ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

should i tart up my clio?

ph2 iceburg 172
hi
basically i've had my 172 for a year now and im thinking of moving on to something abit larger (i get bored very quickly). over the year unforuntetly ive not treated it the best, the alloys are badly kurbed and look very dull, there are a couple of scratches to the rear arches, the rear bumper need replaced as it has a large crack in it and also the exhaust really needs replaced as it clatters and blows alot.
my question is should i spend the money (recon it would be around £600-£700ish) to make it a mint example or should i just punt it cheap saying it requires work?
any advice would be great thanks
gregor

Clio 197
my advice is to have a look at what they got for in the current condition (on here, Ebay, Autotrader) then compare this to a 'mint' example price, this will give you a better idea if its worth spending the money. I would also price up the work you require as i think it should be cheaper than 6-700

Mini Cooper S
It's a cheap hatchback, just sell it as is. Maybe patch up or replace the exhaust with a s/h item.

As said, leave it or just sort out the zorst. All other issues are only cosmetic and can be sorted later with the next owner.

ph2 iceburg 172
well i must of jinxed the car! just had the car recovered, was driving to collec a freind and the cambelt snapped! garage says il be looking at £1000+ to get fixed!
the new question, should i get the engine repaired and fork out the grand, or sell it as a "non runner"?

Clio 197
bad news!

If you have really jinxed it i would be tempted to sell as a non runner and get rid!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
£1000 maybe? Going on that it would be worth around 2k/2.2k once sorted.

Cambelt snapped, you might as well break it.

With a new engine and all the things you've listed wrong, it's worth £1300 absolute MAX! Mint it's probably worth £2kish.

Time to break it. It's not worth fixing, especially to sell.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Cambelt snapped, you might as well break it.

With a new engine and all the things you've listed wrong, it's worth £1300 absolute MAX! Mint it's probably worth £2kish.

Time to break it. It's not worth fixing, especially to sell.

A mint Ph2 172 with 47k on it is only worth £2000? If that's the case I think I'll get another one!

ph2 iceburg 172
im oing to get the quote back from the garage, bu it sounds like it will be sold as a non runner. Am i going to find it hard to sell it as a non runner?

ph2 iceburg 172
right, spoke to the garage, they said it is defo the cambelt snapped, they said it will be around £1000-£1500 to get fixed, if i dont get it fixed am i going to find it very hard to shift, the guy at the garage said i would be lucky to get £300 for it as it is
gutted is an understatment

Hyundai i40
you will get more than that as a non runner

Have a look at the FS section on here, see what people are breaking clios for

Id say you would get £300 for the RS Body kit alone...maybe more

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
They are saying that because they want you to get them to do the work.

Breaking it is your best bet or non-runner.

You could get around the £2800 - £3000 if it were mint.

ph2 iceburg 172
yeh i thought that i was him just tring to scare me into repairing it, but as i said at the start of the thread it would need 500ish spent on it just to get it up to standard plus this fix, id be looking at around 1800-200 just to sell it so just gunna say to the garage that il have it back as it is then start an advert as a non runner, even if i only get 500ish for it still gunna be better off.

ph2 iceburg 172
the garge got back to me this morning, they said it was the timing belt pully(s) that snapped, its bend the pistons and cracked the valves so he says it will be around £1400ish to fix. ive decided not to fixed it. the garage also want £300 for the recovery and assesment as they had to take the head off ect to have a look. my two opions are either pay them the £300, get the car home and try punt it as a non runner or the lad at the garage has said he would buy it off me for £300 and drop the garage bill meaning im up £300?
does that sound like a good deal?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
the garge got back to me this morning, they said it was the timing belt pully(s) that snapped, its bend the pistons and cracked the valves so he says it will be around £1400ish to fix. ive decided not to fixed it. the garage also want £300 for the recovery and assesment as they had to take the head off ect to have a look. my two opions are either pay them the £300, get the car home and try punt it as a non runner or the lad at the garage has said he would buy it off me for £300 and drop the garage bill meaning im up £300?
does that sound like a good deal?

And he will then buy a 1*2 engine for £300 (he going rate), fit it & be massively up.

Why dont you just do that instead. Plenty of members on here that can fit a 172 lump in a day, for a couple hundred quid.