ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Revs hunting all over the shop, up to 3k RPM... help!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi drove home from work and everything was fine... just gone to pick the missus up and I knew straight away the car wasn't running right, felt lumpy. The first time I came to a stop I noticed the revs going up to around 2k RPM but jumping up and down around that point. At one point it got to 3k RPM and wouldn't come down until I started driving off.

Turned the car off and left it for ten minutes and tried again and it was slightly better but still doing it around the 1.5-2k RPM mark.

Ran a diagnostic off a crappy eBay job thing I have and it came up with no codes.

Annoyed as I'm meant to be spending the weekend in Nottingham (a fair distance from Southend!) and it's currently looking like I'm not gonna make it :mad:

I'm gonna drop the Clio off at the garage up the road tomorrow but would really appreciate a heads up on what to expect... cheers guys.

b/g 182, meg tourer
could be throttle sensor.
mine did pretty much what you described and it was the throttle sensor (on the pedal). new throttle pedal unit was about £60 from renault.
are you getting warning lights on your dash?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm not no... did you?

I know you said it's related to the pedal but where actually is it? Near the pedal? Wondering if it was something I could fit myself...

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay, what car is it firstly and secondly it sounds like an air leak to me but here's something to try.

Engine on and running > Does the engine speed increase when you touch the pedal still? (Yes/No)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Okay the car's at the garage now... but to update this thread anyway, car is a 182 as stated underneath my username :) and yes, the revs rise when the pedal is pressed!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm on Tappatalk so can't easily see your profike info. Its always best you tell us what you have as when we assume you have a sport it oftern turns out you have a 1.2 16v.

Deffo not a throttle pedal or throttle body issue then if its responding to movement and most likely an air leak... been playing with map sensors or air pipes lately? Could be a simple school boy error

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
No Mick I haven't been playing with anything under the bonnet!

Well, this is a strange one. Collected it from garage this afternoon... mechanic said he plugged in his diagnostic tool and straight away the revs dropped to normal running without him even running the software. He did so anyway and it came back with no faults. Three times throughout the day he ran it around the block and couldn't get it to go wrong again! I took it for my own test drive and it was perfect!?

He looked for leaks but couldn't find anything.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Small update... car's been fine for a couple of days now but just drove to work and when bringing the car to a stop a couple of times the revs have dropped to about 600 RPM and it's felt like it could stall, but hasn't. Does that help the diagnoses at all?!

172 Cup
Agreed, sounds like an air leak.
Can be tricky to sort as rubber hoses will soften as the engine warms up so more likely to leak when cold I think?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Such bad timing for me as I have that long drive tonight at 16:00 I hope I get through it okay. I might be able to have a quick look though, any ideas where the main places are that a leak might be? Even though, my mechanic said he couldn't find any.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The usual places are breather pipes and manifold joints but it could also be a sensor seal or something else... until someone that knows what theyre doing starts looking (or you smoke test the inlet track) it's anyones guess.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Over the weekend I drove about 500 miles and not for a second did I get a glitch... so strange! But it seems to have fixed itself :boring: