ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Server 2003 backup help

'02 Monaco Blue 172
I've recently set up a home server which is an old pc i've loaded Windows server 2003 onto, and has a mac and pc attached, which read and write to a 'work' partition on the server.

I want to make a back up of the 'work' drive onto an external HD but not the normal back up way. If possible I want to back up to the 'work' drive so it copies all files onto the external hard drive in the same folder structure, then on a daily basis will check the 'work' drive, and update any additional or amended files.

I have previously used Carbon Copy Cloner on the mac which worked a treat, and have tried norton ghost solution on the server but cant seem to get it do what i want. Currently backing up via the standard server backup an 80 gig drive takes about 4 hours a night and writes everything to one file which is not what i want to do!

Anyone offer any assistance? cheers

R26
Give robocopy a try mate i use that for backing up my MP3's

ITs part of vista or can be installed via the Windows Resource Kit Link

Then you can just create a batch file to only backup new files

Help here Link

'02 Monaco Blue 172
cheers for the help guys, downloaded robocopy and managed to get it to copy a file which is pretty good for me! i'm a bit of a novice with the command line and writing batches and windows scheduler etc, bit of a novice as in I have no idea how to do it!!

Anyone have any how to's?

Basically want to copy one drive to external, then once daily update any new or amended files, the drive is just under 100 gig!
thanks again

R26
"C:\Windows\System32\robocopy.exe" "E:\" "M:\" /E /XO /V

That will backup drive E to M and skip older files