ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sabelt Steering wheel + Cruise Control

Renaultsport 220T
Having been meaning to do this since removing the OE wheel, but finally got around to it today.

Inspired by Inferno and his thread here

So, first off I removed the Sabelt wheel and my sparco NOs buttons. Then I found some cardboard to make a template with. After a couple of versions, I settled on this shape and cut it out. Version 3!

web.jpg

Placed behind wheel it looks like this.

web.jpg

Once I was happy with the size and shape, I got a sheet of CF and covered it with masking tape. I then redrew the template, taking care to mark all the holes for the boss and centre hole. Once happy, the jigsaw came out.

web.jpg

The edges were filed and rounded, and then I drilled out the boss mountings.

web.jpg

The cruise control buttons were next to drill, it was a challenge getting them aligned correctly, but after a load of measuring and checking, these were drilled out too.

Time to remove the masking tape. Carbon Fibretastic!

web.jpg

Doesn't look like much yet, but once I'd fitted the buttons, it started to come together. Got these from RS.

web.jpg

So to wire these in to the car we still need to know the resistance values from the original boards that are fitted to the original buttons. As I don't have these anymore Inferno is going to check them on his wheel for me with a multimeter. Cheers for that one mate! :) Hopefully once I have these I can get this all wired in and tested on the weekend.

In the meantime, I still need to steer, so I refitted the wheel with the buttons in place, I also wired the horn into the centre button. Still haven't put the yellow Sabelt sticker on it. Can't decide whether it's too much or not?

Crap iphone pics, but you get the idea. I think it looks spot on. Very pleased with the results. Comments welcome. :D

web.jpg

web.jpg

Steviant

Nothing at the mo :(
thats awesome!! maybe you should make some and sell them on? thats the main reason i dont wanna get a aftermarket steering wheel cause i love my cruise control to much

Renaultsport 220T
EPIC!!

How much ;)

The switches cost around £7 each. Sheet of carbon was borrowed from a good friend. I think you could pick up some for £30?

thats awesome!! maybe you should make some and sell them on? thats the main reason i dont wanna get a aftermarket steering wheel cause i love my cruise control to much

I could do, but everyone's wheel would be different shape size etc. So would be impractical. Easy enough to do yourself with a bit of patience.

cheers

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Looks class mate! I dont use my cruise control but would like to do this now lol! Btw how did you do the horn? Istill need to do mone bit heard its unsafe and sets on fire?? U got any pics

Renaultsport 220T
Looks class mate! I dont use my cruise control but would like to do this now lol! Btw how did you do the horn? Istill need to do mone bit heard its unsafe and sets on fire?? U got any pics

Yeah I've seen a couple catch fire. :eek:

I've just wired mine in properly and kept the terminals well apart. I didn't take any pics, but will do some when I remove to wire in the resistors at the weekend.

RB 182
Good work! Will try and dig out what resistors you need and how they are wired if need be?

Here is my wheel project that I'm soon to put on the car :)

CIMG3104.gif

CIMG2841.gif

RB 182
274R (Farnell part No. 108-3190) - Left toggle button (+)
100R (Farnell part No. 108-3143) - Left toggle button (-)
910R (Farnell part No. 108-3246) - Right toggle button (R & O)

The Right toggle button is connected together with one resistor, then split off with the blue and grey wires. The Left side has two resistors for each speed change.

I have a drawing but will either need to scan it in or do an photoshop drawing later on. give me one min and i'll upload the test pics lol.

RB 182
Resistance as normal:

CIMG2653.gif

Plus (+) Button:

CIMG2654.gif

Minus (-) Button:

CIMG2655.gif

CC Toggle (R):

CIMG2663.gif

CC Toggle (0):

CIMG2669.gif

I used shrink wrap after hearing the stories about wires sparking and catching on fire lol. Each wire with a layer, then one ontop to secure into place. :)

CIMG2652.gif

Renaultsport 220T
Installed the resistors last week, finally got round to uploading the pics.

My cousin is an electrical engineer, so he wired this for me, as I'm about as useful at wiring as weeman is at driving. ;)

All the right tools

web.jpg

wiring looked complicated, but once he sussed it out with it was a 10 minute job. All of the connections go to just 2 on the Reno loom.

web.jpg

Touch of solder, smokin

web.jpg

Mucho shrink wrap needed as there are a lot of wires in a small confined space.

web.jpg

Resistors going in

web.jpg

This was all tidied away in place and finally the horn was reconnected.
As we don't want it sparking up and catching fire, we insulated the terminals like so

web.jpg

Then I got the fun task of testing it out on the road. Luckily it all worked first time. It's really neat install. Now driving around is like using an xbox controller. lol

Clio 182
Fair play that looks seriously impressive. Id love to give this a go think I would need a guide and someone helping the whole way.

I managed to see the photos before they disappeared.

If you want I can draw something like what it looked like? I'm going to do the same but won't be getting a Sabelt for a few months

Jon

CLIO 182
Steviant do you have any pics of the wiring I'm bloody useless with electronics as its not my forte but if you could shed some light on how you re wired the original buttons with resistors to the new buttons that would be incredible. Shame the pics at the start vanished :(

any help would be appreciated mate!

ps tried pm'in but you're box is full I believe mate