ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Serious ABS Problems!

Clio 1.2 16v
Hi All,

It appears my Clio 1.2 16v (2001) has some serious issues involving ABS to the point where I couldnt get home tonight,

What happens is when I am driving mainly up hills and go down a slight bump in the road the ABS will kick in and my car will break to a stop (I dont even touch the brake pedal).

It is only doing this on the left side or atleast it feels that way as the car is pulling to the left and it sounds like my car is skidding.

It has happend 4 times on the way home tonight and it feels quite dangerous since I have no idea when its going to happen or why its braking without me even touching the brake pedal.

I have read about this happening at low speed under braking (which has been happening) but never like this where I am just driving along as normal and the ABS kicks in!

Has anyone else come across this and could it be a simple fix of a new abs sensor or abs ring?

Thanks, Sam

Clio 1.2 16v
Managed to get it home tonight with my Dad and the wheels locked up again and I put my head out the passenger window (he was driving) and noticed its the rear wheel locking up.

Anyway we took the rear brake all to bits tonight and cleaned it up (was fairly rusty and lots of brake dust over the ABS sensor)

Took it out for another drive and the problem seems to have gone,

The ABS ring itself was in perfect condition,

I will drive it with caution now and see if it happens again unless you guys have any advice.

Clio 1.2 16v
But they had not been touched before the problems started occuring,

Could the build up of brake dust case the brakes to cease on?

it's appling the brakes without you touching the pedal?

sounds like the pumps fu'cked then. Or check the pedal switch isn't loose or adjusted itself out.