ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

should i get another clio...?

J03

MX5 1.8
changed my clio for an MX5 2 months ago.... very happy until now am finding it so hard to keep the MX on the road... i need a car to get to uni, the mx5 is awsome to drive but its expensive to run.... :(
id love to keep the car... should i get rid and get another smaller engined clio? or should i sell it, get some money get a s**t car, and then save up for a 197? i dont know what to do... having owned a MK2 PH3 1.2 before, reliabilty was a t**t!!!! cost more to fix than actually drive.. so am having doubts with another one...

my car at the moment... its in the garage as i cnt afford insurance now.... what a pain..

Photo0609.jpg

Photo0613.jpg

Photo0613.jpg

and my old 1.2...

smoothedmobile.jpg

hmmmm i dont know....

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I didn't think MX-5's cost that much to run really, unless it's had a turbo conversion or something?

How much does it cost to insure, as I can't imagine a 182/197 would be much cheaper?

J03

MX5 1.8
well now petrol has gone down its better, i fill up around £20 a week on it, insurance wise lets say it was £200+ a month... then i have my student room rent which is £363 a month... i need food every week which will cost around £10-20 a week... and by meaning saving for a 197 i meant get a s**t car for about 3 years whilst am at uni then il save up my some of my loans/grants/wages towards one... either that or i want a new fiesta ST.. which isnt out yet but it will be awsome when it comes out..

S2000
How much would you be after for the MX5? also what are the specs of it in terms of engine and power output?

I'm looking to change car very very soon and one of these is a definite possibility, but think I would need to do some engine work to get one with the sort of power output I would be after.

J03

MX5 1.8
been thinkin about normal 182s/172s dont know though think the shape is starting to age now... i want the next car to be something curvy/sharp... cant decide but i want to save up some money towards a good car

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Perhaps then get something nippy, and cheap to run then for the time being. Don't know what insurance would be like for you on say a Saxo Vts? MIne used to be ok, although was older then you, and the car didn't have any problems in 2 years of abuse. Never driven a car so hard, but it just encouraged it!

J03

MX5 1.8
How much would you be after for the MX5? also what are the specs of it in terms of engine and power output?

I'm looking to change car very very soon and one of these is a definite possibility, but think I would need to do some engine work to get one with the sort of power output I would be after.

i havent yet fully decided yet but if i were to sell it id been advised it sell it around £2700-£3200.. its a late MK1 model 1998 mx5 with a 1.8i engine. its got a hardtop (which costs fecking loads) a stiffening brace bracket underneath the car that stiffens up the centre chassis (costs loads too) S/S exhaust, pipercross induction kit, full service history and tons of receipts, lowered 35mm. its got extras like rear boot spoiler and lower lip spoiler, mud flaps, the car is nearly rust free for its age and its only covered 91k at the moment... i had the car dyno'd and it returned a healthy 129.7 bhp, so its lost 1.3 horses from new which is mint! but yet having said that i might just put it of the road for the time being and save it for summer but i dont know...

S2000
ok, if you do decide to sell in the very near future give me a shout. I would have to look into the costs of turboing/charging it though as I believe its quite common on these? Really don't want to drop to anything much slower than the hybrid but really like these for some reason.

J03

MX5 1.8
yeah ive been looking at cheap saxos... maybe not as much as a vtr but il be happy with a 1.0 or something crap... lol

and yeah il give you a shout don mate, its quite easy to tune the engine to over 200 with a turbo, the engine is solid too on these mk1s as they are non interferance, i was going to turbo it but its quite impossible to do that with no money... but il let you know as soon as i decide. they are RWD aswell so its plenty of fun and so easy to get teh back end out

S2000
nice one! Out of curiosity and my lazyness to find any MX5 clubs, do you have any idea of the sort of costs involved in the conversion kits? I would be doing as much as posisble myself so just interested in the purchase price tbh as that would make or break how much of a possibility this might be.

looking at you current situation , you'll probably loose a bit of money , but atleast you'll be back on the road . Or keep the mx5 and get a loan ?

If your poor. Take all the mods off. Surely its more expenisve to insurance a fast and furious type car rather than stock.

320d
Tbh mate, fast cars arnt the wisest idea whilst your at uni, how did you ever afford to run it. If i was you i'd get something small cheap to fun but still fun. What about a valver, or as above a vts tpft insurance isnt a lot on them usually.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
you should have kept the clio for a bit mate maybe planned ahead better.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Your a student paying over £200 a month for insurance!! Thats you first problem if your thinking about money.

I'd never pay more than £1000 insurance ever for any car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Your a student paying over £200 a month for insurance!! Thats you first problem if your thinking about money.

I'd never pay more than £1000 insurance ever for any car.

i gruge paying 350 for a group 14!!!
£1000 it would have to be something very special.

J03

MX5 1.8
yeah its abit daft paying £200 for insurance.. never mind serives and all that stuf... :( i want a clio... but am afraid of reliabilty issues...