ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoked by a 106 GTi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
My first 106 GTi made 141.3bhp @ fly on the rollers, it was totally standard apart from an induction kit!

Now we all know how accurate RR's can be, so I don't put too much on the actual headline figure being correct, it was 112.9bhp @ wheels which is more like 133bhp @ fly, but compared to other 106/Saxo's on the day, mine was making more than some modded ones!?

Went like b*ggery too, was as quick as my mates mk1 172 up to about 90, and that's no joke, it flew. I've had various quick cars (306 Rallye, Clio Cup, modded CTR, etc) so I know quick cars, and it was quicker than it should have been.

As others have said... good & bad examples.

Last edited:
  Snotter's
Im expecting between 150 and 160 when i get my cat cams 708 fitted an mapped,as long as i beat 182's i'll be happy

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Oh, and seeing as we're doing pics... ;)

Rich_D_106GTi_Front_Side.jpg

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Bought that back in 2000... ah, the memories... :approve:

My first proper quick car, I'd had nippy stuff before, but the 106 was a rapid little thing, just a car I loved from the moment I got behind the wheel.

I actually only went with my mate to look at a 306 D Turbo for him, spotted the 106, sales guy offered me a test drive, so naturally I said yes, just wanted to take it for a spin, but a few days later I parted with £10k :eek:

Sad day when I sold it, but I was buying a house and she had to ge... :cry:

Got another one now, same colour, it's my Mrs' car, but it can never replace my own one!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Real nice red one in MK i saw, tints, Black nimrods, roll cage etc

|It seemed very quick, couldnt have any fun tho he wanted too coz had misses in car and i get

Seemed like a nice lad, had an approving nod in eithers direction!

"stop driving so fast" moan moan bloody moan ROFL

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I raced a yellow one like the previous photos on page 7 round telford to newport i think in my old 172 and there was not a lot in it.Wonder if its the same 1

ian

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
had a close encounter with a red gti 180 last night and just edged it
just wondered if any1 else has had any encounters with any gti180's and how they faired

Nimbus Clio 197
hey i remember that car mate! i had those wheels on mine, except in 18". yeah, very heavy indeed, bit boat-like actually. but mine was fecking quick, 200bhp, and 0-60 in about 6.5......miss that car :(

172 cup TT
cheers - really?? christ, you got it to 60 in 6.5??? feck mine... mine was standard and did it in a tad under 8.. felt nothing at all compared to my cup!! that would blitz my old Vee

Nimbus Clio 197
i remember the firast drive of it, well the noise was incredible (he'd made a custom air intake thing) and it pulled like a train! so i bought it straight away. id say performance was about the same as my cup, but on the motorway....sheesh it was quick!

Saxo VTS
I think his V6 Calibra was quicker than his Cup. Although you always seem to be going faster in a small car and slower in a big car. 3rd gear was a laugh going on the M62...... Still got a vid of that i think???

It was the Nescafe tin can then gave it the extra poke eh?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Neil G said:
Nice looking car but I'm too old for stuff like that!

How old are you?

The Clio is hardly a car with a grown up image though...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Tails said:
just wondered if any1 else has had any encounters with any gti180's and how they faired

The 206 GTi-180?

If so, not as quick as they should be, I've smoked a couple... even the 106 can match one!

Nimbus Clio 197
yep, the coffee tin airbox mod! ah, the old classics....... :) 110mph (on a test track) in 3rd gear, ludicrous eh

106 GTi
Tails said:

Through bends or just on some straights?

They have nice seats!

3 MPS
my mate had a gti , it had 110k on it and was standard , was in good condition engine wise .
like most guys are saying it was aclose thing to 60 then after that the cup would pull and pull , as for handling wise i would say i had the edge but just . here is a 1/4 mile time when we both had these cars, incidently he now has a new ibiza cupra and it shifts , from a standing start the clio would take it but from a rolling start it shat on the cup,not the megane tho , lol

anyway heres the 106 gti vrs 172 cup times
http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/show_times.asp?CarNumber=48&RunDate=20050306&RaceID=302

3 MPS
if i remember rite, the 106 would hit close to 70 in second , the clio just gets 60 .
both great cars imo

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
paul g said:
if i remember rite, the 106 would hit close to 70 in second , the clio just gets 60 .
both great cars imo

The 106 is geared closer than the Clio's, especially the mk1 which is oddly long for a hot hatch, 5th is longer on the mk1 than 6th on the 306 GTi-6/Rallye!

mk1 172:
1st = 4.8mph/1000rpm
2nd = 8.7mph/1000rpm
3rd = 12.9mph/1000rpm
4th = 16.8mph/1000rpm
5th = 22.0mph/1000rpm

mk2 172/Cup:

1st = 5.3mph/1000rpm
2nd = 8.7mph/1000rpm
3rd = 12.4mph/1000rpm
4th = 15.8mph/1000rpm
5th = 20.4mph/1000rpm

106 GTi:

1st = 4.7mph/1000rpm
2nd = 8.3mph/1000rpm
3rd = 11.9mph/1000rpm
4th = 15.3mph/1000rpm
5th = 18.9mph/1000rpm

You can literally just hit 60 before the limiter in 2nd with the 106, will look like more on the speedo due to error, the Clio's are 63mph.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
SOHROB said:
I can hit 64 in my vts (std rev limit)

What is the limiter on the VTS, 7250?

Remember there is speedo error to take into account...

id sell my clio now and have a 106, im really impressed with my GFs one, they have alot of potential, yellow one with black wheels yum yum!!

i really dont know bout it being faster than a 172, but when stevie P took me out in his 172 i was very very impressed, but i get the same feeling when ever i go in the GTI i really dont think theres loads in it TBH!

there have been alot of VTS's and 106s that have surprised me before when i had a do with em (on race track) and i feel if i wasnt running the mods that ive got they would have beet me!

Clio 172 mk2
Rich-D said:
How old are you?

The Clio is hardly a car with a grown up image though...

Trust me.....too old to be driving around in tarted up peugeots....been there, done that.

Matter of preference though

Clio 172 mk2
Mmmmm..really.

I'm driving a 172 because is good value for money and I choose to leave it looking standard because I don't want it looking modified.

Like I said, it's a matter of preference

172 cup TT
christ mike, your cali seemed like a beast!! i can certainly easily saythat my old vee was in no way in the same league as my cup!... any clue what mods it had? sounds great... even at 200 brake tho its power to weight still wouldnt match a cup really... surely?.. im truely shocked thats all, as my old vee wouldnt have stood a bloody chance against my cup..

im sure your not this stupid but are you sure that the engine mod wasnt an engine transplant to the 2L turbo engine? hehe

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Neil G said:
Trust me.....too old to be driving around in tarted up peugeots....been there, done that.

Matter of preference though

Same here... that was 6 years ago mate... ;)

I just turned 30 so that's all in the past now.

Nimbus Clio 197
lol! no mate, it was deffo still a V6! haha i actually dont know what he'd had done, but i had rolling road slips to prove the power, and as my mate with the VTS said b4, it was bloody quick. the gearing was so long as well, u could pop it into 3rd at 70mph on the motorway and smoke most things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.