ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scary moment today - alternator smoking !

200,182 Trophy, Cup
I reversed the car out of the garage this aft to give it a little run round the block, it’s not been out for a few weeks.

It started ok and I left it ticking over for 5 mins then turned it off.

I went back to it half an hour later and when I turned the key, nothing ! No dash lights, everything dead. I put the jump leads onto my other car, it struggled to start but went eventually when I went to unclip the jump leads I saw smoke coming from the alternator with a horrible smell. I turned it straight off and unclipped the leads, for a moment I wondered whether to grab the extinguisher but it subsided.

I can only guess the windings were burning. I am wondering whether a blob of waxoyl I put under the bonnet has dripped into it as there seemed to be a greasy/oily patch on it.

I’ve taken the alternator off this aft so looking like a bit of a spend on Monday. Hopefully no other damage has been done and a new one will sort it

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Scary stuff, underbonnet smoke is never a good thing! Hopefully new alternator and sorted

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
This happened to a lad at Nurburgring a couple of years ago when we were there!

200,182 Trophy, Cup
What car was it?

Cup.

I spent an hour in garage last night taking it off the car last night. There is something greasy or oily got into it I think. Whether that has shorted something inside I don’t know. Hopefully a replacement will be all I need. I may swap battery too just to be on safe side.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
This happened to mine earlier in the year. Had reverves odd the drive to give it a wash, filled the bucket up and started cleaning the wheels and could smell smoke. Quickly realised it was coming from the bonnet.

Is the car used daily?

200,182 Trophy, Cup
This happened to mine earlier in the year. Had reverves odd the drive to give it a wash, filled the bucket up and started cleaning the wheels and could smell smoke. Quickly realised it was coming from the bonnet.

Is the car used daily?

No it’s rarely used although I can’t imagine that being a cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
No it’s rarely used although I can’t imagine that being a cause

Thats what caused mine to happen! It had been "off the road" for 6 months. I started it every week on the drive but as it was sorned it sidnt get a run out. After a few months the battery / stop light started to flicker and it would struggle to start. I put a new battery on thinking that was the issue but it kept doing the same, and reading on here it was an indication of the alternator on the way out.

Then it started smoking one day as mentioned above. I disconected the battery straight away and even hosed the alternator down just to be safe. I had taked to a garage on a recovery truck and new alternator put on.

I now have it taxed just so i can give it a run out every week as i feel it causes more issues by not being used. Dont think i will even do 1k miles in it in a year but its worth paying the tax / insurance to keep it running properly.

200,182 Trophy, Cup
Thats what caused mine to happen! It had been "off the road" for 6 months. I started it every week on the drive but as it was sorned it sidnt get a run out. After a few months the battery / stop light started to flicker and it would struggle to start. I put a new battery on thinking that was the issue but it kept doing the same, and reading on here it was an indication of the alternator on the way out.

Then it started smoking one day as mentioned above. I disconected the battery straight away and even hosed the alternator down just to be safe. I had taked to a garage on a recovery truck and new alternator put on.

I now have it taxed just so i can give it a run out every week as i feel it causes more issues by not being used. Dont think i will even do 1k miles in it in a year but its worth paying the tax / insurance to keep it running properly.

Well I suppose it’s better to run them now and again but I just get the feeling with mine it is some contamination which caused it although that could be just coincidental.

Hopefully I will be able to pick a new one up today so I can get it on later

200,182 Trophy, Cup
I fitted the new one this aft. I also put a new battery on just to be on the safe side. All ok again, hopefully be ok for our annual Northumberland trip in 4 weeks