ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ruby the 1.2 Rep

About a year ago a friend of mine was looking to buy a titanium 182 and sell his red 1.2 campus sport, already having a clio I took the opportunity to upgrade to a newer model, thats where the story begins

20130809_130352_zps9bcf0d96.jpg

as i had another car on the road at the time i took the opportunity to send the wheels off to be powder coated black and also give the calipers a good clean, spray then red to match the car, went and bought a skoda splitter and was pretty happy with myself

20140720_221751_zps37296f55.jpg

up until this week this is how she stayed with the exception of new headlight bulbs and led sidelights however things are about to change

after looking at changing the car and not really finding anything that took my fancy a red clio 1.2/172 replica that had been written off mid project appeared on here so the decision was made to jump in with both feet and get Ruby looking like a trophy (bearing in mind that other than swapping wheels and changing bulbs i have no actually mechanical experience and plan on doing the work myself)

20140819_182543_zpsae7e1e83.jpg

20140819_182552_zps9fe6df1e.jpg

20140819_182604_zps4db2ffe7.jpg

this is the car we picked up 2 days ago and as me and my friend Jay (who is also not a mechanic) have to go back to work/uni in september so we didnt waste any time on getting started, got up early yesterday morning, grabbed a mcdonalds breakfast and 2 hours later the donor was looking rather sorry for itself, Jay was looking rather pleased

20140820_122449_zps8816c524.jpg

20140820_112444_zps097aa438.jpg

took all the parts to get a a quote on a respray as the paintwork wasnt the best, not an issue for myself as it needed respraying to be a perfect match, got quoted £200 for front bumper, both wings, both side skirts, rear bumper, bootlid and cup spoiler, not sure if this is good as im doing the sanding down myself but its going to the best guy around my area and i know its gonna be a professional finish

day 2 of the project and all the interior was being swapped over, didnt take too long to do so also stripped more off the donor car ready to sell

20140821_164328_zps4495ce8f.jpg

20140821_143250_zps27747eb1.jpg

20140821_164407_zps0dce9d92.jpg

the door cards have also been done now and the dash is reading completely clear so all in all a good afternoon

the car has come with 172 suspension and brakes, i've been told that the only components which need to be bought in order to get the abs and speedo working are the abs rings and sensors but if anyone could shed some light on the swap i'd appreciate it, pointless wasting 172 suspension as its sitting on eibach springs

Not alot been happening over the last few days, had to get all the panels prepared for spraying but they all went off to the paint shop this morning, also got the front sub frame off the donor car
just wondering if anyone has had any experiences disassembling the headlight housing, the ones i had were covered in dirt inside the lenses as well as having marks on the chrome and a broken height adjuster so i've split the lense from the housing and used the opportunity to spray the inserts black
i'll get some photos of the process up tomorrow as i've only managed to get one done today

thanks, you dont see many trophy reps on here, the main one being knuckles', so hopefully it'll be something different, especially when i get the twin exhaust made up for it

headlights still arent finished as i need to seal the first one and then repeat the process on the drivers side, but just a quick comparison
20140831_112949_zpse89b279e.jpg

20140831_113010_zpsf13faca5.jpg

20140831_112936_zps2b18ea02.jpg

photos arent the best because of the sun but i'll grab some better ones when the headlights are inside, they also need a buff on the outside of the lens

after getting the panels on the car things have slowed down, got the front widetrack done and springs all round

also picked up the headlight washer blanks and a third set of alloys meaning the car went from this
20140915_152110_zpsa3f1de07.jpg

to this
20140902_193115_zpsb638b631.jpg

and now this
20140920_170154_zps543aa1a9.jpg

this 17s are abit big for my liking but the 15s were buried under the arches so until i can save up for some 16 turini's or 16 pro race 1.2s they'll have to do

also removed the rear wiper
20140920_170227_zpsa35bdc45.jpg

Thanks, all needs a good polish to be spot on and I did the prep work for the panels myself which brought the price down if your willing to put in the time, waiting to get the rear axle fitted then onto a custom 182 rep exhaust

Thanks, all needs a good polish to be spot on and I did the prep work for the panels myself which brought the price down if your willing to put in the time, waiting to get the rear axle fitted then onto a custom 182 rep exhaust

As much as I love a good rep.. what does it cost all in to make one. Just curious?

I'm not entirely sure how much it's cost taking into account there are parts I have to sell which will hopefully recoup some of the money but I bought a written off clio rep project on here for 600 and that had everything on it including cup spoiler, interior and full suspension conversion, I've recouped about 150 of it back so far by selling the original wheels and interior but I have a shed full of parts still to sell which will help including a set of gold wheels that came with the donor car, I'm hoping to end up doing it all for 500

cheers all, been abit of a rush getting it all done as i need the car for uni, still along way to go yet especially the exhaust
yeah man, was looking to change up to a 182 or possibly a 197/200 but with the cost of petrol and me clocking up 500 miles a week it'll have to wait till next year

just a quick update the dreadful red rear drums are gone, got a picture of it with the drums still on but they are gone now, I'll grab a picture tomorrow as i need a drivers handbrake cable and then an all round bleed and the suspension is all finished
IMG_20140923_130005_zps2695902c.jpg

Clio mk3
cheers all, been abit of a rush getting it all done as i need the car for uni, still along way to go yet especially the exhaust
yeah man, was looking to change up to a 182 or possibly a 197/200 but with the cost of petrol and me clocking up 500 miles a week it'll have to wait till next year

just a quick update the dreadful red rear drums are gone, got a picture of it with the drums still on but they are gone now, I'll grab a picture tomorrow as i need a drivers handbrake cable and then an all round bleed and the suspension is all finished
IMG_20140923_130005_zps2695902c.jpg

Nice meeting you the other week,shame you have the same problem as me with the alloys,they just look too big. Wicked car tho,looks awesome in photos and in person!

Nice meeting you the other week,shame you have the same problem as me with the alloys,they just look too big. Wicked car tho,looks awesome in photos and in person!

you too, good to meet members on here, just a shame the south wales meet was called off, hopefully be another one in the not too distant future

Clio mk3
you too, good to meet members on here, just a shame the south wales meet was called off, hopefully be another one in the not too distant future

Bought myself a set of turinis for £80 last week after we were talking about them haha. Getting them refurbed in anthracite hopefully get them in tomorrow[emoji16] Yeo definitely need a meet before I sell up in the new year

20141108_163838_zps01934193.jpg

after a quick drive to bristol its time to go from being a 172 rep to a 182 rep
was gonna try get it on tonight but after realising i had no exhaust paste its a sunday morning job

so fitted the exhaust last sunday but only today had a chance to take her out for a decent drive. Lucky for me I live 10 minutes away from the Brecon Beacons National Park so thought I go up there and have to say the exhaust doesn't disappoint, I have to say Prospeed really know what they're doing when it comes to building these custom systems and even being a 1.2 the sound it makes is a joy to be heard
Also a good thing I couldn't take the car out any earlier as I hadn't gotten round to fitting new discs and pads till Wednesday evening and to say they make a world of difference is an understatement.
Grabbed a few photos up on the Beacons as I doubt much else will change this side of christmas, plans for 2015; 16' Turini's, Coilovers and the possibility of Sparco R100's, also playing with the idea of dumping a 182 lump into it as I've already gone this far but that won't be till I finish uni.

20141114_121220_zps8b2ed31a.jpg

20141114_121201_zps4b48c227.jpg

20141114_121136_zps83755bdc.jpg

20141114_121302_zps340d42d6.jpg

20141114_121121_zps22a49449.jpg

Monaco
Love it. Will really confuse the average clio enthusiast at first glance. "Oh hey a Trophy. Wait that's no Trophy! It has it got a cup spoiler and no Recaros. Must be a resprayed 182". Those would be my thoughts anyway.

I also lost interest in my old non-sport. But it kept clawing me back in. Love it until it is financially feasible to change. You'll miss it when it's gone. I miss mine.

Love it. Will really confuse the average clio enthusiast at first glance. "Oh hey a Trophy. Wait that's no Trophy! It has it got a cup spoiler and no Recaros. Must be a resprayed 182". Those would be my thoughts anyway.

I also lost interest in my old non-sport. But it kept clawing me back in. Love it until it is financially feasible to change. You'll miss it when it's gone. I miss mine.
Thanks man, never really thought about it but perhaps I should put a trophy spoiler on the list for 2015 :up:

so it's been a while since i've posted anything on here, with the winter weather and not having a garage not much has changed

unfortunately on Tuesday night while driving in the snow the car decided to have a fight with a banking and lost, result = smashed front bumper
luckily found a replacement that night and went to pick it up Wednesday morning, stripped it down before taking it to the paintshop and had it back today (Friday) so so she's back to full health bar a skoda splitter that will be going back on over the weekend

also got a private plate just before christmas which is now on the car

did manage to grab a few photos in the snow before the accident
10913691_748493938583325_1982786341_n_zps8a29e838.jpg

Clio mk3
so it's been a while since i've posted anything on here, with the winter weather and not having a garage not much has changed

unfortunately on Tuesday night while driving in the snow the car decided to have a fight with a banking and lost, result = smashed front bumper
luckily found a replacement that night and went to pick it up Wednesday morning, stripped it down before taking it to the paintshop and had it back today (Friday) so so she's back to full health bar a skoda splitter that will be going back on over the weekend

also got a private plate just before christmas which is now on the car

did manage to grab a few photos in the snow before the accident
10913691_748493938583325_1982786341_n_zps8a29e838.jpg
I imagine the snow was bad up by you bud! Car still looks good though and nice to see you sorted it straight away! Selling my turinis soon,just thought I'd tell you as you asked me to let you know when I'm selling them:)

Yeah really bad up here the roads were like glass, gutted when it happened but couldn't be helped and just happy to see her whole again
Yeah I'm definitely still interested, PM me or drop me a text when you're taking them off with a price and if I can afford it at the time I'll have them
Cheers

Clio mk3
Yeah really bad up here the roads were like glass, gutted when it happened but couldn't be helped and just happy to see her whole again
Yeah I'm definitely still interested, PM me or drop me a text when you're taking them off with a price and if I can afford it at the time I'll have them
Cheers

I almost went into the back on a Audi,car was just sliding down hill just about stopped it!
Yea will do mate,it'll probably be in the next few weeks when I can afford to refurb the standard ones haha

I know what you mean, I basically had the option of putting the back into a railing or the front into a banking and a bumper is cheaper to repair than a rear quarter panel so it was the lesser of 2 evils
You gonna be selling the clio? I've been tempted to get rid of mine and start a mk1 mx5 project but I'm trying to hold off till I finish uni