ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky+

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
Could some one give me some info?
I have just bought a sky+ box, i already have normal sky, what do i need to get the sky+ to work if i put it in place of my old box?
Thanks
Jonny

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
you need another coaxial wire from the dish to the box so that you can record

vers le haut doigt milieu
If you only want to use your sky+ to record programmes your not at home for then you just need a £1 splitter. I personally spend every day staring at hundreds of screens and believe me there is rarely 2 programmes I wanna watch at the same time.

Revels Mum & Sister
As above Quad LNB, some spare co-ax and end connectors. Plug in and ring sky and off you go. Not tempted to get a Sky HD box of Ebay instead? I did this got one for £90 (Already had Sky + so didnt need to run another co-ax) plug in, force OTA update, perform the call back ring sky and pair the card with the new box and activate Sky + and HD functions.

If you do go for the Sky+ only option you will need to pair the sky card with sky it wont work out the box for ANY encrypted channels only ones available for freeview

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
Thanks for all the info, like the sound of the £1 splitter for now, were could i get that? if i find i need the other i might do at a lated date, main use i want it for is to record top gear etc. as im never at home for it, iplayer is handy but not ideal.

3 x Renaults + Lexus
You need a dual LNB not quad unless you want capacity

A coax splitter will not work just give you 2 x Coax of what you already have not 2 seperate feeds needed for SKY+

You need a run of coax plus 2 x F type connectors

Then you need to upgrade your Sky account to SKY+

And if you get a Sky HD Box you'll nedd to upgrade your account to Sky Hd to benefit from it too.

Plus the double coax inputs are needed for Sky + too as said above ;)

A coax splitter will not work just give you 2 x Coax of what you already have not 2 seperate feeds needed for SKY+
quote]

errm, as said above it will work only if you want to just record programmes rather then watch one at the same time as recording another.

and this splitter will do may need to cap the ends of your cables tho.
http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=KA121

If you dont wanan re cap your ends then use this splitter.
http://www.saverstore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?product_id=20003610&pid=9&tid=5

3 x Renaults + Lexus
quote]

errm, as said above it will work only if you want to just record programmes rather then watch one at the same time as recording another.

and this splitter will do may need to cap the ends of your cables tho.
http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=KA121

If you dont wanan re cap your ends then use this splitter.
http://www.saverstore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?product_id=20003610&pid=9&tid=5

Sorry I was replying to the thread in genreal

You however still will need to upgrade your Sky package to Sky+ to allow recording as far as I am aware putting in a SKY sub card in a SKY+ box for viewing premium channels will require matching your card to the serial on your box. (calling SKY)

Sky wont as far as I aware allow you to record onto the box without the SKY+ sub so you may match the card to the box but it wont record without the extra SKY+ Sub anyway.

Then you are still stuck with the fact you have 1 x Coax feed which is fine if you want to use the SKY+ as a recording unit only. But then you may as well get a DVD recorder with HDD and not buy the extra SKY+ box and pay for the Sky+ sub

But if you want to watch TV and record you need a dual LNB and another coax feed. All the splitter would do is give you 2 of the same feed you have anyway but no good for SKY systems you woudl use this for Digital TV feeds say you had 1 arieal but you wated to pump video to 2 TV's. But you dont even need that as the SKY box has a Coax output anyway if you wanted the same image on another screen

So not sure what the splitter will do

if you move the sky plus box and card upstairs you will be fine as the box has to be twined to the card, ur output will not work due to the fact it will not return a voltage of either 13 or 18 volts and cannot send the frequency of 22khz.

IF YOU WANT TO JUST USE UR SKY PLUS BOX TO RECORD PROGRAMMES YOU ARE NOT AROUND FOR THEN JUST USE THE SPLITTER IT WILL WORK!

3 x Renaults + Lexus
I thought the OP was just upgrading a SKY box to SKY+ box Not moving it or anything else... THink he jsut wanted to use it as recording device...

Yes you can do this with 1 Coax you have but you cant record and watch another show

However you will need to call SKY to match your card to your new SKY+ box serial.

Then you will find when you try to record you need to upgrade your SKY sub to SKY+ it wont just record as you think it may

So you will call SKY back upgrade SUB to SKY+ and find it will only record what you are viewing on the screen, fine if it does not bother you.

If you want then full use of SKY+ you will need a Dual LNB and to run a coax feed down to your SKY+ box

The RF 2 Output works fine (if you want to view the same picture on another TV) the power option is for powering Digi Eyes

sorry forgive the move the box upstairs remark, I have remarked to many many "sky+ threads." and am very sick now of repeating myslef.

Ok, every sky box is twined to its card, i.e. your card will not work in another box, however and take note, it will work if you do this:

Call BSKYB and say you lost your card, they will then send you another card, when you receive this card call sky and say "I am calling to activate this card however I have decided to use a professional Tandberg built TT1220". This will activate your card for any receiver allowing you to swap your card to any box. However this will not work for any channel with Marco vision like Sky movies or sports, for this you would have to give them the box serial number and they will authorise the box for macro vision. you can try activating your current card but I have never done it before so would be able to tell you if it works 100%.

Revels Mum & Sister
You need a dual LNB not quad unless you want capacity

You need a run of coax plus 2 x F type connectors

Then you need to upgrade your Sky account to SKY+

The cost difference is minimal. May as well fit a quad so you have the extra two outputs if you want to go multiroom