ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung LED Slim TV

dk

911 GTS Cab
He's got a point.

Someone saw my tv the other day and ignored the size of it and launched what I found a very upsetting attack because my tv is about 4 inches thick.

I couldn't sleep after that.

It might look great, but is it really worth spending all that cash because its thin?
its got nothing to do with the fact its thin that i want it, its because its an amazing picture and uses a lot less power.

The thin part is just a cool bonus, a talking point.

dk

911 GTS Cab
but they need to be around £1500 to make them mainstream, when an 11" is £1200, a 37" is going to be megabucks!

I also heard they were strugling to make them reliable at that size too.

E90
its got nothing to do with the fact its thin that i want it, its because its an amazing picture and uses a lot less power.

The thin part is just a cool bonus, a talking point.

Your dinner parties must be a laugh riot dave if you discuss the thickness of televisions.

3 x Renaults + Lexus
We just fitted 2 x 46 Samsung LED's and they are amazing

I dare say there will be a few OLED's at Cedia next week

dk

911 GTS Cab
Got a panasonic g10 here, and i am well chuffed with it. Would have preferred a pioneer but couldn't justify the premium price.
As far as I know, the samsung "LED" sets are LCD screens with LEDs that provide partial backgroundlightning to keep the blacks black (not grey etc.). But I have heard that local dimming LEDs are the way to go for (like in the Sony X-series). And even those have some issues when it comes to a black sky with stars against it. The screen "swallows" some stars. And never spits them out again.
think you are thinking of the lcd 9 series, they are lcd with led's to help blacks, the 7000 series LED is an LED tv, hence why its so thin as it has no backlight like an LCD does.

The more i look at these tv's the more i think i'll get the 8 series LED 46" for my pad, seems to be the best there is out there at the mo.

dk

911 GTS Cab
No they aren't :) There really are no pure LED-TVs at the moment. It's a Samsung marketing thing. They call their LCDs that use LED-backlighting LED-TVs which of course can me missleading as they are still LCDs.
Check out this video which shows the TV being taken apart:
http://www.marcush.de/2009/04/09/samsung-b7090-led-edge-lcd-tv-aufgeschraubt/
so how are they so thin compared to a normal lcd then?

they must be lacking something an lcd normally has to make them wafer thin?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
so how are they so thin compared to a normal lcd then?

they must be lacking something an lcd normally has to make them wafer thin?

Yup they don't have a traditional backlight, they have LEDs, funnily enough.

Not sure what Timb1984 was getting at, we all know that these are LCD panels but the whole point is they have the LED backlights.

Unless he thinks we think these are OLED?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yup they don't have a traditional backlight, they have LEDs, funnily enough.

Not sure what Timb1984 was getting at, we all know that these are LCD panels but the whole point is they have the LED backlights.

Unless he thinks we think these are OLED?
cool, thought i was going mad again!

good video though!

Ibiswhite Audi S3 8P
Just to clarify though. The LEDs do not reproduce any colors though, its just the lightning right?

Polo + Micra
well the reason they are so thin is that the back light has moved to the edge isn't it?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Just to clarify though. The LEDs do not reproduce any colors though, its just the lightning right?

yup it's purely the backlight.

With LED you can 'turn them off' in localised areas of the screen to give better black reproduction rather than conventional backlights.

Polo + Micra
yup it's purely the backlight.

With LED you can 'turn them off' in localised areas of the screen to give better black reproduction rather than conventional backlights.

well it could on the 9 series samsungs but not on the new ones