ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rome Photoset

Focus ST-3
I have just got back from my birthday trip to Rome and have gone through a few of the pictures I took. I have only owned a camera for about 4 months, and in that 4 months I think I have used it about twice!! Bad I know but I just haven't had the time or opportunity to use it!

I bought a Sigma 10-20mm just before I left as I knew it would come in handy over there and to be honest, it never left my camera except for one shot when I was at the top of the Cupola at St. Peters. I found the Sigma amazing and was so glad I bought it in time for my trip! I wish I had taken my camera out more at night but because it was a trip with the Mrs I didnt want to spend the whole time taking pictures so I had to limit myself in a way! And the amount of people everywhere didn't help! constantly pushing and walking in front of you!

Anyway, here are some of the pictures I took... Remember I have never really done photography before and these are the first pictures I have posted pretty much, so constructive criticism would be helpful! I also didn't have a tripod which didn't help, and inside the vatican and St. Peters they got a bit arsey about the flash so I couldnt use it.

8667324199_efb7208235_z.jpg

Colosseum at night by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667325645_dbeb9c730f_z.jpg

Trevi at night by Grieve14, on Flickr

8668433104_79f06c0435_z.jpg

back street by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667331639_796f32821d_z.jpg

Tiber by Grieve14, on Flickr

8668437846_7028174514_z.jpg

Sant'Angelo by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667342561_11f8430b75_z.jpg

St. Peters by Grieve14, on Flickr

8668460344_8d45fc7407_z.jpg

Dome in Rome by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667358283_ef92bae9eb_z.jpg

Roman Forum by Grieve14, on Flickr

8668467188_fa09673a86_z.jpg

Colosseum by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667365587_6f5edc8413_z.jpg

Colosseum 1 by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667368541_f920d8f0c6_z.jpg

Colosseum 2 by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667370209_88d74e5c78_z.jpg

Nun Nun by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667372675_26b1516f0c_z.jpg

Big Ball by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667360467_169482b897_z.jpg

Flower by Grieve14, on Flickr

8667350837_e74968e433_z.jpg

Queue by Grieve14, on Flickr

I'm not sure if I prefer the next shot in colour or black & white so I have both...

8668448838_284c24f6ea_z.jpg

St Peters Square (BW) by Grieve14, on Flickr

8668451626_cc1c87f3c8_z.jpg

St Peters Square by Grieve14, on Flickr

They aren't that great I know, but hopefully if I keep at it I will learn things along the way. I have already seen things I would do differently if i could do it again, such as composition and my placement, and lowering the ISO on the night time shots (and taking a tripod!!!)

Focus ST-3
great pics, is the lower part of the colisseum the foundation (so the floor has eroded/been removed) or was that part of the arena?
From my understanding there was a floor on top and that was a kind of basement/dungeon part. I don't know for sure though, we didnt do the tour as they took so long and we only had 4 days there and there was so much to see!!

Focus ST-3
Thanks for all the good comments! Wasn't really expecting that tbh.

Ben - yes I would definitely recommend going. There is so much to see and do its amazing. We did 4 days, 3 nights and could have probably done more if we had wanted. Every corner you turn there is something to see. It's bloody expensive though, I paid 9 euros for half a pint in one place and a nice meal and wine was over 150 euros. Well worth a visit though.

clio 182 black /gold
Cracking piccys. It has brought back some good memories. :D. How did u get so high up at the vactican?

Focus ST-3
Cracking piccys. It has brought back some good memories. :D. How did u get so high up at the vactican?

We went up the cupola, the dome on top of St. Peter's, the view was incredible. Was hard work getting there though, it was about 28 degrees, 550 odd steps wearing trousers and carrying a camera bag!! The stairwells are really narrow and lean at an angle so you can even stand straight!!

Those bring back some fond memories. With the exception of "flower", there's not one of those sites I didn't visit.

Lovely set man, makes me wish I had an SLR back then.

Did you try and move the sphere inside Vatican City?

Focus ST-3
Thanks everyone!

Tom - What do you mean try and move the sphere? is that something you are allowed to do??! It had a chain fence round it so I couldn't get near it! I did however attempt a sneaky shot inside the Sistine Chapel only to get some very dodgey looks when the flash went off and then not get a decent shot anyway!

Tom - What do you mean try and move the sphere? is that something you are allowed to do??! It had a chain fence round it so I couldn't get near it! I did however attempt a sneaky shot inside the Sistine Chapel only to get some very dodgey looks when the flash went off and then not get a decent shot anyway!
When I went in 2008, you could walk up to it and turn it on its axis without it leaving the spot. It's supposed to be perpetual or something like that.

Haha, I didn't even dare. It was so busy!!! I saw a few folk with cameras though.

Focus ST-3
When I went in 2008, you could walk up to it and turn it on its axis without it leaving the spot. It's supposed to be perpetual or something like that.

Haha, I didn't even dare. It was so busy!!! I saw a few folk with cameras though.

ah right, I didn't see anyone go near it, so not sure if they have stopped people doing it now? I feel like I have missed out though now!! haha!

Nimbus Megane R26
iv got the exact same photos haha good at the top of the Vatican isn't it! Those stairs get bad near the top though don't they, when they get slanted etc! I paid 12 euro for a bottle of peroni at the bar near our hotel, deffo not cheap!

E46 M3
I did however attempt a sneaky shot inside the Sistine Chapel only to get some very dodgey looks when the flash went off and then not get a decent shot anyway!

I got chased out the Sistine chapel by the security guard for trying to take a photo!