ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

side strips spraying help

Never sprayed anything before so was wondering if anyone has a guide made up for spraying side strips, mirror caps, or door handles if so can you give me the link :) I've had a look but found nothing :(

Also having a silver clio DCI do i spray the bullets or leave black?

There is defo a guide in the guide sections. On a spoiler iirc. See my one on bullets too in there :)

But basically you sand down, few coats plastic primer/primer, sand down, few coats basecoat (colour), sand if required, Few coats of lacquer.

Bike*
Theres a guide, type it in google somthing might come up from this forum. And if you want the bullets to be black spray them

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
If in doubt, get them professionally done if you want an OEM finish.

+1.. especially if its a car you take pride in.

im pretty local if you want them doing.. or sprayshack does a good post and return job from what i have seen

whats your paint code ? m632 ? may have some basecoat for your colour

yeah its MV632, can you PM me with details please :)

If in doubt, get them professionally done if you want an OEM finish.

true, I am thinking of this but want to see how well i can do it first, if you get me?

+1.. especially if its a car you take pride in.

im pretty local if you want them doing.. or sprayshack does a good post and return job from what i have seen

sprayshack do but they seem to be overpriced! ive had quotes of £60 just for side strips!

Bike*
yeah its MV632, can you PM me with details please :)

true, I am thinking of this but want to see how well i can do it first, if you get me?

sprayshack do but they seem to be overpriced! ive had quotes of £60 just for side strips!

Thats the price youve gotta Pay unfortunatley, and £60 isnt THAT expensive imo, although with the right connections you could get it a little cheaper.

182, 6r GTi
60 that isnt to bad if im honest. if you do it yourself youl have to buy a pack of sandpaper/wet and dry 1 or 2 cans on primer (correct one) 1 or 2 cans of colour and the same for laqure and cleaning products to remove all dirt dust etc, and it will prob peal to. geting it done by someone like sprayshack will totaly take the hastle and effort out of doing it and youll have a brilliant finish on it to

All i can say from experience is, small things are ok... but i did my 1.2 side strips twice and even though i took a lot of time and effort they where only presentable, if the sun shon, you could see the waves in the uneven laquer, even after wet sanding and polishing.

That was black paint, silver will be harder to perfect imo... have a practice, door handles are easy because they're small, have a go at the side strips, just made sure you sand and primer them, and read up on guides, you might get on fine, but for large body parts like side strips thinking back id defiantly pay for a professional paint job.

Edit also £60 for the side strips is reasonable... price up sandpaper various grits, 3x primers from halfords, 3 colours at least and 2 large cans of laquer and you will have spent 40+

Not trying to put you off i had exactly the mind frame you've got, it is definatly good fun to have a try yourself, but if you want the wet look OEM paint has think about getting the side strips done profesh.

inferno 182.
i run a bodyshop and £60 aint expensive!i dont know what paint system sprayshack have but we use standox and i would say you would use £20 worth of paint and matirials spraying all the parts!
using there products and 2k lacqurer will for sure out last anything done with areosols!
depends what you want mate!!! shabby but cheap or quality!!!!
unfortunatley quailty costs money!!!
Thats the price youve gotta Pay unfortunatley, and £60 isnt THAT expensive imo, although with the right connections you could get it a little cheaper.

I wouldn't mind if i could get quotes a bit cheaper as i think its really steep still. :( as paying £60 is just for side skirts and not handles, mirror caps, or rear bumper!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
before you start yourself, please keep in mind that if you mess up and decide do have them done professionally that you will need to pay more for your attempt to be corrected. If body work was that easy then there would be no need for body shops as everyone would have a go themselves.

before you start yourself, please keep in mind that if you mess up and decide do have them done professionally that you will need to pay more for your attempt to be corrected. If body work was that easy then there would be no need for body shops as everyone would have a go themselves.

true, what do you think would be a good price for all side strips + bullet, door handles, mirror caps and rear 172 spoiler (already primed) would cost?

clio 5door sport rep
start with sidestrips. if u balls it up u can always go to a breakers yard and buy a new one :) halfords sell a project pack of sandpaper which is good. give lots of different grades of sandpaper. maybe sand down to begin with 400 or 600 grit..... then prime...... wet sand with 1200 after primer is on.... then basecoat. then lacquer. make sure you buy plastic primer. and not regular primer

Ive just done a set today, ill show you the result.....this is why anything from £60 - 100 isnt expensive. If you want all the texturing taken out,, basically an OEM finish like the sports. These are for Will off here....as people in the trade will know this is pearl black, black is the hardest colour to spray.....we use Premium everything here (pro spray h/s clear coats), nothing is cheap 2K paints.

1.jpg

start with sidestrips. if u balls it up u can always go to a breakers yard and buy a new one :) halfords sell a project pack of sandpaper which is good. give lots of different grades of sandpaper. maybe sand down to begin with 400 or 600 grit..... then prime...... wet sand with 1200 after primer is on.... then basecoat. then lacquer. make sure you buy plastic primer. and not regular primer

Ive gone and brought a spare set of everything i want to colour code :) and is this different grades that halfords do the 15 assorted sheets?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_154359_langId_-1_categoryId_255242

Inferno 182 Cup
are your side strips, mirrors etc textured plastic? or are they smooth like factory colour coded ones are? cos if they are textured you'll need to rub that down a fair bit too or it'll look s**t when painted!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
Ive just done a set today, ill show you the result.....this is why anything from £60 - 100 isnt expensive. If you want all the texturing taken out,, basically an OEM finish like the sports. These are for Will off here....as people in the trade will know this is pearl black, black is the hardest colour to spray.....we use Premium everything here (pro spray h/s clear coats), nothing is cheap 2K paints.

1.jpg

good finish mate ! am using prospray stuff atm. along with t-euro lacquer.. finding it awesome, and very easy to use.

have you tried any of the sikkens range ? using there primer atm t351 high fill iirc.. good stuff.

and gary if you want price pm or phone me

true, what do you think would be a good price for all side strips + bullet, door handles, mirror caps and rear 172 spoiler (already primed) would cost?

I payed £80 for spray shack to supply a sport spoiler, prep, spray and post to me.

I payed £25 for him to supply a rear window wiper blank, prep, spray and post.

I don't regret spending the money, our colour mv632 (silvery blue) is a b***h to colour match. And Simons work is too notch.

Take into consideration, the price of the parts SS supplied, the price of materials (paints, sand paper, etc) and then sending them by next day courrier.... For a professional job you'd be a fool to complain.

On another note, small bits I have done myself, interior inserts, centre console etc and as they chaps say - small bits are fairly simple and hard to f**k up. You'll have fun, check the guides, there's a few good ones on here.

Just be patient and don't rush it, remember you have to be seen in your car, I wouldn't want to drive a two toned oddly matched colour coded clio!

Good luck :)