ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Hmmmm interesting, the pads are DS3000 (brand new) and discs have only done 1 hour of racing and 30 min of quali (also a test day 45 min). Im not hard on the brakes and always do the correct bedding in procedure. The discs have only ever seen DS3000.

Hi Sonny, bit of a mixed day for you - at least you're out there! Think we run with .5 to 1mm toe out and that about the most you'd need I suspect. Do you know how much you had?

Dare I say try some EBC yellows with Brembo HC Disc's? Around £88 for front pads and £40 for the disc's, just chuck any old £10 pads in the rear, this is what we run with and never experienced any issues at the level we're at.

Getting the Cup ready this weekend for Rockingham on the 21st June.

I normally run 10' out per axle but decided to try 20' out per axle at Donny, at Cambe I ran 10' toe in, was actually pretty good but standing start suffered.
That sounds a good set up, I ran EBC YS before but had a bad experience with them. They prob do the job on the Clio very well though, one of the Clios was running them at the weekend.

Good luck for Rock mate, are you coming to Snet?

Were you running toe out at the rear then sonny?

I bet that was twitchy! The most I would run at the rear would be zero toe.

clio cup
Mine is straight even after crashing into the floor twice!
Although I bet if I'd of checked it before hand it would of been out.

Have you not checked it on a hunter system then? Or with string?

Of course, i have been using the trakrite toe device to workout my settings as using the strings is a pain due to driveway not being level and my garage being too tight.

The rear beam is 15minutes toe out (7.5 either side), Without any shims. I take it this is the standard set up for a 172 cup?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Of course, i have been using the trakrite toe device to workout my settings as using the strings is a pain due to driveway not being level and my garage being too tight.

The rear beam is 15minutes toe out (7.5 either side), Without any shims. I take it this is the standard set up for a 172 cup?
Yeah that should be standard for any 1*2 mate. There's a tolerance though of course, but it's monumentally big to accommodate any deviation during manufacture/use.

It's true.

Apparently Tyre Traders bought the last 200 to come into the country in 195/50/15 and then sold them all in 2 weeks.

Few pics from Round 3 at Donington, Tricolore Trophy

2014DoningtonRace3142_zps59284433.jpg

2014DoningtonRace313_zps07818be3.jpg

2014DoningtonRace312_zps5d0bfbef.jpg

2014DoningtonRace310_zps6d4e5d46.jpg

2014DoningtonRace297_zps5f9c3834.jpg

2014DoningtonPractice16_zpsc5849a09.jpg

2014DoningtonRace223_zps3ae7f4e0.jpg

Update:

While the Snetterton race is just over a week away I finally had a bit of time to work on the Clio. I fitted 2 new inner tie rods as the old ones was pretty shot, I manage to change out the rods using a 32mm fan spanner.

2 x new R888 ordered for the fronts, new HC brake discs and DS1.11 pads will be going on ready for Snett.

As luck would have it, my girlfriends Dad has a lave in his workshop so will de-glaze my old discs and be used as spares.

All is needed now is an alignment check that I will conduct next week.

Also my AST 5100 (sportline II) with AST top mounts, have been dispatched, unfortunately I wont be fitting these in time for Snett, do to a number of reasons being, time fitting, setting up corner weighting and testing. However I shall promise to have them fitted in time for Silverstone in August.

So next race is at Snetterton with the Tricolore Trophy next weekend (Sat 12th July).

Timing as follows

Sign and scrute on 09:00 - 0930

Quali 10:30

Race one 14:15

Race Two 17:20

Any one there, feel free to pop over for a chat :)

P.S once fitted, my KTEC solid top mounts with fixed strut brace will be up for sale along with my uprated Spax RSX coilover kit

RACE REPORT: Snetterton 2014

Had a week off work, so had plenty of time to prep the car for the race at Snett. Went for a new set of front tyres (R888 195/5015s) New HC front brake discs and new Ferodo DS1.11 pads (Thanks George), Fitted all this alone with a new Skoda front splitter as my OEM one had seen better days.

Did a full break bleed with help from the girlfriend (put her to use pumping that pedal) along with a full smart string geo and reduced camber by -0.4 deg

Arrived at the circuit and set up, did the usual car checks, and also another quick string geo check, done some pre pad bedding in at the circuit prior to Quali.

Quali

Last time I did Snet was in 2012 and having never done the 200 layout I managed a 1.33 which put me 14th on the grid (out of 34).

Race 1:

Race 1 went well, the car handled perfectly and everything was great, the brake pads was fantastic, however I still had to brake early, due to the wilwoods locking up. Its time I should really fit a brake bias valve to compensate this, but im used to applying the correct brake modulation to threashhold brake. I am going to run my OEM set up at the next race to see if it eliminates the problem.
My Vbox failed to record the first race, again I have had a few probs now which I need to sort out as this has happened twice now.

best time 1.31 finished 14th 2ic

Race 2

After the first race I de-glazed the pads (they was showing a very light glaze, but no juddering) with some emery paper, this proved to be worth it as it made the breaking even better. I really do rate those DS1.11s, prob the best Ferodo pad I have used, My friend rates them from his rally days. Had a good race, improved in lap times, managed a 1.30 lap finished 13th 2ic

This time the Vbox managed to record something.

Race 2 vid http://youtu.be/gAWLlpqXvUY

On the way home from Snetterton, driving along the M11, I came across an RTA that had just happened, car had spun and crash, the occupants was standing by there car bleeding pretty bad, so I pulled over and assisted first aid (being a FPOSI trained), made a pressure dressing out of some workshop towels. So stayed with the casualties until the emergency services arrived, while waiting the heavens decided to open and got absolutely soaked....after 30 min I left the scene (after handing the casualties over to the fire service) arrived home at nearly 10pm...what a day!

Well, had a really good weekend and am looking forward to Silverstone next month. I am now half way through my 1st season racing, and am so happy I started what I have always dreamed of doing. The car, mechanically has been sound, no engine problems, no lights on dash, nothing, only problems have been down to chassis related incidents, such as the handing, suspension, brakes and the gear box selector being hit.

In regards to further mods to the car, I am still waiting on the AST suspension hahahahaha (even though it was suppose to be sent out over a week ago), so hopefully I shall have that fitted for Silverstone, along with my standard brakes. Maybe after silverstone, go for a remap refresh.

Thanks for reading

Sonny

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
iirc the tyre temps was around 53deg buy the time I got to the paddock. Tyre pressure was around 31psi, the car handled better in the second race when I dropped the cold pressures down buy 5 psi to what I normally run. Will also add that the brakes was locking up too.

I checked the car over this morning and one of the brake discs was wobbling also the wheel studs was lose....not sure what's caused that. I was getting brake judder that day (new pads) so maybe it could have been this that was causing it (or maybe it was the judder that caused it?).

I told you what the brake judder is mate. It's ds3000 pads. They leave material
on the discs.... Makes it feel like the disc is warped.

Went through 2 sets of new discs before I worked out what was happening. Awful pads. Avoid.

182cup & 172 racecar
I did.mean a clio one. I've just raced in a standard 106 this weekend at snett and got the discs glowing but still no warpness. Should try harder I suppose.