ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Mintex F4r absolutely superb pad. Easily the best I've used on Clio.

Yes, looking forward to getting the Alcons on. James picking them up today for me and fitting next week. TOTAL waste of money. I was drunk last night and standing next to the two Clios feeling out blinged. Wallet came out lol

What discs was you using with the DS3000's? was they grooved? If so the groves should clean the face of the pad, or at least keep the build up to a minimal, maybe de-glazing them after a race/track day would prolong the life? Generally im not a fan of drilled discs, as these can act like a "cheese grater" and cut into the pads, its this that normally crates the warping effect on discs.

clio cup
Steer clear from drilled discs as the holes are a weak point which cause the disc to crack during hear cycles

Update: March 2014

The new Tricolore Trophy sun strip arrived and fitted today, looks pretty good imo

New R888 ordered, these should be fitted in the next two days ready for Rockingham on Saturday.

Also finally got round to ordering a VBOX lite (2 cam system), so this will be plumbed into the car ready for the weekend too...

Cleaned both sets of Speedlines, and gave the car a hoover out...will give it a final clean on Thursday.

I now have the 33/37 5th gear, hoping Matt has time to fit it in the week.

So...car is almost ready to race. :evil:

17e3ef30-ef5e-490e-8dcd-c33a24ff45dd_zpsf7ea3368.png

clio cup
Looking good Sonny and always good to give you extra work a few days before a meeting!

Have you tried your crash helmet on with that beard of yours, you can borrow my open face if it doesnt, lol

Good project, just read this from start to finish. The cars come a long way and looks great.

I'll be at rockingham on Saturday so I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Hello Matt its been a while! Glad to see this cars been keeping you busy.

Yes thanks it's all loaded up and ready to go.

We're both looking forward to a new season and a new challenge.
Plenty of quick cars in the tricolore trophy so will be interesting and hopefully some close racing between the new and the old.

Hope all is well with you and maybe catch up with you at a meeting this year :)

Clio.
Yep, has been a while....!
All the best of luck to you guys. Miss the 'orrible lot! (And mums lemon cake).
It would be good to catch up soon.

Cheers Matt!

Haha no doubt she will be baking something for the weekend.

Take it easy mate, have a good one.

Determined to come along and spectate some races this year!!

How much did you get your 888s for Sonny if you don't mind me asking? Can PM me if you wish.

I'll be needing some soon and was wondering where they were being sold cheapest..

Update: April 2014

Matt from CodeRed came over today, and after having a brew, he cracked on and swapped out the 5th gear (33/37), after that we then removed the steering lock, one job I still had not got around to doing.

It was like Christmas had come early today, my R888 arrived today, so popped round to the local back street garage and had those put on the Speedlines, and second package of the day was my Video Vbox lite with OLED display....just at work now reading the instructions...so gone are the days of my s**tty GoPro.

So just tomorrow morning left to give the race car a wash, pick up the trailer and load up. Im looking at getting to the Rock around 5/6pm...I will be kipping in the Rangey again. :approve:

Im really looking forward to Saturdays race, just hoping the weather holds out....im reading mixed reports at the moment!

Matts good side ;)

4D127DD2-5C90-4CA9-B55B-88C469EC0CB6_zpsyllsj8pc.jpg

f2eb090d-950a-44e9-b994-66811088b61e_zps77b195c9.jpg

New toy with OLED display, roll bar mounts, 12v hardwire power display and OBD2 lead to read throttle trails (hopeing it works with the GEN90?). Gutted im sitting at work right now, I want to be setting this baby up and playing.

F46469F9-306E-4DAB-A3E3-23E954946FFA_zpsr0ab1ovv.jpg

So, there is not much left to do on the car now...only one thing I want are some ASTs and some seat rails wielded in so I can lose the OMP subframe, and even p[possibly a new bucket seat.

New cams and map going coming in a few weeks and that's the budget blown for the moment

Last edited:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Did you get the vbox direct ? I have been looking to get one but wondered if there are any deals on at the moment.
Cheers

Clio.
Is fitting the 5th gear a difficult job with the gearbox in situ?

Good luck for Saturday, which race is it?

No, not really.
Hardest job is driving out the roll pin that holds the 5th gear selector fork on.
(there is a special tool that helps remove the hub from the syncro though).

Race summary

Round 1, Rockingham

Qualified 10th (1.41 lap).

Race 1 finished 6th

Race 2 finished 7th

Overall very good weekend, good to meet up with old and new faces, you know who you are.

Being a small grid of 15 cars (dropping down to 10 in the final race) and Rockingham being a large circuit there was always the chance of an empty circuit when everyone had found their legs and had stretched out, this was most certainly the case for me, in both races, I was by myself most of the time, so this gave me the time to experiment with lines and gears through some of the corners, while maintaining a race pace. I managed a 1.41 lap in qualifying that put me 10th on the grid, not bad, I knew I would be 5 seconds beyond the fastest car (test day proved that 2 weeks ago) I hit my limit with the 1.41. Race 2 the fastest lap was also 1.41, while I actually got slower by race 2 I managed a 1.42/3.

The car performed relatively well, but the suspension was holding me back, it was not giving me the confidence to push faster through the corners, as the car felt unstable..something I need to look into. I managed to lock up a few times into turn 10 (conceived there was a spot of oil there from the R5, anyone else experience that?

The VBOX Lite software is pretty impressive, been analysing my lines, example you can pick two lines and see your car drive side by side and see the difference in turn in points, gear change etc.

I'm trying to trim the video footage down as its boring after the 2nd lap as its just me on track, so bear with me.

Few pics from the day

Around the Paddock

2014RockinghamPaddock01_zps48899314.jpg

2014RockinghamPaddock02_zps8b97e8ca.jpg

2014RockinghamPaddock04_zps8e495341.jpg

Races

2014RockinghamPaddock09_zpse1145257.jpg

2014RockinghamPaddock08_zps4050895d.jpg

2014RockinghamPaddock06_zps3fe0d6c3.jpg

2014RockinghamPaddock47_zps22ee22e7.jpg

2014RockinghamPaddock46_zps19975776.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamPractice17_zpsd5d2f113.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamPractice26_zps5ff899b9.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamRace106_zps5999c0ca.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamRace116_zps725a1a17.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamRace121_zpsa182772a.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamRace130_zps4739057c.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamRace177_zps774f54fc.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamRace209_zpsb817f855.jpg

2014TricoloreRockinghamRace208_zpsd5a41bc4.jpg

Big thanks to Marc Lawrence (TARC photographer) http://s197.photobucket.com/user/Daddycolgate/library/?sort=9&page=0

Bit of an update:

Checked over the rear suspension yesterday due to the car being unstable at the last race meeting and my suspicions was confirmed. Shock horror my Spax RSX rear strut had decided to dump its oil, on moving the arm up and down, air can be heard hissing from the strut.

So, quick call to KTEC (whom I purchased the units from) and they offered to send replacement out, however I decided to opt and deal straight with Spax to speed up the process. This week I will send both units off to be tested, hopefully they will both be fooked and I will get 2 new replacements. I may add that customer service so far with ktec and Spax have been spot on. Let shope the Easter Hols dont delay things. Always dramas :dead:

I will still go ahead with my original attentions and uprate the springs all round (outlay around £120) this will be a cheaper and quick fix to a half decent suspension set up.

This will give me time to save and order a set of ASTs, the "quick fix" stiffer springs and Spax should be ok for Castle Combe in May.

Gutted as the car was suppose to have cams fitted this week

Few pics of the Spax

3BE8767F-FA09-4A67-B9B0-25398ECEC0E0_zps9mwiw6zp.jpg

82464B82-CD25-4A60-9F3F-FC0514C8DFE3_zpsap0dfrwy.jpg

Range Rover Sport
Thanks for the PM earlier buddy.

Typical with these cars, plan one thing and something else pops up.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Whole floor is being totally redone as something went wrong on first attempt! Sandblasted first.... In next few weeks I hope.

Just cant get the staff these days ;) and look at his scruffy clothes!