ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some advice please!!

Hi all - you were all really helpful a while ago when I was after some advice re: my newly acquired Williams 3, so here I am again - no, dont run away!

Ive decided to trade in the williams (which ill miss, as shes a great drive - fast and on rails) and get a new renaultsport 172 in iceberg silver. Its an import, which doesnt bother me (or should it?) but Im confused regarding the warranty. It comes with a (balance of) 2 year warranty and Motorpoint tell me I can pay for a third if I want. Ive noticed a thread here previously saying imported cars *are* entitled to 3 years uk dealership warranties. Are there any catches to this, and does it mean Im wasting cash if i pay for the third year, or are motorpoint trying to rip me off?!!

Thanks in advance

Chris

With an official imported one you get 3 yrs warrenty, which is 1 yr from Renault uk and 2 from the main dealer. As long as it isnt imported from Cyprus you wont have a problem with warrenty.

Thanks Pete;

are there any catches/exclusions with the main dealer warranty? Its just that motorpoint are snapping at my heels for a decision re: the extended warranty theyre offering

Never bought a new car before - im on a real learning curve!

Chris

As I said renault uk are funny about cars imported from Cyprus, appart from that, as long as its from the EU there are no issues.

If you want to check this, ring Renault Uk and theyll confirm it. Im sure its been confirmed on here a couple of times.

Think motorpoint may be spinning you a line on that one! Sales targets etc!

cheers m8!!

Thinking of running it on optimax -what dya reckon?

Got some slick50 too (for after its run in) but ive heard good and bad things about this stuff......

Thanks again

Nothing but on mine, altho the nearest place that sells it is a good 15mile round trip away!!!

Shouldnt need slick50 on a new car.

get me the chassis number off the car and i will tell you
when the warranty starts and when it finishes - the 3rd year
warranty they try to sell you is with an independant warranty
company. on an unofficial import its a 2 yr warranty.

if youre gonna get an official import (surely as theyre french they are all imports though!!!), sack off motorpoint trying to sell you a third year warrenty, go to motorprovider.co.uk, 11850 gets you a new 172 with 3 year warrenty, same as a dealer car minus cat 1 alarm, cheapest in uk despite everyone on here thinking newcardiscount at 12500 for a preregisted 03 plate is cheaper, ive had mine a month now nearly and no problems, they do part exchange as well...

Sounds a good deal - though sadly Ive already paid my deposit :(

But your deal isnt too far from mine - Ive got same car for 11999 plus 350 for cat 1 alarm. Either way - its tons better than the official renault way - i wonder if they still get any private punters, or if theyre just all now fleet driven?