ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky+ HD or V+ HD

A silver one
Hello,

I will be getting the keys to my first place next month and I'm trying to decide which of the above to get?

Doing a comparison on both companies website's has V+ about £10 cheaper per month.

Sky+ HD, 4 of the TV packs, ESPN, 10mb broadband with a 10gb limit and Sky Talk phone line rental comes to £56.25 per month.

V+ HD, TV XL (which includes ESPN HD), 10mb broadband with no limit and Virgin phone line rental comes to £46 per month.

Has anybody on here had both and what are your thoughts? ESPN is essential for me for UFC.

cheers for your replies,
Matt

Better than yours. C*nt.
Shouldn't you get 20MB broadband on Virgin for that?

I vote for Virgin, as the SD content on a V+ box is upscaled as opposed to the Sky stuff which isn't and the compression on the V+ stuff is better than the Sky - looks a load better on my set.

And the broadband on Virgin will spoil you - I <3 my 2MB/sec downloads!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
If it's just ESPN that is crucial to you, then Virgin is probably the way to go given that it is thrown in with XL.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Shouldn't you get 20MB broadband on Virgin for that?

I vote for Virgin, as the SD content on a V+ box is upscaled as opposed to the Sky stuff which isn't and the compression on the V+ stuff is better than the Sky - looks a load better on my set.

And the broadband on Virgin will spoil you - I <3 my 2MB/sec downloads!

Id say keep um seperate by your nernet through some one like BT
buy just virgin or sky tv on there own
i have virgin media and my internet connection is never what it says it is mainly due to irgin halving connection speeds at peak time :(

A silver one
Cheers for the replies.

It looks like I'm going to go for Virgin. It's just a shame the box isn't as pretty as the Sky HD box.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Cheers for the replies.

It looks like I'm going to go for Virgin. It's just a shame the box isn't as pretty as the Sky HD box.

The old box is being replaced with a new Samsung one. Glossy black, smaller, faster, looks very smart. There are still old boxes being installed though. It's pretty much pot luck if you get a new one.

Better than yours. C*nt.
i have virgin media and my internet connection is never what it says it is mainly due to irgin halving connection speeds at peak time :(

My interweb is fine.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
f**k I want a new box will they replace mine?

You could try making it break? Put a magazine on top of it and leave it on for a while. But, the guy who comes out might only have the old boxes. You can't request a certain box, it's pot luck as to what the engineer will have.

182FF with cup packs

If anything, ADSL is even worse for peak time congestion, if you use a standard ADSL account your contention ration at peak times is likely to be 25:1 or even 50:1.

Virgin halve your download speeds when you download to much, check out http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php, as it has a handy little table which will tell you how/why they throttle.

Added to the fact the ADSL will pretty much never approach the advertised speed unless you live next door to the exchange, and the total %age loss gets more pronounced with the larger pipes (a friend of mine had 4mb, generally got 3.5/3.6ish, upgraded to the "upto 8mb" service, it would consistently negotiate itself down to 1.5-2mb).

Ph 1 172
on the virgin xl package that has ESPN ncluded they have also included ESPN HD nothing like seeing some yank t**t get his face smashed in on HD lol id go for virgin media.... well i did because i download lots of music as well as xbox live the usuage restriction would be mental for me

A silver one
It's defo going to be Virgin when we move in.

Does anybody on here use the 'On-Demand' service, I-Player, ITV-Player, 4OD or Picturebox?

cheers again,
Matt

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
It's defo going to be Virgin when we move in.

Does anybody on here use the 'On-Demand' service, I-Player, ITV-Player, 4OD or Picturebox?

cheers again,
Matt

Yeah I use it (not Picturebox though). It's pretty good. Big selection of programs to select from.

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
ESPN is only free for August IIRC

I would go sky, more channel options.

BT for BB though

Ph 1 172
ESPN is free all the time on the XL TV package with Virgin

yeah thats what i thought i hope it dont drop off......

and i use the on demand service all the time its free on the xl package so i catch up on missed episodes of trigger happy and the usual bullshit lol