ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rick's Rather boring 172

Mk2 172
Hi All,

Thought i'd put a thread up. This is my First foray into French cars, having been mostly a Vauxhall person before.

My commuting car a really tidy Almera 1.8 SXE (fully loaded with sat nav etc..) got written off by someone pulling out so after looking at various things, i ended up test driving, loving and buying a 80k mile 2004 172 for £1700

First things first, was to take it to get a Full 4 wheel alignment at http://www.allcartyres.com/ who have a hunter machine.

I also got a pair of Pilot Sport 3 tyres fitted on the front.

Then as I don't particularly know too much about 172's i took it to Dryclough Lane Garage in Halifax

They went round the car and did me a full report on anything that needed sorting with it.

So i've got a list of things to do to it to bring it up to a standard I'd like. Once that's done it's going on the track. It's all fairly standard stuff which comes with Age, such as brake pipes, exhaust hangers etc..

I've also bought some standard back lights for it from the for sale section. (Hate lexus style lights with a passion)

Future plans are an RStuning remap, Cams and Some Anthracite Turinis. Keeping it "fairly" standard for the time being as I commute in it and have two Children

IMG_2669.jpg
IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

RB 182
I know Allcar well, however I've never known why people go for 4 wheel alignment on a car with a solid rear axle? Whenever I take a car to get tracked there, I just go for the £25 front track

Good call on the rear lights, maybe see it around as I'm local

Mk2 172
To be honest I didn't know much about the car setup, just wanted to make sure it was all OK. I didn't know they had a 2 wheel option either lol

Mk2 172
So far I've had the Reverse switch replaced as I had no reverse lights, and the gear box oil was changed at the same time.

Today,I've been to Maxteds Garage It's had two new front disks and pads, one of the front calipers was binding slightly so that was sanded and greased up the slider, now fine.

Replaced the NSR caliper as it was knackered
Replaced the rear exhaust mount. Had a problem with this one, as the middle bolt wouldn't come out due to the captive nut coming loose. The angle grinder came out for that one.
It's only held in with Two bolts now, until we can decide what to do about replacing the third bolt.

Then I've had a rattling at 3500rpm which turned out to be the Manifold to cat spring bolts. One side needed replacing, and of course it was rounded before they started. After a lot of swearing and hassle, the airsaw came out and they ended up cutting the bolt off.

So, productive day. Next on the list is a Proper Stainless cat back exhaust, as the one thats on looks like a crap powerflow job.

Probably going to look at the BTB one I think.
20140531_141349.jpg

20140531_135110.jpg

Last edited:
  Mk2 172
As it's warm, I decided to get something done about the lack of Cold Air through the Climate Control.

Took it down to Adrian Beck in Shipley this morning. Expected the worst when i came to pick it up, but all it needed was a re-gas and it now fires out freezing cold air!
Result.
REally expected to have to pay for a new compressor.

I've also given in and decided to get some paintwork done on all the scratches and marks on the car, so whilst i go on holiday in august it will be getting a bit of TLC at the bodyshop.

Unfortunately, when my replacement rear lights arrived one was damaged so haven't managed to replace them yet. Haven't got any money back either! which has annoyed me.

Mk2 172
A little update
Finally managed to sort some rear lights out, so it looks 100% less chav. Thank god.

Also, now running the 98 ron map. Properly different now. I sort of miss the 5k kick. It does pull from 3.5k now, but i have caught myself looking down at the speedo to see why it's still pulling, at what feels like 9k rpm, as I'm used to only 5-7k usable on a blast, not 3.5 -7k

Next on the list is a full refresh of engine mounts....
Then it's track time, followed by i think the recessed janspeed Exhaust, as I think it looks the business. Still debating over a Sports cat though....