ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rolling Road mapping

Clio 200
Hi,
Is RS Tuning the only place that does mapping on a RR? Well only place with a consistently good reputation I should add :)
Looking to get a 200 mapped, but I want somewhere do a do a custom map on the rollers, ideally down south.
I've seen Mike mentioned a few times but it's not clear if he uses Surrey RR to just do a power run or to map on?

Also the OE ECU, am I right in thinking it is not mapped in the same way a standalone is, i.e the OE ECU is a series of power runs and adjusted reflashes vs a standalone where you properly live map and hold the engine at different load and rpm sites whilst adjusting live fuel and ignition values.

Not sure if I should find someone to make a p'n'p harness for a standalone or go with OE mapping really,
Cheers.

Can I ask why it HAS to be on the rollers? You can road map perfectly well with a good datalogging system, and that way you also Map for the air flow and load the car actually sees during driving. I road map all of mine and never had any issues.

Clio 200
I've only ever had standalones mapped, I've had one place map on the road and the other place where I've used ever since mapped on the rollers. I know it's not apples vs apples because I used a different mapper but the rr maps were much better. Maybe because you can properly live map a standalone this is why it was much better, but to really nail the ignition map you need to be able to hold the load and rpm sites while you use the pot to tune etc. How exactly are you going to do ignition on the road, make a series of changes then drive about, monitor for knock and then add or remove etc, just doesnt seem that thorough to me??
Fueling less of an issue I guess, I would imagine you can get that pretty good on the road with a wideband and adaption tables etc.

Thats just my thoughts anyway, happy to be corrected.

Cheers

In an ideal world you would do lots of both types of mapping, and in as many different climates as possible, but in a realistic world where time is money we all have to compromise. Rolling roads are particularly good for chasing down every last bhp, road mapping is particularly good for getting the car to drive nicely and to fuel correctly in real world transient throttle conditions pottering around in traffic or banging the throttle open on the motorway etc. So I normally do both wherever possible, in the case of a fairly standard F4R I have had enough on the rollers to already know to within a degree or two of what the ignition requirements will be, and these engines arent particularly ignition responsive anyway so even if you can safely squeeze in an extra degree it is unlikely to yield much if any more power. You cant map a car properly for less than a few hundred grand is the reality, you need thousands of hours of testing and you need climatic chambers etc to get it perfect for all conditions, all any map that is going to be done on a modified road car EVER is, is a reasonable fit based on the conditions on the day not a perfect map for all conditions

I'm mapping a throttle bodied car on a stock ecu at the moment, and the fuelling is perfect on a rolling road, but getting the transient fuelling right on it was great. took it out on the road and it was awful when accelerating from a low RPM. Few hours later and its ALOT better but it still needs work.

Clio 200
Yeah I appreciate a fine tune on the road makes sense, I seem to remeber the mappers adjusting throttle pump tables or some such, but it was years ago now.
I've got some time before I need the map doing so will research further.
Cheers.