ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some advice for spark plug check/change and flat spot diagnostics

Flame red 172
Hi Guys,

My car (mk2 172) has seemed to develop a consistent flat spot between 1.5k and 2.5k when coming up to running temperature. I've had the car 2+ years now and although I've had it serviced each year (oil/filters), i'm sure the spark plugs have not been checked/changed.

So, think its about time I had a poke around and see if anything is untoward. I've seen the guide by ste which is great, but just have a few other questions:

When removing and replacing the upper intake manifold, do I need to replace any gasket(s) which connect it to the lower?

Removing the spark plugs - best when the engine is cold or warm?

Sensors, sensors, more sensors and throttle body? whilst i'm poking around here, makes sense to clean some of these - what's the best thing to use?

Anything else, I can check which might be linked to the flat spot? i'm open to suggestions!

Thanks,
Adam

Monaco Clio 172
Your plugs should of been changed on ya service. you dont need to replace any gaskets, just dont go mad when tightening the bolts on the plenum because you will rip the thread out

Monaco Clio 172
when my pre cat lambda was shot it made the car hold back quite a lot under hard acceleration. i also had engine management light on

182 Turbo Project
when my pre cat lambda was shot it made the car hold back quite a lot under hard acceleration. i also had engine management light on

With mine the management light didn't illuminate on the dash. I would bet it is the Lambda mate.

Flame red 172
Thanks guys, yes - plugs *should* have been checked on service but it was only a cheapo at a none Renault garage (£100 including MOT type of thing - I was being lazy) - i'm pretty sure they haven't been checked as the upper inlet does not seem like its been taken off in a while.

Lambda is a good call, had the same problem on another car before the clio.

Serv light is on! but has been for months (steering angle sensor or ABS problem) - got another (old) thread for that! :p

A.N. Other
That sort of service will likely be nothing more than an oil/oil filter/air filter change & probably a look around to see if anything looks worn out/broken.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
IIRC correctly the plugs are only due at 72k, and there is no age on that to. So a 20 year old clio with 71k on should "in theory" be on it's orginal plugs.

Standard NGK plugs are the ones to use.

53 Clio's & counting
Thanks guys, yes - plugs *should* have been checked on service but it was only a cheapo at a none Renault garage (£100 including MOT type of thing - I was being lazy) - i'm pretty sure they haven't been checked as the upper inlet does not seem like its been taken off in a while.

Lambda is a good call, had the same problem on another car before the clio.

Serv light is on! but has been for months (steering angle sensor or ABS problem) - got another (old) thread for that! :p

IF you get stuck or are still unsure mate, if you want to drive to Malmesbury at some point il change them for you

Hi all gonna do my plugs soon, what's the best set to get please
Cheers
Phil

You MUST use NGK PFR6E-10 **Nothing Else**

A.N. Other
Phil, just get NGK PFR6E-10 plugs from a local motor factors - it's what Renault use anyway AFAIK.
Mine's only done 40K but is 9years old and the plugs hadn't ever been changed - til I did them yesterday!

clio campus sport
Hi guys, sorry to hijack this thread. ive always been interested in cars but ive never worked on them or know much about engines. Im going to try and service the car myself, are there any videos or something that could help me? thanks