ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

Long over due update....

I only started working on the car last month, mainly due to weather and work (shock) the main aim was to strip all the undercarriage components down to clean and inspect and replace any worn items.

So work carried out: Remove and check;
Suspension
Brakes
Drive shafts
Subframe and whishbones
Rear beam and mounts
Hubs
Callipers
Engine/box mounts

A few things came up, main one was a leaking driver side drive shaft from the inner gear box side gaiter, managed to pick up a second hand item., I am convinced the gaiter get shot due to the 182 manifold fitted, as if it was a 182 Clio it would have came with the sealed 2 piece shaft and would leak in the same place.
Next was to look at the sub-frame at the rear whishbone bolt hole for any elongation, there was to some degree but not as much as I have seen on before. These was replaced with some PMS spherical bearings and the strengthen wishbones, these was purchased from BigAsh and was in very good condition, so saved a few bucks there.
Next was to look at the rear beam, the beam still had the original bushes on, which had a lot of movement probably due to years of oil leaks eating away at the rubber, these was replaced by PMS spherical bearings with James old beam. While the beam was off I cut out the 6 x chassis trailing arm captive bolts and replaced with 12.9 cap head bolts, these will make life a little easier removing the beam in the future. To compliment this I sold my Whiteline ARB to fund the purchase of a 19mm PMS RARB from the CS group buy. I popped this on and does look pretty good, so cant wait to try it out on track, after having the Whiteline one for over 2 years. I didn't go for the PMS strengthening kit and/or the 22mm RARB option as I wanted some flex in the beam, will come in handy in the wet!
Next was the hubs, front hubs was sent off to Mark, northloop cup for the roll correction upgrade, looking forward to seeing what a difference these make, hopefully they will be here by the end of the month.
Engine and gearbox mounts was next, I noticed there was a lot of movement in the upper box mount, esp in the rubber(anyone else notice this?), also the bottom 19mm not was on as tight as it should have been, so will look into other options for the mounts, the PMS kit has got my attention. The dogbone mount (subframe bolt) could have gone tighter too, bearing in mind I hadn't checked this since Cadwell in September.
All brake pads and discs was in great condition, enough to be reused for season opener at least.
On inspection of one of the AST rear struts I noticed that the threaded bolt had slightly bent, not sure why this had happened, it only had seen 2 race meetings, AND seen no curb action or over tightening of the nut...so I have refitted, and will keep my eye on it.
Steering rack bushes was replaced to the Polybush black series items, and also changed out the rear upper top mounts bushes to the Black series items, so this should tighten the top up a treat and steering.

Engine/gearbox wise, I was going to send my engine off to EngineDynamics in Essex to have some work done, but after talking to James I ended up buying his project engine that he had been working on and planning to race next season, as it was almost complete with the bits and pieces that I was going to get done, so it made sense to buy his. I dropped it off at a local engine builder I know to get it finished off to my spec, however I have reached my budget so will be opting for 432 cams, non VVT and High comp (as it had the pistons/rods already) I will keep the rev limit below 8k.
The car is already booked into being mapped at EFI Parts at the end of the month (after a lot of thought on who I wanted to do it, I wanted it to be done right first time and someone who really knew and understood Gen90) Will be a very long drive having to come from Kent but hopefully be worth it.

Apart from that, car will need its geo done, esp squaring off the rear beam as its prob pointing in a different direction now, I promise I wont leave it so long til the next update ;)

Thanks for reading.

Renault Clio 172
That's better! A good update.

It's sounds awesome that mate. I can only imagine I'll be seeing you in front of me next season! Looking forward to the season:)

Thanks mate, there's still so many other jobs to do on the car, but its just a case of funds really...next job is to weld in the seat rails, making the cog lower, also some jack points (where the originals are), also a new brake servo and lines.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Interested to see how you get on without the VVT. I'm debating what to do with my forged engine, would be a waste not putting some BIG cams in down the line.

Little bit more work done on the car today, got the Ezi bleed out and blew the rear lines through after removing the calipers and brake lines, also tidied up the engine loom some more, just waiting on the arrival of some P clips before I can secure the loom (its still the Renault loom so nothing special) just the plastic trays that hold it all in place has been removed. At some point next season I do want to do a total strip down, might get @dinger to hep me ;)

Also centralized the engine, nipped up all mount bolts etc...so just the boring jobs.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it will be interesting having never driven one without it, but its something I have been wanting to do for a while now. What cams are you thinking Tom?
I've been looking at the usual 422/423 but I've also been considering using a 197/200 dephaser with catcams 404 and mapping in the continuous vvt control

I really would like to. It's kind of a longer term plan. Only got the car last October, picked it up cheap as it hadn't had an oil change in 45k miles... Intended it to be a track car, did Snetterton twice and now it's stripped and sat in the garage waiting for a roll cage from the mark fish group buy. Planning to try to keep it MSA spec as I go along.

Budget isn't massive so trying to spread the cost out but still enjoy track days in the process. Can't decide if I should spend money on the engine, had intended to blow it up then sort a more loved one to replace it.

Sorry sonny, stealing your thread with my life story!

182cup & 172 racecar
No need to go over the top.
Roll cage fire x, cut off switch, job done.
We run a production class, and that's all you have to do.
Forget building a high spec car to start with
a, cost a fortune
b, you are not going to win class A
So just go out and enjoy yourself.

Renault Clio 172
I really would like to. It's kind of a longer term plan. Only got the car last October, picked it up cheap as it hadn't had an oil change in 45k miles... Intended it to be a track car, did Snetterton twice and now it's stripped and sat in the garage waiting for a roll cage from the mark fish group buy. Planning to try to keep it MSA spec as I go along.

Budget isn't massive so trying to spread the cost out but still enjoy track days in the process. Can't decide if I should spend money on the engine, had intended to blow it up then sort a more loved one to replace it.

Sorry sonny, stealing your thread with my life story!

As Tony said, don't over do it. Mine was standard class for the last couple of races last season, and was amazing fun! You don't have to spend a fortune!

clio cup
Don't listen to Tony or Andrew as they should practice what they preach.Lol
Get out there and have some fun, there will always be someone to have a great race with, then next season you can throw all your credit cards at it!

Exactly, if your thinking about it get the ball rolling now. Its gonna cost you just to get yourself in the seat, ARDSs test, license fee, medical, race suit, boots, gloves and helmet not to mention transponder fee/subscription/hire.. And all this even before you work on the car.

Yea this is it, it all adds up! The production class probably is a sensible route, it's not too far away from what I had planned. I'll have to look at springs on standard dampers instead of coilovers. To clarify when I said spend money on the engine, I just meant belts and dephaser, hesitant to spend on such a neglected lump. I'll do some more track days this year, probably fit the cutoff/fire x too. Sort engine stuff next winter then look to get race ready next year. But who knows what will really happen!