ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silenced decats, are they worth it?

Clio 182
Hey all,

JMS's remap has sold me and I'm wanting a decat!

Now, I have the KTR Silenced Ultra Performance system on at present, and though idealy, I'd like no additional volume, I know some compromise is needed hehe! But will I really notice the difference between a silenced and a 'normal' decat?

Cheers :)

Clio 182
Volume!

Power wise, there is no difference I'm led to believe, as the pipe is still a straight through design in a silenced isn't it?

2.2 bar shed.
Volume!

Power wise, there is no difference I'm led to believe, as the pipe is still a straight through design in a silenced isn't it?

Shouldnt be any difference in power. Volume wise decats tend to make engines sound a bit raspier in the top end imo.

Ph 1 172
a supersports ktec exhaust with a decat its very very loud!!! I have one on mine and it is crazy at certain revs! my mates silenced stealth definatly has a different tone, but if your decat for the pops and bangs map why not just decat it properly? the NW performance one on mine is just as good as anywhere else nicely made and cheaper than anywhere i found

Various
The silenced 1 gives better flow of exhaust gasses and a deeper tone than having a cat. We sell more silenced ones than standard de-cats.

More than just pissing in the wind when you get a different sound and running.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I have a silenced decat from NWP and it made quite a big difference to the sound of the exhaust. It's a fair bit louder when under load and further in the rev band. Personally I found my Yozza a little too quiet and the silenced decat was my best option. I'd say with the Yozza it's loudest at idle and underload to 4k (with the cat). With the decat the same noise when going to 4k is evident but to about 6k. I also found it does rev a little freer but slightly less pull at the bottom of the rev band.

I only bought one for the noise and I'm not dissapointed. I know quite a few people on here have heard my car and one or two can vouch or aware of the difference between the cat and decat.

For £100 or so they're a bargin.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My silenced decat is no where near as loud as a unsilenced decat on a Yozza. That's based on me going to meets and seeing people with unsilenced decats.

Clio 182
Some good, but contradicting, info in here :).

Maybe NWP/Jamie can answer this too, will/do you still get the 'rasp' in the exhaust note with a silenced decat? That is the main reason for me getting one, but the remap has ultimately sold me! Probably best to PM or email JMS with this next one, but will the popping still occur with a silenced decat, I'm sure it will, as it's a 'straight-through' design?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard Jamie's and it sounds totally different to a straight through, less raspy in my opinion.

If you want it raspy, and you want it with pops and bangs i'd go straight through, you already have the silencer in the centre section on yours so wont be too loud.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I swapped my cat for an NWP silenced decat and there wasn't any difference in volume. If anything I've found my ktec stealth now doesn't drone as much.

Various
I've heard Jamie's and it sounds totally different to a straight through, less raspy in my opinion.

If you want it raspy, and you want it with pops and bangs i'd go straight through, you already have the silencer in the centre section on yours so wont be too loud.

As Jenic said you wont really get a rasp with a silenced 1 but you MIGHT still have bangs. Never tryed it so wouldnt know.

I swapped my cat for an NWP silenced decat and there wasn't any difference in volume. If anything I've found my ktec stealth now doesn't drone as much.

Main reason for them is so its not really loud like a de-cat and removes the drown you get from most exhausts.

Clio 182

As Jenic said you wont really get a rasp with a silenced 1 but you MIGHT still have bangs. Never tryed it so wouldnt know.

Cheers Jenic and NWP, you've both answered my question and saved me £50 in the process :D

Cro

Meg'd r27
I have a video of mine in the projects section and I have a silenced one (purely because it gets less hassle at MOT looking like a cat) I have all the rasp and pops/bangs you want

Clio 182
I have a video of mine in the projects section and I have a silenced one (purely because it gets less hassle at MOT looking like a cat) I have all the rasp and pops/bangs you want

It will fail regardless on the emissions won't it whether it looks like a cat or just a piece of scaffolding lol! So the MOT issue isn't a problem for me, I am purely after noise, but ideally, not volume!

Can you link me up though Cro, saves me hunting hehe :D

Clio 182
Cheers Cro :), that sounds awesome, just what I want!! But you have ITB's though, still sounds awesome either way ha!

And that is a silenced decat? Hmm...