ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoking clio 182 loss of coolant .....Help!!

Clio 182
Hi all

Im new to this forum and although i would like to be introducing myself in a more positive light and posting in the introduction threads , i have a major issue with my Clio 182 that i need help with.

At the weekend i noticed smoke blowing through the front left top grill. I thought this may be something that's been forced on the inter-cooler or something had a good check around but couldn't find anything. Anyway left for work this morn, check oil water etc and every thing fine......until....... i got home and even more smoke (smells like burnt coolant) so i looked under the bonnet and saw that the expansion tank was just below the low marker. Upon looking around the engine bay it appears that at the passenger side below the inter-cooler it looks wet , just were the two large cooler pipes are . I filled up the coolant and run the engine but couldn't see or feel any leaks but the car was still smoking from the passenger side of the inter cooler. Temp on car was fine and Fan was working.

Please help with any suggestions or directions into what this could be (i think split pipework) are there any areas prone to going

Clio 182
Hi thanks

Are these expensive , what the best way for me to find out (strip it down bumper off ect)

Also I have no Coolant so topped up with water. Would it harm the engine to continue to drive ??

It will be ok short term to drive it using water, i don't know the cost of a radiator replacement someone shall be along soon to shed some light on it though.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The radiators aren't massively pricey no, I believe about £64 for a non-genuine Nissens unit but the pipes I'd try and find second hand as try will cost a fair bit more new from Renault.

Look for vehicles being broken or give Josh/Kat a call at Renparts

Mick

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ensure you keep the coolant dilution correct coming into the winter as well, basically get it fixed and proper coolant back in before the cold sets in, if your coolant freezes there will be more than a new radiator to worry about ;)

Clio 182
Right , sorted this yesterday after getting a new rad , seems to have sopped all leaks and everything bone dry. Also did a full coolant flush , following guides off here and new type d coolant. Thanks

However I notice that this morning my coolant had dropped a little , I had fully bled the system and had a good 30-40 min drive and all was fine yesterday.

Can it take a while and a few top ups for the coolant level to fully settle

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It will drop a little, it's normal. When its properly cold remove the cap and top-up the level.