I don't know if mine helps or not as I had my boot Dynamatted and the install put in before the old exhaust fell off :star: lol

There is a few different grades (thickness) of Dynaliner you can get that goes on top of the Dynamat eXtreme (the barrier as they call it above)
I was wanting to get a patch of that for my boot lid and over the exhaust maybe - not overly expensive if it does work :)

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Lets put it this way, If i want to hear my yozza race WITH de-cat, I now have to wind my windows down... ;)

Big differance.

frozen white clio172
Lets put it this way, If i want to hear my yozza race WITH de-cat, I now have to wind my windows down... ;)

Big differance.

whatever u used i need it. i love the sound of the exhaust and to be honest it doesnt really bother me but my 4 yr old daughter isnt to keen!!!! and i dont want to change it as i only have her in my car for a maximun of 3 days per week and never motorway journeys but she is the boss so i need to quieten it inside abit!!!!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Boom.

Megabumpage !

I want to deaden my car a little, it's a little noisy at speed, and also the speakers could do with a little help. Looked on eBay and there are dozens of options and prices.

What do you guys think is best ? I don't want to spend a fortune as I don't "need" it but I don't want to waste money doing something pointless.

Some roofliner type stuff which just sticks to the panels, or some 'official' noise reducing dynamat type sound deadening ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RattleMat...ls-Sheets-Car-Audio-200mm-x-10m-/300612471794

or..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhesive-Insulation-campervan-sound-deadening-VW-/400226524029 perhaps ?

A.N. Other
So this thread is going nowhere fast... Looking through ebay there were a few options that claim to be non-bitumen based which may be worth trying.
I think when money is a limit you only bother with mass loading the doors for speakers to stop rattling, etc. but you'll need the foam type stuff (or equivalent) for actual sound-proofing.
Subscribed to this thread to see what others suggest though - don't think there's a product that does both on the cheap though.

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
What about going down to the scrap yard and find some soundproofing sheets from other cars.

Althouth it was ages ago and can't remember 100% but some peugeots had some under the boot carpet? They were quite big as well. A couple should be able to do some work.

I think a coating of dynamat or brown bread... (or what ever preference you have with sound deadening brand) on the boot floor..

The parcel shelf makes a big difference to sound ive taken mine out a few times and makes the exhaust noise much louder and ive only got an OEM system

So covering the boot floor, possibly tracing the boot carpet on some 6mm mdf, wrapping that in acoustic carpet, and sound proofing the parcel shelf would make a big difference to anyone looking for noise reduction.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Bump of an old thread but I've ordered 10 sheets of Silent Coat from eBay to hopefully quieten the drone of my non resonated milltek with CAT mod :up: I'll post some feedback when I've fitted it

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
10 sheets of 2mm silent coat applied to the boot floor made no significant noise reduction. Reckon I should have ordered their thicker 5mm sheets

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@GavC
I have the same exhaust as you and I have got some of this in my boot:
https://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-2321-...afety-matting-6mm-or-9mm-thick-per-metre.aspx
I have the 9mm thick stuff - its quite heavy as its made of rubber but has made quite a bit of difference. Easy to cut too - I took my standard boot mat out and used it as a template to cut the rubber. After cutting I put the standard mat in first then the rubber one on top. It also stops stuff from sliding around.