ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Someone sort my head out..

200 Gordini
I'm very close to signing for a Albi blue 200 with cup pack, Recaros, cornering lights, bluetooth etc. system, folding mirrors. I am getting it for cost price. I'll probably negotiate some speedlines in too ;)

I own a nice 182, I bought it completely standard and have spent alot of time and money getting it to how I want.

The thing is, I decide i want the 200 then change my mind, I then do this again and again and again.. normally around 30 times a day :boring:

I love my 182, it's had everything done to it while still keeping it an immaculate and unmolested example but the 200 is a brand new and a much better car. The only thing i wasn't happy with the 200 was the straight line speed. The one i drove only had 4 miles on the clock but after talking and PM'ing 197 and 200 owners they say the engine does loosen up and there would be no difference between the 200 and 182.

Engine wise, my 182 has had matched inlets, straight through milltek exhaust, modified cat, V6 espace indction set up and a remap so it will pull much better than a standard 182, therefore quicker than a 200 but shall i trade a quicker car in for a better car?

The main reason i would sell the 182 is because they are becoming very cheap therefore they are probably the one of the first thing young drivers look at (now, im only 20 myself but by no means a rude boy street racer). Also with people trying to be 'different' they are ruining a perfectly good car and making them look s**t (best to be honest)!

I look at mine after a wash and am still in love with the car, its very well maintained and wont need touching for a long time unless something goes wrong.. which is another reason I should go for the 200.. Warranty! (albeit pish renault warranty)

So, as the title.. what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Black Clio GT
imo if your still changing your mind then its not time to sell up......

very easy to say take the chance that the 200 will be loved and enjoyed just as much but how easy do you think you could shift the 200 on/how much money would you loose/how easy would it be to get another 182 i the same condition as the one you have now if you decided the 200 is not what you hoped??

Megane 225
Keep the 182! They'll not lose much more money now, compared to the 3k you'll lose driving the 200 out of the showroom!

320d
Just go for it mate. If your getting it cheap why not. I'm not a big fan of Albi personally though. I'd go for Ultra Red or Alien Green personally.

200 Gordini
Keep the 182.

Coming from someone with a 200? Why is this?

imo if your still changing your mind then its not time to sell up......

very easy to say take the chance that the 200 will be loved and enjoyed just as much but how easy do you think you could shift the 200 on/how much money would you loose/how easy would it be to get another 182 i the same condition as the one you have now if you decided the 200 is not what you hoped??

I think thats what stopping me.. missing the 182

Everyone on RS who have gone from a 182 to a 200 have not regretted it one bit :S

Keep the 182! They'll not lose much more money now, compared to the 3k you'll lose driving the 200 out of the showroom!

That doesn't bother me as i'll be keeping it 2/3 years.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Everyone on RS who have gone from a 182 to a 200 have not regretted it one bit :S
Flip side being those that have stayed with the older car, and not regretted it. Personally, I can't see why you'd go for a 200 if changeing.

If you want to change, there are better cars around (if a better cabin, more refinment etc are a factor). You'd be spending a fair wedge for a car that's no quicker, and by all accounts less 'fun' to drive.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Id wait until they drop a bit, let someone else take the brunt of the depreciation drop.

Id never ever buy a new Renault

Mk5 golf gti
personally if you love the 182 so much then things can only get better with the 200

go for it :)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think they are nice cars but not worth the price tag. In a couple of years when you're paying off the car and want a house you'll need to sell the car and save cash. Then you'll think about how you had just of kept the 182. Maybe look a little long term and how it'll affect the next 5 years of your life. 16k on a 200 is alot of money, esp given that a 182 is about 5k.

Swift Sport
Only you can decide mate, I'd consider upgrading to a 200 but instead I will probably go for a DC5 as I've owned 4 Clios now and fancy something different (and better, hopefully)

PS 200
Coming from someone with a 200? Why is this?
I had a suzuki swift before I got the 200 ;):D.

You don't sound convinced that you think the 200 is different enough (and you even sound like you may think the 200 will be less of a car in some respects).

I reckon you should wait a year and see how you feel - the Next Clio is bound to be even better than the 200.

The 200 is the best car I've had for driving on the a-b roads in Aberdeenshire (Had Impreza STi, Audi 3.0 sport, Focus ST170 amongst others).

I've not driven a 182 and I'd be surprised if it's anything like as good as a 200 in the bendy stuff.

You should also state what "cost" price means - if you're talking 14k for the spec you've mentioned then it makes it more attractive

Wait n see is still my advice.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Danny_172 said:
I tend to agree but runnning costs on higher end cars stay the same regardless how cheap it can be picked up for and in some cases higher as it gets older as your well aware!
Mmmm. Mpg would be similar, depreciation would offset any servicing/consumable costs.

Swift Sport
Just for the record, I don't regret selling my 182. I miss the ecconomy of the 182 and the fact that it cost me alot less, but my 197 is awesome in comparison to the 182 in almost every way. It handles better, stops quicker, drives better, comfier, looks better, gets more attention (ASW:eek:), better driving position, more composure on track. Faster? Meh, who cares... It's a better car.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Mmmm. Mpg would be similar, depreciation would offset any servicing/consumable costs.

Good points there, i know what id rather (and i cant believe the price of S3's now :S since the facelift came out)

Just for the record, I don't regret selling my 182. I miss the ecconomy of the 182 and the fact that it cost alot less, but my 197 is awesome in comparison to the 182 in almost every way. It handles better, stops quicker, drives better, comfier, looks better, gets more attention (ASW:eek:), better driving position, more composure on track. Faster? Meh, who cares... It's a better car.

In alot of respects probably but alot will disagree but then opinions are what make the world go round lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I would for sure, but not in Albi. 197 only imo, something i cant put my finger on with the 200 in Albi.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
I think the fact you've already speeced the car you want and sorted out what it'll cost you, you've already decided.
The doubt is only there because it's a big step, in terms of making a purchase.

Swift Sport
I think the fact you've already speeced the car you want and sorted out what it'll cost you, you've already decided.
The doubt is only there because it's a big step, in terms of making a purchase.

Agreed. If you want one and can afford one, do it. Make sure you're ready for poor fuel ecconomy, it ain't pretty. If you don't do it now you'll do it later and wish you'd done it sooner.

Mini Cooper S sport
Doooooooo it! That 'new car' feeling is awesome.

I was really reluctant to sell my 182 and sad to see it go, but haven't regretted it all, I still love the R26. If you can get a 200 at cost, you might as well go for it.

Alien Green or Ultra Red though over Albi Blue.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Doooooooo it! That 'new car' feeling is awesome.

I was really reluctant to sell my 182 and sad to see it go, but haven't regretted it all, I still love the R26. If you can get a 200 at cost, you might as well go for it.

Alien Green or Ultra Red though over Albi Blue.

Or liquid yellow......... ;)

S

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Would look better if its nose was liquid yellow, or if it didn't have teeth. I dunno, I'll never like that front end :(

I said that about the 197 then the 200- both grew on me- the 200 is growing on me faster than the 197 did- although I doubt I will have it for long- although at least im not desperate to sell it..

S

Stagecoach Ticket
Why dnt you just keep your 182 as its mint and mechanically sound
you would save alot of money and have alot more pride in say maybe camming the 182 to take it up to nearly 200bhp anyway?

Stagecoach Ticket
Oh and as for the boy racer comment, you will find that with 90% of cars mate
i haven seen loads of expensive cars tht look shite! at my local tesco

Example: BMW M3 53 plate on massive 18 dog wolf race rims
Astra VXR coverd in twatish stickers like "nos"

The 200 will be no different in 6 months anyone can have a sub 20k nice car with finance these days

DB.

BMW 440i
Buy Steves LY200! Nicer than the blue imo. :)

Its a step up in car terms due to being newer/a more modern style/less miles/fresher etc, although performance wise it's not.

Most people think you always need to upgrade performance wise, but if your happy with the level of performance, then your upgrading to a newer and better car. If you can afford to, i would.

Swift Sport
My 200 would look like this...

4601928495_d221a69bea_o.png

Lotus Exige, 182
When I specced one up the way I wanted, it came to over 18k. I almost purchased it, for all the reasons already given by others in this thread the 200 is a massive step up on the 182...

But, as others have also said already, it will depreciate so much that, for me, its just not worth it. For virtually the same price, I can get a nice Z4MC/R, which has done most, if not all of its depreciation already. Alternatively, wait 12/18 months, your 182 will not lose a great deal more, and then buy a second hand 200 and let someone else take that depresciation hit. I'm going to go with one or other of these choices anyway!

200 Gordini
All other cars are out of the equation except a Megane R26, Focus ST and Astra VXR.. these are simply for the Turbo and tuning capabilities.

I'd prefer to stick with the Clio due to insurance, servicing, general costs etc. but I still want to have a fairly quick car in a straight line. Clio's are also ALOT of fun.

If I could justify the price of LY or AG i'd spec that but I cant when deep down I need a blue car lol I'd also consider Storm Grey.

If I can get 6k for my car then I think I'll be signing on the dotted line very soon, i wouldn't get the car until 1st September so I'd have a few months to say my goodbyes to my 182.

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
to pay 16 grand for a clio imo is crazy theres so much more car out there for 16k as sum1 said an s3 even an 05 plate m3 if u want a more refined car then why get another clio and if u want fun and stuff then just keep the 182 same thrills no big price tag if u want refined get a better car worthy of a 16k price tag