ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should my Clio 200 sound like this? Video included

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So to clarify this is a fault with the tensioner itself or the belt length?

If it is, its not Renault who are at fault its the supplier of that component, but I guess only Renault have the power to contact the supplier and give them a slap. If its a belt then there must be 5-6 suppliers.

Black Gold Trophy
I've fitted a few over the last year and haven't had this problem. They were all genuine renault belts, which are made by Gates anyway, tensioners are made by Litens I think.

I take it the clicking noise means the automatic tensioner is trying to increase the tension but has reached its maximum adjustment? Therefore this noise would signify that
the belt is slack?

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Thought it was time I updated this...

After hearing peoples advice on here I booked the car into Reno so they could get a technician to take a look at it. I then stupidly cancelled the appointment as I thought the noise was quite minor and not making it all the time.

Roll on to last month and I could hear the noise much more loudly. Booked it into to them and they looked at it, agreed it shouldn't be making that noise and was probably a problem with the timing. Due to this they wanted to get my car in ASAP. Reno offered to cover it under warranty, so I left it with them on the Monday evening. Car was then ready on the Friday where i found on picking it up the old belt, pulley and arch liner. Went back in and explained this to the service guy (to be fair who has been OK) and they sorted it. Weird thing was there was no paperwork with the warranty work, is this normal?

Roll on today and I've noticed it is still making exactly the same noise, if not worse!

From what I can gather (from seeing the bits they left in the boot) the bits they changed are the aux belt and the bottom pulley, so not the actual bits that actually need replacing.

Its going back there on Wednesday where hopefully they'll agree to actually replace the correct bits.

Lionel Richie
The cambelt kits from Renault are now "updated" funny that eh ;)

you need a new cambelt kit, accept nothing less, they've just wasted their money replacing those parts you mention, that won't fix naff all

RB 200
Just been pointed to this thread. my i think my 200 is noisy, and have it booked in to the dealer for the 1st, think I'll show them this, see what they say? get any resolution Fred? if they reject my claims I may be forced to pop down and see you, I emailed the sound to the guy who answered your phone on friday, when I described he laughed and said ''I'll speak to Fred but that sounds like the belt''

thanks, James.