ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rs2 style inlet?

Clio 172 phase 1
Any one on here made one/ know of some one who can? Seems its nover engineered like say fitting bodies has any one made say an aluminium style inlet that guy from aber g is pretty trick with welding perhaps he could make something similar? Can we discuss this possible alternative to a very rare rs2? / throttle bodies money to be made in this i reckon :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
James still supplies the RS2 but in batches due to the cost of getting the manifolds made.

That manifold seems to come up on ebay every couple of months at the moment.

There have been threads about this before and the consensus was that there isn't much money to be made. Narrow margin/low volume.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I got this one made and all the parts and work that went into it for me and focrs was huge. Would need to make quite a few to make it worth it and even then the margins would not be huge.

20140707_214125.jpg

20140508_153744.jpg

At least all the parts required have engineering drawings now so could be reproduced.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have you got any graphs for it?

Very easy to make something that looks similar dut doesnt work as well (not saying yours doesnt, just saying its a possibility)
Does it have internal trumpets like the RS2?

I made one myself for a williams engine, parts cost was well over 500 quid and then plenty of Tig welding and time on top of that, and still with compromises on shape which the RS2 doesnt have in the context of an aircon 172 engine.

Couple of pics of mine:
6fba027e.jpg

d28abad7.jpg

ee87dd2b.jpg

Personally I think the only real way to make a quality product that competes with the RS2 for resale at a signifanctly lower cost, would be a cast one, like I have on my honda engine that is going in the mk1 shell next:

246f8974.jpg

172 cup, Impreza P1
No graphs yet as its not been mapped yet. Hopefully soon!

I designed it to have the correct decrease in volume across the plenum to promote a consistant air supply to each cylinder. There are trumpets inside the plenum for each cylinder as well. The only compromise was the length of the runners but without removing the slam panel this was as long as I could go for. The port matching is perfect from head to trumpet as well for each joint.

IMG-20140304-00722.jpg

EastRenfrewshire-20140128-00691.jpg

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Designed for function more than form but anyway, all in the eyes of the beholder. Lol

Exactly! ;)

Might sound stupid now, but does the RS2 benefit from having a carbon intake meaning the temperatures won't be as warm as a metal plenum chamber?
Just thinking :)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Exactly! ;)

Might sound stupid now, but does the RS2 benefit from having a carbon intake meaning the temperatures won't be as warm as a metal plenum chamber?
Just thinking :)

Heat absorption will be higher with metal but as its at the front of the engine in direct airflow, heat won't be an issue.

Also, an RS2 wouldn't be any use for me as mine is for a turbo build so needs to cope with boost.

Clio 172 phase 1
Hmm Impressed with these results! If it gave a true gain of 10-15 boho it would be worth £800 all day long as that's what cams go by ( roughly )so that a set of cams and a map to see close to 200bhp for 1600 on this car isn't too bad atall ...... I only ask as personally I like the look of a polished Ali inlet more than the carbon and over the next 4 months I'd like to get an rs2 and cam and map my car I'd love bodies but I can't see that for nearly 3k I wouldn't be just as happy with the results of the rs2 ..... Keep,posting see what people are building....l the decrease is airflow is certainly a hard one to calculate and I'm really impressed with that inlet :) ......... Maybe some one will fancy making a few whose in the trade

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I got this one made and all the parts and work that went into it for me and focrs was huge. Would need to make quite a few to make it worth it and even then the margins would not be huge.

20140707_214125.jpg

20140508_153744.jpg

At least all the parts required have engineering drawings now so could be reproduced.
Looks like the dipstick is more accessible on this one. .

TERNC 197
[QU OTE=focrs;10381919]I may one for sale in next few weeks if I get a chance to finish it.[/QUOTE]

I'll snap up the one your due to finish, pm me a price dude