ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Same car, 2 different insurance policies

Less
Is it against the law to have 2 insurance policies on the same car.
One insurance policy for my GF and the other one for me, so we are both building up NCB.?

v6
Don't direct line offer no claim bonuses for named drivers? They seem to give good quotes on 182s too.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Whether or not its legal I think if you work through the economics of it you'll find it doesn't add up. It ends up costing more than you benefit.

My trusty lil 182 :)
Is it against the law to have 2 insurance policies on the same car.

Yes, plus your GF won't be able to insure your car cos she doesn't own it and therefore doesn't have an insurable interest. As said above a policy that gives named drivers NCD is the way to go. Think Admiral or someone advertised that they have started doing this as well as DL.

Lotus Elise 111R
The answer is simple. You insure it one year, she the next, you the following. This maintains each of your bonuses, builds them up, admittedly at half the pace, but it works. I used to do this with my wife's car when I had a company car for years, to keep my NCB.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Yes, plus your GF won't be able to insure your car cos she doesn't own it and therefore doesn't have an insurable interest.

You dnt have to own the car to insure it. i dnt own my car but i insure it.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
you have to read the policy very very very care fully, most policys assume you own the car and do not ask who the owner is, but state in the policy the driver mustbe the owner.
Most will not touch you if you are not the cars owner.
if you are oging to do that route, you could do what the indian family do in my estate they have a banger that they keep just road worthy its worth like £20, they only insure it for 1000 miles a year (the insurance want proof of it in the form of copies of the MOT Cert)they insure it to the youngest in the family, and it dosnt move the take it out for a 5 minute run evry now nd a gain, and have a stupide excess on it so its only a couple of hunderd quid to insure, mean while the person is named on another policy but declare they have their own car etc so. the system works quite well.
but that was before the insurance started doing named get NCB.