ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sat Nav Advice

I'm after a dedicated sat nav.

No phone app suggestions.

Under £100. Lifetime maps would be ideal.

I'm assuming it's going to be Garmin/TomTom but no idea which is better.

Ta in advance.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I'm the same but need Europe. Think there are a couple of Tom Tom's for about £130 iirc.

That doesn't come with lifetime map updates does it Jay?
Deeg - I've seen a Garmin which comes with lifetime updates and western Europe maps - £90 iirc. No experience with Garmins though so was hoping somebody might say whether they are good/bad.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
That doesn't come with lifetime map updates does it Jay?
Deeg - I've seen a Garmin which comes with lifetime updates and western Europe maps - £90 iirc. No experience with Garmins though so was hoping somebody might say whether they are good/bad.

Nor me, I've always used Tom Tom.

It's be interesting to hear about Garmin, but I've never had any issue with Tom Tom.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
I would highly recommend Garmin.

I have used TomTom and Garmin extensively in cars and on bikes, they are very close if you had to choose. Can't go wrong with either really, especially with the lifetime mapping on offer too.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
My satnav system is a Garmin. It's a little ropey at times but works.

My phone's satnav is far better but you don't want to hear about that.

Cayman S Edition 1
Even though I've got sat nav in the car, I sometimes use Waze on my iPhone which is brilliant. Also if it's connected via USB, then the nav voice comes out the speakers.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
That looks great, bargain. It may not be the latest device, but a bargain all the same

Nice one. I'll get it ordered then.

Was put off by some people criticising some of the routes that Garmin seems to send you on, but I'll give it a go.

I've sold them for a living for 7 years.

Go Garmin. Not a huge difference between tomtom/garmin any more, but for me garmin still come out on top.

Much nicer to deal with aftersales wise if you have a warranty issue.
We still see less garmins come back as wonky.
Tend to be £10 or £20 cheaper per model.

They were the first to do free lifetime updates / lifetime traffic. Tomtom have rushed out their alternative soon after each time.

This one for UK with lifetime maps and the larger 5" screen £89.99
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...0151&storeId=10001&productId=944589&langId=-1

If you need Europe, this is the same as above but with full Europe mapping for £99.00
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_944609_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

PM me if you need anymore help

Clio
My phone's satnav is far better but you don't want to hear about that.

Not mentioning Mobile Apps at all, but I switched my Tom Tom off the other day and just use Google Maps now. It is spot on and the traffic stuff works to perfection.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Topgeartom

What is the difference between the Garmin Nuvi 54LM and the Garmin Nuvi 42LM?

Other than screen size being smaller on the 42, and it being £10 more expensive?

I'm tempted by the 54LM as it's pretty reasonably priced plus it has all of Europe which may or may not be useful at some point.

as I said above, I've never used Garmin, so will wander to Halfords later and have a play.

@Topgeartom

What is the difference between the Garmin Nuvi 54LM and the Garmin Nuvi 42LM?

Other than screen size being smaller on the 42, and it being £10 more expensive?

I'm tempted by the 54LM as it's pretty reasonably priced plus it has all of Europe which may or may not be useful at some point.

as I said above, I've never used Garmin, so will wander to Halfords later and have a play.

Essentially no difference other than what you mentioned

Larger screen - 5" versus 4.3"
Way more maps - 54 has Full Europe, 42 only has UK

The 54 is a slightly newer model too, so you might find it works very slightly quicker than the 42 but the difference in that regard will be incredibly small.

I would always suggest having a play with one first, you might hate the way they work which would be a deal breaker.

Just give me a shout if you need any more advice.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Essentially no difference other than what you mentioned

Larger screen - 5" versus 4.3"
Way more maps - 54 has Full Europe, 42 only has UK

The 54 is a slightly newer model too, so you might find it works very slightly quicker than the 42 but the difference in that regard will be incredibly small.

I would always suggest having a play with one first, you might hate the way they work which would be a deal breaker.

Just give me a shout if you need any more advice.

I got the Nuvi56 in the end, as it was £99.99, down from £129.99, so thought might as well get the new model.

Will have a play with it tomorrow and see how I get on.

Cheers mate.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully get the lifetime maps sorted and updated too. My current UK TOM TOM has a few places where the map just doesn't have a clue about new roads.