ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running Lights Trigger Brake Lights

'05 16v 1.2 Clio MK2
2005 MK2 Extreme. When running lights / dipped beams are on, brake lights are also on which I don't think will pass MOT and isn't safe. It used to be the intermittent disco lights as shown in video but that's been sorted, they now stay on fully when not supposed to! And when braking, the dashboard lights go dim as if running lights are on (although not sure if any other exterior lights are illuminated) It just sounds like some leakage somewhere, I've replaced both rear bulb holders but not harnesses which fixed the issue for a short time (days). With winter approaching I'd rather sort this issue out.

Attachments

• 20230515_085139.mp4
    56.1 MB
  '05 16v 1.2 Clio MK2
Some context, I dont know much about cars as I passed in December. I'm a year away from being a qualified electrician so good grasp on electrics just not ELV DC vehicular. it's had a new battery and alternator to fix another ongoing issue with non charging, not starting. It's a good earth/ negative connection after I re-terminated the connection to chassis as corroded and resistance was high.

'05 16v 1.2 Clio MK2
It'll be the earths. Check the plugs for the rear lights and clean up the

100% as above, unplug the rear light clusters and check the connectors for corrosion. Very common on Clio 2s
I replaced both bulb holders as they where both corroded on the blue cable end side. Must be the wiring harness clip as well? How would I replace those, thru crimp and heatshrink?

'05 16v 1.2 Clio MK2
Thankyou all for your replies, I've solved it now and if anyone was curious. When I put new light clusters on with the bulbs they came with, the problem went away, I noticed a bulb out and changed it for one from the previous cluster and the problem returned. Later found that the bulb was wrong type with incorrect spacing between contacts and was sending the running lights signal into the brake light signal as well! So simple 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you got it sorted and thank you for posting the solution 👌