ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS 200 for everyday use, CUP or Not?

Clio 172 & Toyota Verso
This my first post.

Own a 52 plate Standard 172 for over 2 years, and its been great.

But the time has come for a new RS 200, I've set my heart on it.
Can't afford the Megane 250

I drive around 15K miles a year Business & Pleasure, no track days planned.

Question - Do I really need the CUP chassis?

Read conflicting reports on which way to go, and I'm 43 so not a kid anymore.

Driven the 200 CUP and loved it, but would I be better off with the normal Chassis for everyday? Am I better spending the 400 quid on other upgrades?

Renaultsport Clio 200
I had the same question on my mind for quite a while, I test drove the CUP chassis but ordered the standard chassis, I'm 40 I have no intention of doing track days and with the frankly quite crap condition of the roads I dont need to be jolted around so for me it was the obvious choice (I used the £400 for other comforts).

I'm sure alot will tell you the CUP is the only way to go, but I dont miss a cup chassis as I dont do the driving that will need it (up and down the M5 twice a day isn't really what the CUP excels at)

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You need recaros and black speedlines.

Anything else is a bonus.

Nissan 350z
If I was going to buy a secondhand one, I wouldn't get one without the cup chassis, so I would think about the resale too.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Tbh the Cup chassis isnt that hard to live with every day. We have a proper Cup (Not this FF + Cup chassis nonsence) and have found it very easy to live with.

Not only do you get the stiffer suspension, you get a quicker steering rack and sexy red brembo calipers (I know its an easy DIY afterwards but hey).

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Re-sale is the key with Cup chassis tbh.

Also, every test drive I do, people expect the Cup set-up to be a lot stiffer than it atually is. (all ages of drivers)

As an indication, I've not sold a 200 without the Cup chassis.

If you have looked at prices, I wouldn't mind the oppertunity to quote by the way;)

(Crawley Down Renault nr Gatwick)

Rich

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I had this problem because my old polo was extremely stiff so I did a compromise, cup chasiss with standard seats, the recaros + cup chasiss is bone breaking lol

Even though I'm after recaros now but only because I want to get into track days

Clio 172 & Toyota Verso
Thanks all

Resale is not a problem, I'm going down the Contract Hire route over 3 years and claim the mileage from the Company.

Black Speedlines, now theres a thought. Look good with Blue or Red?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't matter what colour you buy, make sure it has speedlines.

Get Alien Green, hero colour.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Thanks all

Resale is not a problem, I'm going down the Contract Hire route over 3 years and claim the mileage from the Company.

Black Speedlines, now theres a thought. Look good with Blue or Red?

Red 200 with blak speedlines is an awesome combo, I've got a black 200 with black speedlines but I would love a red one, looks amazing clean

Last edited:
  Turbo LY R27
I had this problem because my old polo was extremely stiff so I did a compromise, cup chasiss with standard seats, the recaros + cup chasiss is bone breaking lol

Even though I'm after recaros now but only because I want to get into track days

the recaro's are proper compfy!!

Test drive them mate, best way to find out for yourself.

But i would say cup chassis

PS 200
Depends on the roads you'll be using mostly.

The wife finds the Non-cup non-recaro ride on my 200 a tad harsh so I'm guessing she'd hate the cup chassis.

Save your £400 for some fuel :eek:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The steering wheel on a cup is enough to put me off buying one. Nasty skinny piece of shite.

GTD, Lupo
As said before its pretty simple, just take one for a drive and see what suits you better.

I have a Cup and can hand on heart say its not too bad. Things get a little choppie for people in the back on very bad roads but the dampers are very good. As for the stupid coments about recaros and cup pack, same old rubbish from people who were too tight to spend a little extra cash. ;) and now regret it but make stuff up to convince themselves they done the right thing. :rasp:

Imo i would say get the cup pack. A number of reason as i think you will also regret not doing so and then in future threads try to convinve everyone else why you didnt to make you feel better. Plus reselling the car will be far easier as the clio sport is aimed at a very small market and most in that market will all want the following:

Cup Pack/Cup
Speedlines
Recaros
A/c ;)

Well not all AC but most people looking to pick a 200 up second hand in 2-3 years will want most of, if not all the above.

Gorms

PS 200
As for the stupid coments about recaros and cup pack, same old rubbish from people who were too tight to spend a little extra cash. ;) and now regret it but make stuff up to convince themselves they done the right thing. :rasp:
Renault are obviously aware that fools and their wad are easily parted.

£1,500 to remove two perfectly good seats, 4 perfectly good wheels, replace 1 perfectly good chassis and replace a perfectly good car with a great car suited to smooth tracks but not any sort of road where you can test the aforementioned aspects ;):rasp:

But as Gorms correctly stated if you're worried about stuff like that test drive a non cup on some bumpy roads :).

Or if you don't live in the UK - get a cup chassis.

BTW I'm 45 - Gorms is probably 19 and wont have any fat friends who wont fit in a recaro ;)

The Cup pack is really pony for passangers but its going to be you car. When ever i let my bro or someone at work drive it you notice how bumpy it is however that is all part of the cars charm.

Clio 172 & Toyota Verso
Will be on my own most of the time, I've the wheel to grab onto.

Wife & kids can make do with the family car.

GTD, Lupo
BTW I'm 45 - Gorms is probably 19 and wont have any fat friends who wont fit in a recaro ;)

Wish i was 19 again :(, mind you i did have a big fat kid in the car the other day and he still fitted.

Just dont do anything you will regret once the car is ordered. I still kinda wish i had gone full fat as i like the black headlights but i will just wait for some one to get rammed up the ar... a lot cheaper.

Gorms

Clio 1970000000
The non-cup 200 is softer than the non-cup 197 so I would be tempted to get the cup chassis. Passengers will hate it though.

I bought a non-cup 197 and find that the chassis is plenty good enough for all my driving needs. I'm 42 FTMFW so wife and kids spend some time in the car :dapprove:.

AG 200
The Mrs moans about anything but she doesnt complain about the Cup Chassis in the 200 during everyday use. Sure if you hammer it into a pot hole then it will shake your brains out but to be honest due to the dampers it actually feels smoother on the road than my non cupped 197.
If you dont spec the 200 with the cup chassis then I dont think you would miss it. If you had the 200 with cup chassis and then drove the standard 200 then I think the difference would be noted. Ive had a couple of 197/Trophy drivers have a go in my 200 and they said the cup chassis is the only way to go , much quicker steering rack too.

I just had my traction done, whilst i was at it he gave me a quote for some new tyres,,,£200 a corner...

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I just had my traction done, whilst i was at it he gave me a quote for some new tyres,,,£200 a corner...

yeh qwik fit wanted 190 quid a tyre

ask around and u can pick them up for 100 quid, i just got front 2 replaced and it cost me 98 quid a corner

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Tbh the Cup chassis isnt that hard to live with every day. We have a proper Cup (Not this FF + Cup chassis nonsence) and have found it very easy to live with.

Not only do you get the stiffer suspension, you get a quicker steering rack and sexy red brembo calipers (I know its an easy DIY afterwards but hey).

I agree with n0ddie.

I have driven solid for 9 hours, 700 miles on motorways in my Cup and no issues at all, anyone that says otherwise probably wishes they'd bought Cup chassis ;)

PS - I'm 36 and never noticed any lack of comfort. The Recaros def help.

PS 200
I agree with n0ddie.

I have driven solid for 9 hours, 700 miles on motorways in my Cup and no issues at all, anyone that says otherwise probably wishes they'd bought Cup chassis ;)

PS - I'm 36 and never noticed any lack of comfort. The Recaros def help.
You could drive a F1 car on most motorways without too many troubles from an over stiff chassis - What's it like on your average pish UK road ?

I've a 200 FF w/cup chassis and I reckon it's far more useable than my old 182 Trophy. A lot of that could be do with the extra refinement of the mk3 Clio but I still reckon it's true about the ride as well. I had the same concern as OP and went cup - partly for resale as others have said - but also because it seemed like the icing on the cake.

It's hard as hell on a rough road though. My inlaws live in B-road country and it's probably slower than my wife's 1.2 on some of the really bad roads. In general though, unless you're driving on really poor roads you'll be good. Even the minor contraflow A roads round me bring out the best in it.

The Recaros are awesome and well worth the cash.

If I was buying again, I'd go without cup chassis as the car is used in such a way I'd rather have the better ride cxomfort.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Bloody hell, I said I was 36 above which added a year on my age.... Must be senility kicking in already :eek:

In answer to Jasey, A & B roads absolutely no problems, Cup chassis is great for anything that's not a pot holed ridden country lane IMO :)

Coupe/Defender V8
I cant comment on a clio but can say that my Twingo with Cup chassis is fine and I use that every day. I would assume it will be a bit more raw then the clio too as it's more basic.

Clio 200
mine is a daily commuter with cup chassis and no issues with it at all.

A/B roads every day pothole ridden etc and I can't complain about it

Last edited:
  197 Sport
Its only £400 odd quid, pointless not speccing it, if only for the red brembos. I have it on my 200, and previous 197, wouldnt be without it, even gives you more confidence on the twisties.

Was a 197
As above, just spec it then you get a bit more creature comfort.

Recaros arent a must tbh, i've been flung around in both seats and i found the standard ones the comfiest for that. The standard seats are really comfy, no more numb bum!!!

Last edited:
  clio 200 /08 subaru
i am 55 and my wife is 52 we both drive the 200 rs with cup suspension ,the best 400 quid i have ever spent the handling is terrific . i own a 325 bhp 08sti hatch which has whiteline goodies on her
we both like the rs better. i sell suspension and fit it also for scoobies
the cup pack is the best + recaros
DSCF3249.jpg

DSCF3233.jpg

DSCF3210.jpg

cheers geo

Megane 230 F1
DSCF3249.jpg

cheers geo

Can I get this used/ex-Demo?! It looks just the balls.

I've started that train of thought that's switching my 182 non-Cup for a used/ex-Demo 200 FF w/ CUP. There seems to be a few around already but none have the Cup Spoiler.

So - Can the Cup spoiler be easily added afterwards (I did see it's an accessory on the RS site) and just as importantly, can the bluetooth stereo be retro-fitted if there's already a standard in there?