ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Hi all,

I currently drive a Toyota Corolla but am considering changing my car this winter. I don't want to spend the earth, and have always always loved Clio Sport's, but don't really want to stretch to a new 197, so am looking at possibly buying a 182. However, the Corolla has been bulletproof and I haven't spent a penny on it since I've had it, except for services and MOT, and I'm just a bit concerned that the Clio might not be quite so reliable. Would you all recommend a 182, and are there any common problems/reliability issues that I need to be aware of before I take the plunge?

Cheers,
Ian.

Mk4 .:R32
its like any car really, you can get mint ones and you can't get bad examples that need a lot of money thrown at them. You're best off taking one for a test drive see if you like it or not. I love my 172, but sometimes the build quality (a few rattles etc) gets on my nerves

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Personally i'd never buy a renault again without warranty, mines been awful. But the driving experience would be so so much better in the clio, is this a new shape carolla?

Yup, its a new shape Corolla, but pre-facelift (52 plate). Its got a couple of rattles in the dash too, and the inlet manifold is on its way out (a common fault), but I don't mind that, cause when you floor it, its kind of gargles and roars like when you floor a Boxster or 911, lol...but other than that, thats it...I've had no problems with it at all. My Mrs had a 1999 RN, and now has a 2005 Extreme, and other than the RN breaking down twice, she's had no problems, but I've got a mate who's got a 172 and he's had loads of problems with it...

I have to agree with you already though Dr, I've driven the Extreme a couple of times and its really really smooth, lovely to drive.

I'm just a bit concerned that the Clio might not be quite so reliable. Would you all recommend a 182, and are there any common problems/reliability issues that I need to be aware of before I take the plunge?
Common Clio problems
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=108607

I woulnd't worry about relibility you get good and bad in all cars the clio hasn't as good reliability as the Corolla but then again often drivers are a different type if you catch my drift.

Renaultsport Clio 182
touch wood i've had my 182 for 10 months now and single problem to date. the only money i've spent on it was for tyres (which has to be expected) and fuel (and there's been a lot of this i can tell you!!)

other then that she's been a joy. it's french so the odd little cabin rattle is there sometimes but that's nothing a little Metallica cant fix!

Clio182
Do it!, you wont regret buying a 182....If you can - try and go for one with the cup options as although the ride is very firm, it's so much fun through the bends...The only real expense is replacing the michelin pilot tyres (Think they were £120each when I last got mine done (though worth every penny) and with regards to the 197 there is no real noticeable difference in performance

LY 200
for the money you could get a lower milage 172cup?

Dont have to worry about cup packs then, its fun straight out of the box ;)

If i was in the market for a cliosport again i wouldn't bother with the 182. I'd get a cup and with the extra cash replace the seats, get coilovers and maybe a new exhaust. The air con is nice to have but gets used so rarely.

Shed.
yeah buy a 172 if you wanna spend a few quid less. they tend to go for about 6k right now.

nice cars, fun, god a few toys.

and they rattle like f**k. but you get used to it all and it isnt that bad anyways.