ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Restoring lost horsepower with a damn good service

Fabia vRS
When I come to service my 172 in a couple of months I'm thinking of doing things a little differently. Until now my 172's engine has always been serviced with bog standard replacements, e.g oil, oil filter, airfilter, sparkplugs. The belts have been done at the prescribed intervals. I've never dyno tested my car but I do wonder how down it may be on the spec 169bhp after 9 years. What steps can I take to restore horses that have been lost over these years? Short of a complete engine rebuild I've compiled a list:

- Clean airbox
- ITG panel filter
- Clean throttle body
- Clean interior of intake plenum
- Clean lower intake manifold
- Ultrasonic injector cleaning or replacement
- Fuel treatment/ Redex stuff?

Your comments would be much appreciated. Please feel free to tell me I will be wasting my money with any of these ideas :eek:

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
Change fuel filter too. Use an oe filter. Pollen filter? The injectors are a moot point. Some years ago I was always getting them done for customers. Now, with petrol being better, at least Shell / BP/ Texaco etc there is not so much call. However, if you get any stuttering or poor idle it may be worth getting them done. Don't buy new as they are often not too clever! Otherwise sounds good. Clean the breathers too. And flush the engine. Keep off the supermarket petrol and it will be great. Change the gearbox oil and the brake fluid if you really want to go to town.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i had the wrong plugs fitted in mine by the guy who owned the car before me, fred whacked in 4 of the proper ones in when doing my belts and i noticed a marked improvement in both MPG and engine response on the drive back up to manc.

but then again you've probably got the right ones in already so irrelevant to you!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
people often use bosch super 4's, terrible!! i had to stick a set in my car once as i had a plug go and i was in france! ran terrible!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
don't think the ones in mine were even those! the receipt says £9.60 for all 4!

Lionel Richie
i had the wrong plugs fitted in mine by the guy who owned the car before me, fred whacked in 4 of the proper ones in when doing my belts and i noticed a marked improvement in both MPG and engine response on the drive back up to manc.

but then again you've probably got the right ones in already so irrelevant to you!

that was mainly down to you cam timing being a mile out ;)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
that was mainly down to you cam timing being a mile out ;)

ah right. thats also a good point yes! it definitely feels better though. I took it for a quick blast tonight seeing as i won't be using it for a while! think that btm sticker has given it an extra 5 bhp too!

Fabia vRS
What would people recommend for cleaning the inside of the plenum and manifold? Any special solvents or just good old fashioned elbow grease?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Can't see the point TBH. Might want to wipe up the gunk that collects at the bottom of the butterfly but other than that, there'll be nothing worth cleaning in the inlet manifold. Any idea how fast air is moving through there ? :rasp: