ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

severe oil leak

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
afternoon all am looking for sum advice really...
have gone to go out this morning and realised that there looked like dodgy looking patch by the side of my car...
after starting it without realising what that patch was ,,the car had no oil in it ,,,i only fired it up heard the hurrendous noise and turned it off
... i put sum oil back in it to see where the leak was and it looks like its dripping badly from the sump...

would i have severly damaged it by starting it or will it be ok if i stop the leak?

i cant investigate further as its pissing with rain at the moment ,,any advice would be muchly appreciated

Clio 197
Do you not use the oil indicator check when you switch the ignition on?

How much oil was in it, any idea? The difference between min / max is 1litre

SQ5
Do you not use the oil indicator check when you switch the ignition on?

How much oil was in it, any idea? The difference between min / max is 1litre

I wouldn't trust that lol! Mines been right on about 2/10 Clios lol!

If its making horrendous noises its as good as fucked.

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
Am gunna look under it today n have got a new sump off of one that's breaking locally... Am just hoping that she ain't Fooked otherwise there will be a ph2 up for sale with a Fooked engine

Clio 197
I wouldn't trust that lol! Mines been right on about 2/10 Clios lol!

If its making horrendous noises its as good as f**ked.

I agree, but as a guide it will be fine. I dont understand how it could suddenly loose all oil without noticing any kind of level issue first.

Yeah, noises = BAD

Clio 197
Am gunna look under it today n have got a new sump off of one that's breaking locally... Am just hoping that she ain't Fooked otherwise there will be a ph2 up for sale with a Fooked engine

Ah so have you cracked the sump then?

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
I'm only assuming that at the moment as I can't think of it being anything else .. As I'm not that mechanically minded I'm pointing my finger at that first lol

Clio 197
I'm only assuming that at the moment as I can't think of it being anything else .. As I'm not that mechanically minded I'm pointing my finger at that first lol

Yeah all will become clear once you get under and have a look. If your struggling I am sure if you clean the area up and post a picture members on here will be able to point you to the cause. Good luck :)

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
update....
luckily today the rain held off and im overcoming the last few days of the flu so i got the spanners out...
took the sump off,what a b*****d that was may i add,
it turns out there was a punch hole just behind the sump plug,so on with a new sump&gasket,whilst there i done the oil filter aswell all bolts up tight and dropped it down for sum fresh oil......fired it up and let it run for 5 mins and luckily it still runs the same as it did before ...a big thank f**k for that i said lol

if anyone has to do this on their rs id advise strongly that you do it on a ramp ,not on a gravel driveway with car ramps lol..ive learnt the hard way

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
No m8 was a bit of a nightmare as the Pearson that designed these has to make everything so fuckin tight lol... I removed top engine mount pulled it up with an engine crane (a must)
Loosend all bolts to subframe and had to loosen l/h side of slam panel , even then it was a thought squeeze to get it out

330i. E30 Touring.
You just have to hold the engine up enough to wiggle the sump out.

No need for slam panel or subframe bolts to be touched.

It's fiddly, but doable.

Clio 197
No m8 was a bit of a nightmare as the Pearson that designed these has to make everything so f**kin tight lol... I removed top engine mount pulled it up with an engine crane (a must)
Loosend all bolts to subframe and had to loosen l/h side of slam panel , even then it was a thought squeeze to get it out

No really a side of the road jobbie then :S
I had read before about the sump bolts sometimes causing a bit of a problem. Glad you got it sorted though;)

Bloody lucky not to have damaged anything when you started it. at least its done now.

Is there a certain sequence/specific rotaional direction to tightening the sump bolts? or just whap em up?

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
I did them opposite to each other m8 ... Yeah damn lucky everything's ok or I'd ave been fucked , I wasn't lookin forward to a second Xmas wiv no car