ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shift Light

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Just a small question for anyone.I have noticed that my shift light comes on at different rpm's now and again.I usually find it comes on at just short of 7K but sometimes i have seen it appear at around 6250rpm.

The car is always fully warmed up before i tend to open it up so i cant see it being a temperature issue.Im not sure if the limiter comes in early if the shift indicator comes in at 6250rpm as i tend to not wait for it to hit the limiter.Any help on this curious little matter would be grateful.

Cheers....

p.s...No,i dont kick its teeth in everywhere i go,i just find that when i do open it up this has happened from time to time.

Civic Type R
this happens on my 182! I think that its temp related because it only happens when i haven't been in the car very long. Don't get me wrong I always wait till its warmed up and temp gauge is upto right temp and then a bit but sometimes maybe after 10 min of starting the car the shift light and limiter is lowered to 6750 instead of 7250.

If I hit the earlier limiter then I just wait another 5 min before driving it hard.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
dude you sure its not a temp problem?! i only get that if the car isnt warmed up. I think some people mentioned its about 15mins after you see the optimum temp on the dash

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's oil temperature related.

The temp guage on your dash is for the water temperature - the water/coolant heats up quicker than the oil as far as I'm aware.

The car is always fully warmed up

It does'nt sound like it.

I always give it at least 15mins before going above 3000rpm and never have that problem. But then I rarely hit the limiter or see the shift light either.

The temp gauge on the dash does'nt tell you if the engine is fully up to temperature unfortunately. It shows water temp not oil temp

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Looks like a temperature issue.Was pretty sure the car is warmed up as its generally around 20 mins after i set off for work before i hit any dual carriageways.Thanks for the help.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
dude you sure its not a temp problem?! i only get that if the car isnt warmed up. I think some people mentioned its about 15mins after you see the optimum temp on the dash

I have mentioned before that I did some testing for an unrelated purpose, and I was surprised how long it took before other evidence showed the ECU had decided the car was warmed up. It was long after the water temperature guage showed normal.

RB 182 with CUP packs
I think it's oil temperature related.

The temp guage on your dash is for the water temperature - the water/coolant heats up quicker than the oil as far as I'm aware.

I ALWAYS give the 182 @ least 20mins before going above 3K rpm.

The gauge on the dash is for coolant. Oil can take a further 10-15 mins to warm fully before being completely up to temp.

Just a small question for anyone.I have noticed that my shift light comes on at different rpm's now and again.I usually find it comes on at just short of 7K but sometimes i have seen it appear at around 6250rpm.

The car is always fully warmed up before i tend to open it up so i cant see it being a temperature issue.Im not sure if the limiter comes in early if the shift indicator comes in at 6250rpm as i tend to not wait for it to hit the limiter.Any help on this curious little matter would be grateful.

Cheers....

p.s...No,i dont kick its teeth in everywhere i go,i just find that when i do open it up this has happened from time to time.

dont kick its teeth hmmm i find it hard to belive once u hit the 5k band woooooooooo has to be done at least once a week or day come to think aboout it

My drive to work and back is about 10 minutes each way, so I never get above 3k in the week.
It's only if I drive for more than 15 minutes it goes above, which isn't all that often.

Why don't I own a diesel??

2003 clio sport 172
ive noticed mine comes on earlier in 3rd or 4th if i'm on a incline.
Not sure just change up when it comes on.
Cause thats when were dancin!!!!!!

133/225/CLS AMG
I've never understood that shift light. Seemed to come on at different RPMs compared from my 172 to my missus 182!! And also wasn't much of an 'optimum' change light either.

I remember my light coming on about 7,100rpm in my 172. Drove my missus 182 Cup which at the time was thorougly warmed up. Decided to stick my foot down in 2nd, to show her that her car had a shift light, it flickered at about 7,600rpm and then hit the limiter.

Only time I've ever hit a limiter in a car, only seen that shift light come on once before or since and it wasn't that high up the revs.

I'd take no notice of it at all.

133/225/CLS AMG
I wouldn't actually know the colder limiter as I mentioned, only hit the limiter this one time. Just seemed weird that the light flashes less than 100rpm before the limiter that one time?!?!?!

Isn't the cold limiter about 5,500 rpm though??

Leon Cupra 300
The limiter is in 3 stages depending if up to temperature or not... 6700, 7000, 7250.
So i would imagine the shift light may come on a few rpms before that so you dont hit it.

133/225/CLS AMG
The limiter is in 3 stages depending if up to temperature or not... 6700, 7000, 7250.
So i would imagine the shift light may come on a few rpms before that so you dont hit it.

That would make complete sense but the car was definitely 100% warmed up at the time. Done a good 30 minutes driving at the time. I just wonder how accurate and consistent some of the features are between cars!! lol

Leon Cupra 300
I know mate its weird, you may think it is but the car might think otherwise, mine's pretty random!

I've done 20minuts drive and hit the first limit, then did 5 mintues and could take to over 7k... its french

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
5 mile drive should be enough for the engine to warm up.

Don't keep the revs too low, becuse the car won't warm up properly.

Not got a car
Please people dont think the engine is warm and at a safe temp because the water gauge is half way, Just because the water gauge is at working temp does not mean the oil is, The oil could only be warm and not able to do the job its suposse to.

I.m really supprised that theres not a oil temp gauge.

I give it a good 15 - 20 mins not taking it higher than 5k but i suppose it depends on wht oil and grade you are using.

As for shift light, What a w**k and pointless idea.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
its more to do with how lose the engine is i think, u can drive for 2 hours but if u havnt opened it up much itll come on early. as u really rev it it will let u get further and further into the rev range, mine does anyway.

Banana
The in-dash shift light on clios are crap imo. If you really need a shift indicator, the aftermarket ones are much better and you can set them up yourself. Some of the better ones even have a launch control rev limiter. Or better still, get to know your engine- It lets you know when it needs a changin' :D