ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silent Hunter 4

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Very, very good. It's a bit of an oldie this - from 2007, iirc and had been sat on my shelf for a while. I need to create a custom difficulty setting for myself as Easy is too easy and Hard is just, well - too bloody difficult! ;)

The sense of being in an elongated tin can underwater is very well done - coupled with the very good sound effects that just add to the atmosphere. To get a contact report of a ship inbound and knowing full well that it hasn't seen you yet is strangely addictive. Like a proper game of cat & mouse but with a lot of water involved!

Some pics from a training mission...

The Bridge... All of those dials actually move to provide information. You can view around the various rooms onboard with the mouse and click on switches and dials to perform various actions.

sh42009-06-2817-24-58-09.jpg

On the surface - my boat at the start. Such a position in-game would be virtual suicide for if a surface ship fails to spot you, you can guarantee that an enemy spotter plane will. However, you can't run on batteries all the time and need to come to periscope depth at least in order for the diesel engines to generate power for the batteries. Another downside is that running on diesel makes your boat much more noisier in the water.

sh42009-06-2817-45-37-64.jpg

Spotted from the air - here's my quarry. Turn all you want, you're not getting away. :evil:

sh42009-06-2817-55-29-78.jpg

The first torpedo hits it mark, just a little aft of midships. Not even the best application of T-Cut will get this sorted out from the waterline. ;)

sh42009-06-2817-52-51-34.jpg

Torpedo 2 is on the way. You can just see the bubble-trail in the water - heading straight for the ships' bow.

sh42009-06-2817-52-13-21.jpg

Which in turn causes the ship to catch fire and soon capsize. Another Jap vessel sent to the bottom...

sh42009-06-2817-56-35-23.jpg

I would definitely recommend SH4 for anyone wanting a change from the usual FPS-type military game. This one requires a bit more of the old grey matter and grips you in a way that is almost unique. I don't think I've ever kept so still in a game before, when there is most amount of things going on. To sit in silence of 100ft+ of water and hear the propellers of the ship hunting you - then pass over you, is quite surreal. The key is in the title. Do things quietly....

D.