ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So many belts When to change them

Auxilliary belt, cambelt, timing belt? So many belts...

I am having a 172. It had run 25k.

When is the best time to renew the auxilliary belt? Haynes say 18k miles (for normal Clio MK2). Is that a bit too early?? Do I need to change the tensioner as well???

How about timing belt? Is that the same as cambelt? When should I change it in order to prevent serious problem? What else I need to change at the same time? Water Pump?

I want to keep my Clio 172 in good condition. oil change at 5k with throttle cleaning is what I do. What else? I had renewed my suspension with Eibach + Koni with Powerflex bumpstop. Is that necessary to change the suspension bushes too??? I hate to see my car got problem.

Well, please leave me some advice. (y)

I got my Cambelt changed at 42k because it needed doing. Dont wait until its "due" at 72k, its b****cks.... get it changed early to minimise the risk of damage.

I had my aux belt changed at the same time while the engine was out.

Ph1

Got told by a guy at Reno that its not the cam belt thats a problem its the poly wheels which go brittle and crumble and then start to eat into the cambelt !!

A new cambelt kit should be fitted at 72 thou

Mine was changed only after 34,000 miles and about four years.

Luck of the draw im afraid.

Anything from £500-800 for parts & labour to sort.

Bit cheaper then £2k for a new engine as someone on here found out!

172 cup'd extreme

timing belt at 36k? its the aux belt that needs to be changed at 36k or 3 yrs and the cambelt at 72k or 5 yrs

Quote: Originally posted by 16v_jon on 13 September 2005
timing belt at 36k? its the aux belt that needs to be changed at 36k or 3 yrs and the cambelt at 72k or 5 yrs

In an ideal world where everything is taken as gospel mate...

In reality however ;)