ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony to recall 1.6 million Bravia TVs due to melting components

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/sony-to-recall-1-6-million-bravia-tvs-due-to-melting-components/

W
hat the f**k is wrong with Sony these days? it used to be the only brand i really trusted in the electronics market.

But after the PS3 f**k ups and various items i have bought from them (DAB radio, Bluray player for the parents) f**king up! i don't even consider them when i make a purchase in this sector.

Shame really. I found grandads betamax in the loft a few weeks back.

sony-betamax-recorder-c7.jpg

Weighs 25KG+ and still works as it did from the factory. Even hooked it up and watched a recording of condorman from the 80's.
Same goes for mums 15 year old 28" CRT, never misses a beat.

Listerine & Poledo
PS3 issues?

Aside from the Launch model having a shody BR drive design and the PSN issue, what are you refering to?

And, lets face it, nothing is built as well as it was "back in the day".

Thing is, companies have to cut corners as they drive mass production, just to make the products cheap enough for the buyers, else they mostly wont sell.

My Bravia cost 700 quid when I got it, is 32" and not 1080p. Hasn't skipped a beat though. As soon as you can pick up "the same" TV for £300, there's got to be a reason why it's so much cheaper, component price reduction through a rise in production only goes so far.

172 Race Car
f**k, Ive got a 32'' Bravia. Only bought it coz my last tv was a cheap one and went wrong after 18months

Listerine & Poledo
Maybe the fact that the PS3 is s**t?

so s**t that it's got to have 7 processors, a blu-ray drive and came out with wi-fi and bluetooth vuilt in.

yep, that's gash, Far better to get a console that's running 90's tech with several band-aid solutions bolted on

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I have both the xbox and PS3 and I always play the xbox, just something so awesome about the xbox.

Mk2 ph1 clio
I'll stick with my PS3 over my xbox (i have both and have live and still prefer PS3) anyway back on topic of TV's

I nearly bought a sony bravia last week, glad i didnt now! The model is one of those affected! I work with a guy who used to work for the sony centre to todays conversations should be interesting to hear his thoughts on this latest failing!

Listerine & Poledo
you sure?

The models affected are from 2007/8

Unless you're buying used or from a warehouse outlet, you shouldn't find one on sale that will be a problem

Honda Civic EP2
Wow, didn't expect this from Sony, they are always my first choice if I'm looking to buy electronics. My ps3 is still running perfectly, though. It's been almost four years since I bought it on release date as well!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't buy a Sony TV ever.

Overpriced and from friend's experience shocking quality.

Listerine & Poledo
Quality is almost directly proportional to price.

a 32" TV that costs £700 is likely to be of better quality than one costing £300.

gets whatcha pays for, innit.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I disagree, my 50" LG cost less than that and it isn't broken, my mate has had 3 Bravia 42" through warranty and doesn't think his newest one is any better.

Octy VRS
Everyone has different experiences with different manufacturers whether it's a car or an electric whisk. Plenty of companies have had to recall items in the past, just a shame that it's come along at a bad time for them. Pretty much every thing I have in the house entertainment wise past and present is Sony and I've never had any problems. Excluding the PS3, which is now fine again after repair.

Listerine & Poledo
Quality is almost directly proportional to price.

a 32" TV that costs £700 is likely to be of better quality than one costing £300.

gets whatcha pays for, innit.

Nothing concrete in my statement sir, just observation.

I disagree, my 50" LG cost less than that and it isn't broken, my mate has had 3 Bravia 42" through warranty and doesn't think his newest one is any better.

LG is generally good stuff, but I stick by overpriced Sony kit in the same way Apple users stick with theirs

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
But as usual, price doesn't 100% guarantee quality. I'd simply never pay that kind of money for a small Sony TV.

My pischy 50" still pwns your 32".

Male size > Female size.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm exactly the same as you Tom, everything I ever bought when I was younger was Sony, purely because I wanted it to be the best. That really doesn't seem to be the case any more (quite sad really).

I almost went for the Bravia when buying a new TV but fortunately chose the LG instead, thank god. I hate messing around with warranty.

Last edited:
  SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I see the Apple argument banded around here in regards to overpaying. That is a load of b****cks, Apple stuff is genuinely better than all the other PC stuff. Where-as Sony dropped a bollock about 10 years ago and have yet to find it.

Octy VRS
We have recently become aware of a potential issue affecting a very limited number of BRAVIA LCD TV models, which have been available for purchase in Europe since June 2007.The model numbers are
• KDL-40D3400, KDL-40D3500, KDL-40D3550, KDL-40D3660
• KDL-40V3000, KDL-40W3000, KDL-40X3000, KDL-40X3500
The issue came to our attention through reports in Japan that a limited number of products might contain a component affected by a quality issue, which in a rare number of cases might over-heat and ignite inside the television and possibly result in the melting of the upper casing of the television
To date, there have been no reports of any damage to other property or physical injuries.
However, as part of our ongoing commitment to customer service and satisfaction, and as a precaution, Sony is voluntarily initiating a programme to perform a free inspection and, if necessary, a free repair to reassure you that these products meet your expectations of our high standards for quality and safety.
If you own one of the products mentioned above, we invite you to contact your nearest Service Centre to arrange an inspection of your BRAVIA TV.
Following your request, Sony’s service representative will promptly visit to check your TV, and will repair it as promptly as possible if it has the affected component.
Important:If you own one of the products mentioned above and if you notice any abnormality (e.g. unusual noise, unusual smell or smoking), please turn it off immediately, unplug the power cable, stop using the TV, and contact us.We have confirmed that this symptom does not occur when power is switched off.
In the unlikely event that you are affected by the issues above, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Sony strives to constantly improve the quality standards of our products to thevery highest level. Your understanding and cooperation are highly appreciated.
So, not a recall. A faulty component that could have been supplied by a third party as a lot of these things are. The usual bandwagon jumping was expected.

My parents need that betamax. They have the same one, but it wouldn't play tapes when we got it out the other month. Mum wanted to transfer some family tapes over.

Listerine & Poledo
But as usual, price doesn't 100% guarantee quality. I'd simply never pay that kind of money for a small Sony TV..

Well, no, I wouldn't now either.

But this was 5 years ago I spent that much, so the context is slightly different

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
so s**t that it's got to have 7 processors, a blu-ray drive and came out with wi-fi and bluetooth vuilt in.

yep, that's gash, Far better to get a console that's running 90's tech with several band-aid solutions bolted on
7 processors, lol

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I had this problem with my tv at easter, i had the KDL40V3000, the top 1/3rd of the screen stopped showing a picture, then the thing smelt of melting plastic, took it back to the sony centre, and after a month of them trying to fix it, they decided to replace it with a higher model up the range the KDL40EX503, which won whathifi tv product of the year, was very happy apart from having no tv for a month

I wouldn't touch any Sony stuff, especially any of their software which is dire.

They just seem the 'cheap and cheerful' type of electronics, even though a lot of it isn't cheap!