ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped rear disc

Coming home from uni today, clunking noise coming from rear of car, rhythmically increasing in speed as car sped up, stopped when brakes applied - got home and noticed rear disc has snapped. Had same problem in July 2010 - on the same side - and replaced both discs (inc bearings and abs rings) and pads with Mintex stuff.

Are there any reasons which may have caused the disc to break? Common things to try? Could handbrake cables be too tight? anything at all that may cause 2 discs to split in 8 months, both on same side (with hardly any wear on either disc)

Sorry for the noob question!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Binding caliper? Causng it to get too hot and fracture under braking?

So worth getting a new caliper as well as new discs/pads/bearings and ABS rings?

Pics? never seen one before?! Its still on car but i can take some once its off?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My rear snapped few weeks back, I had a sticky caliper few months previously, could be related?

I have ordered a new caliper - for the peace of mind if nothing else as twice within 8months on the same side is a bit iffy to me.

Dear old froggo will be almost new with all the bits waiting to go on!