ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

silverline rotary

soon to be 182 ;)
are they any good? I know you need to take care when using them but gonna buy a scrap bonnet and have a practice want some opinions and want something good but cheaper than a da

C3 Picasso Beast
Surely going straight to a rotary is a bit stupid??

Saying that I've never even used a machine polisher so probably just ignore me!!

Bumder With A Buffer
Going to striaght to a rotary is not stupid, but how do I put this politely, you have to have a bit of common sense to use one straight away. I used my DA twice and then sold it, hated it and then bought a rotary but im a fairly sensible-ish person.

On the threads you start todd (and I mean no offence here :eek:) i wouldn't recommend you getting a rotary, and certainly not the silverline. Sure its cheap but its heavy and I could see you posting a thread along the lines of "Just used my Rotary for the first time and sanded my wing off" ;)

Get a DA first as your less likely to do damage, get used to the techniques used then if you feel comfortable aget a rotary, a rotary only gives you better results if you use it correctly. They have a lot more bite and kick hen a DA.

Bumder With A Buffer
My post wasn't ment in a harsh way by the way.

In my case I seem to get on better with a rotary, I only bought the silverline as it was cheap, it will do want I want it to do (the odd correction on my car, missus and families cars). If I were to buy anothe I'd be going for a makita or something that doesn't weigh half a ton!

A DA has less chance of doing damage, I'd almost say anyone could "in theory" buy one and crack straight onto a car without fear of damage. Alas that isn't always the case although you are less likely to do damage with a DA. I'm used to my rotary but it still bites unexpectedly sometimes and it can be a bit hairy if you haven't got your wits about you.

Much like having a piss in the blokes urinals with your trousers round your ankles. Be aware. :)

soon to be 182 ;)
its Just the price of a da that gets me when in the long run i would want a rotary anyway and being cheaper is a bonus of them

Bumder With A Buffer
Yes it might be a "bonus" but a DA is a hell of a lot better overall, for doing/covering most types of paint. In fact on certain soft paint types a DA is what you should use. I shouldn't in theory use my rotary on the EVO paintwork as its soft as you run the risk of burn through.