ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Small damage repair ballpark estimate

Z4
I scraped someone’s bumper (first time ever!) & I’d rather settle it privately than go through insurance as the damage is minor.

Just a paint scuff on an R56 cooper front bumper.
I can’t see how to upload a photo on here anymore?!

She’s quoted me £430 which I found a little excessive given the damage.

What would a full respray cost for a front bumper on an r56?

Thanks for any help

Z4
1E4DA5C2-E6F6-4178-9045-81154F15502F.png
5B3EAF72-7A7F-49F9-BD1C-6AC18635343D.png
AB3BCEC6-3A81-40B0-80F1-BC59D58A71A4.png

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
The problem is, if it's a metallic colour then to do a proper job you are going to need to spray more than just the bumper. So the quote she's had will probably include blowing into the other joining panels

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
That can definitely be polished out with a DA. Ask her for another quote, thats pretty much all you can do. But expect to pay £430.

Z4
Have to agree, I think it’d polish out but how can you tell someone else that when it’s their car!

I’d much rather not have any paint on there unless it’s really necessary.
Problem is, she’s getting quotes from accident repair centres. They see a girl come in with a mini saying someone else is paying and they rub their hands together.

£430 seems fair if they’re removing, respraying & blending, but it all seems a little excessive?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The problem is, if it's a metallic colour then to do a proper job you are going to need to spray more than just the bumper. So the quote she's had will probably include blowing into the other joining panels
That can definitely be polished out with a DA. Ask her for another quote, thats pretty much all you can do. But expect to pay £430.
They won't be blending for that and he mini doesn't have wings. Also they won't polish out they're too deep. You might get 90/95% there but you'll probably polish through on the curve anyway.

It's a tad expensive but a bit of stripping involved and the biggest difference in costs is all down to labour rate. Nearly all bodyshops have the same time to carry out work. 2 hours for the bumper on and off and say 3 to paint. Even say 6 hours if you really wanted to push it.

Do you have a copy of the quotes yet?

Oh and ignore any idea of smart repairing.

For what it's worth I would genuinely be looking for £240-£270 @ say £25 per hour for making things simple.

Z4
They won't be blending for that and he mini doesn't have wings. Also they won't polish out they're too deep. You might get 90/95% there but you'll probably polish through on the curve anyway.

It's a tad expensive but a bit of stripping involved and the biggest difference in costs is all down to labour rate. Nearly all bodyshops have the same time to carry out work. 2 hours for the bumper on and off and say 3 to paint. Even say 6 hours if you really wanted to push it.

Do you have a copy of the quotes yet?

Oh and ignore any idea of smart repairing.

For what it's worth I would genuinely be looking for £240-£270 @ say £25 per hour for making things simple.

Thanks for your reply Gally, massively appreciated.

184A5C22-CCBA-42C0-8D97-CA110586583C.png

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Paint materials are high ish but it's all relative. Does the guy have to compete against another 10 bodyshops or does he have work coming out his ears?

Bodyshop industry is funny that way. Not always set stuff. Mechanical garages area little more stringent because times are mostly given to them for certain jobs.

6 hours though, I wasn't far away. For where you stay it's probably bang on mate and it will be a reputable garage. Standard might be crap but that's not really your problem.

Only one quote so far?

Z4
Paint materials are high ish but it's all relative. Does the guy have to compete against another 10 bodyshops or does he have work coming out his ears?

Bodyshop industry is funny that way. Not always set stuff. Mechanical garages area little more stringent because times are mostly given to them for certain jobs.

6 hours though, I wasn't far away. For where you stay it's probably bang on mate and it will be a reputable garage. Standard might be crap but that's not really your problem.

Only one quote so far?

Very hard to say on how much work they’ve got on, at this time of year I’d imagine there’s a fair bit of work with the ice etc but who knows.

Yes just the one quote so far, she’s getting another tomorrow as I asked (which tbf is good of her).
I’m just glad I now know that the figures are there or there abouts.

Not an expense I particularly wanted before Christmas alongside a house renovation but it’s one of those things.
Fortunely, my car is unmarked!

Thanks for your help mate, top man.

PH2 172
I scraped someone’s bumper (first time ever!) & I’d rather settle it privately than go through insurance as the damage is minor.

Just a paint scuff on an R56 cooper front bumper.
I can’t see how to upload a photo on here anymore?!

She’s quoted me £430 which I found a little excessive given the damage.

What would a full respray cost for a front bumper on an r56?

Thanks for any help

Call her bluff!

Say you will only pay the repairer directly, or would she rather have £200 in her bin & live with the scratches?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You would never give her the money anyway. Surely you would always pay the garage? Who the hell gives someone all the money?

She's been good so far. She could have easily been with an accident management company and costing you a fair whack on your insurance so she's definitely been genuine so far.

I'm guessing you don't have a particular bodyshop you use?

Z4
Surprisingly this has escalated slightly.
She’s had another quote off another body shop where they’ve found a small dent so have quoted a further £40 to remove that also so will go with that quote!

..lovely.

I told her to go for it, and get the body shop to invoice me/ I’ll call them while the work is being carried out and pay over the phone.

She’s not happy with that !
Wants me to transfer the money by lunchtime tomorrow otherwise she’s threatening to claim on the insurance.

Thoughts?

My immediate reaction was she’s going to pocket the money, then I started thinking maybe she’s just worried I won’t pay and she’ll be stuck with the bill?

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah if it was me on the receiving end I wouldn't get the work done till I had the cash in my hand from the other person. She's doing you a favour, why should she take any risk?

Tbf if she pockets the money and lives with the scratches then so be it?

I guess the only thing is proving it if she suddenly puts in a claim?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What happens if she pockets the dosh and still throws a claim in, after speaking to her nephew you knows stuffz.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Say you’ll give her the money but want her to sign something to say she won’t claim after.

Z4
Thanks for your advice guys.

I don't seem to be in the position to call the shots so it looks like I'll have to transfer the money prior to the work being done.

Ho ho ho merry christmas

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Surely just say you'll pay the bodyshop directly in advance of the work being carried out. There isn't a legitimate reason to counter that.

What's to stop her taking the money then claiming on insurance??