ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some Clio Info (197 / 200)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im possibly looking to buy another car early next year for the mrs and im looking at 197s & 200s (Money Depending)

Now i know there is a 172/182 Guide. Cup Packs/Spec Info on the site but im wondering if there is anything like it for the 197/200 ?

Im not clued up with R27s & F1s so i have no idea what they mean, All i know is that you can get a 197 or a 200.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Best place is clio197.net for 197/200 info.

Sorry for advertising the 'other' site, but it is better for the 197/200 owners.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I think there might be a guide on 197 .net

197 06 onwards- Standard trim.-
Key options Climate control & Projector lights + electric folding mirrors-

197 07 - 57 is R27
Standard was Recaros & plaque & cup pack Chassis
Options as above
Key options Climate control & Projector lights + electric folding mirrors
Revised gear Ratio-
Aero Kit available as option- not many specced at all ( Splitter spoiler & sills)

57 IIRC 197 Cup-
No frills 197 - keys instead of keyless, non colour coded side strips No A/C- revised gear ratios-
Options-
Recaros, A/C, Speedlines introduced & again Aero Kit

On 57 Cars ( FF ) you could spec ALL of the R27 extras minus the plaque.

08 -09- 197 LUX - pointless edition with leather standard seats.

Clio 200 similar-

200 Base model-
Climate as standard-
Key options-
Cup chassis , Recaros ( better updated ones )- Speedlines,- Aero kit reduced to spoiler & sills-, electric folding mirrors, Projector lights, & carbon pack- ( soft touch dash)

200 Cup-
Key entry, no spotlights, non colour coded bump strips, no A/C-
Cup chassis as standard-

All of the above options except mirrors & carbon pack-

other varients of 200-- gordini- rubbish with clown wheels, silverstone- pretty good but expensive new, raider- looks like its crashed into halfords...

ideal ones to get-
R27 with climate & xenons ~£7k

Clio 200 FF with recaros speedlines + cup chassis as a min- 9 plate ~ 9k up to 12500 on the later plates --

other spec in the lists like leather recaros etc- very rare..

biggest fault- gearbox TL4 on the 197 & 200- 25% being replaced- renault have now revised the syncro to one peice.

other faults-
a/c compressors, window seals, worn recaros, steering racks & components not up to the task, brakes binding, crap head unit......

S

S

Mk3 Megane 250
Taken From Clio 197/200.net Courtesy of Noddie,

Common faults, and things to look for

• The standard cloth upholstery is very prone to wear on outer seat bolsters. While this is a known issue with the Recaros, the standard seats are also prone to wear, both of the cloth on the bolsters and to the foam inside the bolsters.

• The leather trim on the steering wheels also can wear badly, with the top layer peeling off. For seat repairs try local car upholstery places and expect to pay from £50 up. Steering wheels can be retrimmed with something special like alcantara, or replaced. New replacement wheels are available from the Renault accessories catalogue from around £160, retrimming would typically cost a similar amount.

• The wiper mechanisms can be problematic, especially on older cars. Check that the wipers operate freely and through the full sweep. Also check that they will operate on the higher speed – the greater drag of a sticking mechanism will stop the wipers from operating quickly.

• Make sure both key cards work, they are quite expensive to replace, (£170+) also check the lock buttons and unlock sensors on both front doors, these can be replaced by a competent DIY’er but the parts are typically around £85-£100 each (four in total, 2 x lock, 2 x unlock).

• While blown bulbs are a minor issue, changing headlamp bulbs is very awkward and can require the removal of the bumper. Where fitted, make sure that the cornering lamps work – if they don’t then the car may have had them retrofitted.

• Look out for holes on the tailgate where a spoiler has been fitted, and on the front bumper where a RenaultSport front chin spoiler has been fitted, but removed by a previous owner.

• Generally avoid cars with aftermarket induction systems, these Clios don't like them. Also exercise caution with “performance” exhausts, many of the more reasonably priced systems have a reputation for exaggerating a flat spot at moderate revs.

• Steering link rods seem prone to wear, which I understand is relatively common on many modern Renaults, relatively inexpensive to resolve.

• Mild steel exhausts systems will rot.

• Rattles from the rear are typically either the boot catch or the rear seat back catches.

• Suggestions of weak hub carrier joints, though to be honest I am only aware of one car that has been affected.

• Split rubber seats in the leading edge of the rear side windows.

• Glovebox doors can warp out of shape.

• Some early cars had problems with the A/C system.

• Gearboxes are known to be awkward when cold, but all changes should be smooth, especially when warm. More seriously both versions of the gearbox can be prone to premature syncro failure, this is generally most noticeable when changing down into 3rd gear, especially if you skip a gear, though other owners have first noticed issues with 4th.

• Some examples have been known to suffer poor door alignment, though this should be relatively easy to resolve.

• Avoid cars with patchy history or missed services, these cars are built to be used quite hard, but a degree of mechanical sympathy is still required, preventative maintenance should not be ignored and this includes regular oil changes, 12k is fine for a motorway car, but if using on track then oil changes should be made every 6k.

• Something that seems to have appeared relatively recently on older cars is a clunk from the steering when turning from lock to lock; while I don't believe this is really a safety issue, as far as I know the cause has not been fully diagnosed; if it is the PAS motor then I think that requires a complete upper steering column which is very expensive.

Higher mileage cars and those which have been used on track are not necessarily to be avoided. Renault built these cars with track use in mind and they do seem to hold up very well, just be more vigilant for any mechanical issues with cars that have perhaps had a harder life. As with any car there are good and bad examples out there, but find the right car and you will have a permanent grin when driving it.

Ownership Advice

One thing to be aware of is the fuel consumption, it isn't great. Not only do they like a drink, but they prefer the expensive stuff. The Clio has a knock sensor, so it can make the most of higher octane fuel. The benefits are most noticeable when the car is cold – on a standard ECU map, and running 95RON fuel these cars tend to be very lumpy when cold, often kangarooing embarrassingly until warmed up, using 97RON didn’t make much difference to me, but using 99RON the symptoms seem to be reduced – this seems to be the sentiment of a number of owners.

Check for blocked scuttle panel drain holes – this more of a maintenance issue, these are difficult to see without removing the scuttle trim but if blocked can immerse the wiper motor in rainwater.

Rear brake discs – OE discs come ready fitted with bearings and ABS tone wheels, cheaper aftermarket discs often don’t, and can work out more expensive.

Occasionally the auto wipers can have a mind of their own, typically rectified by a restart, and sometimes the dash lights won’t come on with the headlights, usually rectified by turning them off and back on again.

Performance Modifications

In terms of power increases, there isn’t an easy way to get significant gains, the F4R variant used in the 197 is already quite highly strung (though few make the quoted 197PS / 194BHP). Panel filters are a popular upgrade, though any power increase is unlikely to be noticed. Avoid messing with the secondary inlet trumpet, it opens above a certain rpm and its removal typically causes a fault light to illuminate.

The exhaust system starts with a nicely designed 4-2-1 manifold, with collector cat where the 2 pipes become 1. It is then followed by a secondary cat, which leads on to the rest of the system, with a large single silencer behind the rear diffuser. The standard manifold and primary cat design is pretty good, though gains can be made through the removal of this first cat and just relying upon the second for emissions testing. Be aware though that any reduction in back pressure typically exaggerates a midrange flat spot necessitating a remap to improve things.

Like the 1*2 the inlet manifold on the 197 responds well to port matching, with power gains in places across the rev range of upto 10BHP being reported by some companies.

Much beyond this your options are limited, performance cams are available, but these can require head work to provide enough clearance for more aggressive lobes, and if the cams are too aggressive then aftermarket management may be required, possibly with forged engine internals. The costs quickly spiral and you are still unlikely to achieve much more than 230BHP. Some tuning companies are developing supercharger kits though little appears to be known about their results or reliability.

Braking

The car loves to be used on the track, but the standard braking combination can quickly fade. There are many upgrades available, with different people swearing by their setup. The main issue with standard is that you can easily overheat the standard pads with a plain disc. This gives two choices, grooved discs to reduce the temperature of the pads, or hotter pads. Hotter pads are the cheaper option, however they can often be a bit wooden when cold, and their higher operating temperature could contribute to warping the discs. Grooved discs can be an expensive option, especially if you go for a bell and rotor setup, but you may be able to retain the relatively inexpensive standard pads and still get terrific braking.

Wheels / Spacers

Renault chose an unusual offset for the wheels at ET68. From some angles the wheels can appear too far hidden in the arches, many owners seem to try spacers for the cosmetic effect of filling the arches, but these same owners often seem to be selling the spacers quite soon afterwards, suggesting that altering the offset (with the spacers) has a detrimental impact upon handling.

Suspension

Lowering springs and coilover suspension are popular with some owners, if this is going to suit you really depends on what you are going to use the car for. Also remember that coilovers need careful setting up to be an improvement in anything more than cosmetics, or even to match the standard car.

LY 200
I would say the perfect option would be a 200 with the following if it's a daily driver. Cup chassis, leathers, speedlines and Bluetooth.

Recaros are decent but the ride was a lot harsher on the cup Chassid 197 I had which wasn't ideal for big miles.

200 Silverstone #41
The only fault/issue I have with my 200 is the cold start! It's painful, and I only ever use 99fuel! Fuel consumption - pretty good to be fair my drive to work involves 50mph roads which it loves in 6th and I am currently on an average of 34mpg (even the Renault dealer was shocked at this) I have an itg panel filter which does give a bit of a deeper induction sound not sure on power gains, exhaust wise it sounds good as standard but being 'active' doesn't sound good all the time, that's the only thing I would potentially look at changing, haven't heard in the flesh but centre silencer removal is quite popular!