ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Gearboxs.............who's had problems

Clio 182
i have had 2 clio's recently , schweppy's which crunched in 3rd gear when changing and mine which now crunches in 3rd after a track day i done , 3rd gear seems to be the most common problem
Yup, I have same problem. :S Crunches in 3rd gear at high revs. :dapprove:

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Mine's on 108k.. no crunching or anything gone wrong. Probably shouldn't have said that though...!

Peugeot 308
79k Ph1 gbox - no problems, Clutch was done in the last 1k though,,,,dumb blonde b**ch naffed it previously....

91k original box.

In dangerous territory of it going bang though. Thought is always in the back of my mind!

Tav

Clio 197
3rd gear was an issue for me with the soft engine mounts at full throttle. New engine mounts have resolved that issue though.

Ph2 Clio 172+R21Turbo4x4
see i dont get the 3rd gear crunch, i get that in 2nd at high revs but 3rd feels like a dream :)
I have my car,172 02 reg from year and a half and now I'm on third JC5 130 gear box.
I also have prodlem with a second rather than third gear.
My original box lasts 100k, but blew the diff.

Coupe/Defender V8
sequential is latin for slow....... ok it's not really but they really don't like to be rushed

smooth changes are key otherwise they don't last very long I reckon.

Diff is common - too many first gear rapes

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
53k miles, 2-3k with Gripper diff fitted.....90% trackday mileage as thats all its used for.

3rd gear crunches when going in from 2nd or 4th when cold - fine when hot.

Box rattles like a b**ch at idle - until you depress the clutch, could be release bearing but I'm not thinking so especially as its only a couple of thousand miles old!!

Not the strongest of boxes especially when used hard.

Megane 250
hi, mines got 95k and the bearings exploded is in for repair for a rebuid costing £550 normally the diffs go on them and blow a hole in the bellhousing

TVR Cerbera
88k cup gearbox, quick shift, itbs, trackdays, santa pod etc. been abused for last 5 years/50k miles and last 3 years/20k miles with mods.

Mild diff whine, and doesn't like being rushed too much, but fine apart from that

Clio 172 Cup
I've had 3 on my 172 cup and a 4th could be on the card next week. 1st one had a manufacturers fault, 2nd one was faulty again with bearings chewed up so i had that one replaced on warranty. This 3rd one i'm not sure about until it comes out next week. My car has 63000 miles on it. just seems to love a box haha

Renaultsport clio 200 cup
i have to join the list with the 200 needing a new gear box. crunching started in 4th an took it to renault an told the bad news. only 7000 miles done but good news is its done through warranty.

Clio 172 Phase II
crikey. Stumbled upon this thread. Interesting stuff. Mine crunches into third when going up unless I take it really easy and let the revs drop to below 3K or something. It's annoying but I can just about live with it. I think its the original box. I'm on 100K miles. I always match revs when down-shifting.

172 cup
2 years of hard driving and a couple of tack days and no issues what so ever

Heeling and toeing, and matching revs when going down a couple of gears to over take etc may be to thank for this though

2004 182FF
For what its worth...

2004 Clio 182... 90,000 miles... original clutch and no gearbox issues.

3 boring owners with long commutes will do that... got a feeling I haven't got long on the clutch though as I've been doing too much round town (London :( ) driving recently.

Clio 172
My box had a slight crunch changing up to 3rd, oil change cured it but there is a leak. Wheres it likely to leak from?

V70 d5 beast
mine crunches going into 3rd at high revs but will go in once revs drop a bit,
only seemed to happen when i changed the oil lol
the old was black as anything, couldn't see any bits coming out,
has got the ktr solid top mount and the dog bone mount is ok no tears, will be puttin powerflex in there soon enough

oh and yes i used the corect elf oil from renault and is on 61k
planning on removing soon and replacing the 3rd gear,synchro,hub
hopefully will be all ok :)