ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shareing files over Wireless Network

Ph2 172
I'm sure I must be missing something, and i'm sure it must be something fairly simple!!

I have a desktop PC, running Windows Vista that is cabled to a Sky Router. Laptop also running Vista on wireless.

Am trying to get laptop to be able to access files that are stored in "my" area on the desktop. My documents etc. It can access files in shared directories, but not my own stuff.

When I had an XP laptop, that would log into my desktop perfectly everytime and was ably to access all the files i wanted - but for some reason can't make vista do it.

Any thoughts?

Fiesta ST
You need to share your folder in c:\user and set the appropriate permissions for the user logging in via the laptop.

Ph2 172
Fairly confident I have that "shared", as like i say it all worked on my xp laptop, just not on the Vista one.

A red missile
Have you looked at windows defender (or whatever its called in Vista), that might need to allow other networked machines access. Same with whatever firewall you are using under xp, with zone alarm I have to set up an ip range to allow machines access.