ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shall I keep it or or not

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Bit of a dilemma.
Currently have a 172 Cup which I have had just short of 12 months. Great car etc but find it a bit tiresome and raw at times.

Now been tempted by the Clio Trophy or a Megane 225. Both seem more rapid than the Cup and in the Trophys case more refined yet still really sharp handling. Megane is a different kettle of fish I agree but I do like the Meganes. Thing is both wil cost more on finance than the 172 costs me so to debate about keeping the Cup and maybe modding it a bit - sports exhaust, Recaros, maybe induction kit?

It has done so far 34500 miles in 2 and a half years. Due the major service soon and its got the 4k rattle. Beyond that are there any more essential expenses that are likely to crop up in the next 12 to 18 months?
I dont want to find that by keeping it I start spending the same amount of money as it may have cost me to by a new(er) car.

All thoughts appreciated!

Andrew

cock mobile.

If you find the cup raw surely the Trophy is not the car for you!

Plus it would be a lot of money to change to the Trophy, and would all that cash really be worth it? You could get coilovers and recaros for a lot less!!

Cant comment on the 225 as Ive never driven one, but people seem to change to them because they want something more refined than the clio.

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

Thanks for comments so far!
sh33n - having test driven the Trophy I was surprised how much more of a refined car it is than my Cup. Yes the ride is harder but not crashy like the Cup but overall it feels much more grown up. None of the twitchyness and noise that the Cup has. I was expecting the Trophy to be very similar to my Cup but it is in a different league.
Hit the nail on the head with your comment on the 225 which is why I was looking at one originally. Trophy was only an afterthought when I found my local dealer had a demo one.

telford_mike. With you on that one but have not found a dealer yet with one to try plus I would have to go second hand if I get a 225. Standard was not too bad but turn-in not too sharp! Nearly understeered off the road when I drove one.....

Andrew

cock mobile.

Did you make a decision on yet?

How about the Trophy 225? Best of both worlds maybe?

Would you say the Trophy was worth swapping from the cup? (Please dont make me thing of changing mine, lol).

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

No decision made yet, though I think I will end up getting a 225 of some kind. Missed out on a 225 Trophy at a local dealer though :(
I guess it, or a Cup packed standard 225 would be very good but not found any dealers with one yet or another Trophy I can try.

I will be honest and say no, I do not think the 182 Trophy is worth the upgrade from a 172 Cup. I had another test drive and yes it does handle perhaps a touch sharper, especially on turn in but it was not overwhelmingly different and the seats are nice but you could fit those aftermarket. It is still more refined I think (and also has aircon and cruise control) but that could be down to the fact it was a brand new car rather than a 2 and half year old that has been driven quite hard :)

There are some nice points to the Trophy and dont get me wrong it is a great car, but when it comes down to it I think I would be buying it because it is the Trophy rather than being a significantly better car.

On the other hand I had a huge grin on my face after I tried the 225 again. The kick it has from low revs really is fantastic. Just the steering that takes some getting used too but it is far less twitchy along the same roads as either my Cup or the 182 Trophy I tried and the brakes and fabulous. I like the almost q-car factor of it being a 5 door hatch that cam really see off quite a lot of other cars.

BUT, I may still keep my Cup anyway for a while longer or go for something completely different - Vectra 3.2 V6 GSi maybe?!

Andrew

Megane 225 Arctic Blue

lol. You are right of course the Vectra is not renowned for its cornering abilities :)
The V6 engines though are fantastic(both in performance and noise) but yes it is a cruiser rather than anything else.

225 is still top at the moment so dont worry...

Andrew