ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Respray options - prices.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I know this isn't for a Clio, so mods feel free to move to other marques etc if needed.

Right, Integra is having a full exterior respray (same colour so no comments on changing please!) Roof + Bootlid are faded, Spoiler was bubbled, Rear 3/4's faded, and to add to that some kind woman scuffed my rear bumper, so replaced that now. Fricking cars!!

So decided a full spray was the only way forward so the whole car matches; but need some advice/help on the quotes I have got so far please.....

This is with me providing the new badges and stickers if it makes a difference?

1. Decent garage with a bodyshop attached, guy was proper enthusiastic about the car and seemed like he genuinely wanted to work on it. He quoted me 850 + VAT for the full job, said it would be perfect, and before I take the car he would set it up with halogen lights for me to go over, if I didnt think it was perfect he would sort it. I thought a little on the cheap side, but seen a few cars he has done but not upclose and they look good.

2. Well established Bodyshop in Derby, had small bits done by them and it has always been perfect. They are always doing Aston's, Porsches etc which gives me faith, bloke is proper down to earth. Price is 1800 all in.

3. Not heard much about this place, but seems pretty proffesional and genuine. Didnt get chance to see any cars they were currently doing unfortunately. He quoted me about 2400 inc VAT!!! Apparently his job will be 2.5 times the quality and finish of the others, but seriously, could it be?!

4. Place run by 2 Polish lads, guy was impressed with the car etc, said 1000-1500 depending on how awesome I wanted it. He was working on his E36 BMW that he had dropped an M3 engine into and resprayed and smoothed, work was horrendous! Orange peeled like anything, and that was obvious in a dull workshop!!

5. Well established place very close to me, it was full of new-newish cars all looking gleaming. Big premises, clean and tidy. Bloke asked me if I was paying cash, said yes! For a full respray, aerial hole welded over to smooth it, rear 3/4 windows out and the seals sorted properly (looking very shabby) he said it would be perfect, quoted 700. I said that seems DIRT cheap, his reply being that it would take about 2 weeks as it will be an infil job etc to keep them busy, and with it not going through the books etc he can do it at that price.

6. Place run by 2 young lads, shop looked nice but didnt trust them at all for some reason, quoted 1000.

Which would you go for?!
For me it is between 1, 2 and 5, part of me is swaying towards 1 purely because he seemed so enthusiastic and happy to do a really good job. 2. because I know the quality is excellent (they rent the building from my Dad too so although no discount he will do it right) and 5 because it seems legit (even though it isn't!).

Views/opinions please :)

Last edited:
I'd personally be swaying towards 2, you've already been there and know the work they produce is good and you're happy with it. It may be a little more costly than a couple of the others, but I say it time and time again you really do get what you pay for with bodyshops. As for asking about number 3, that is closer to the price you'd pay in the bodyshop I work in, the last respray we did - on an F reg 911 convertible - was a tad over £2k and that was same colour.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Just updated price for number 2, 1800 all in, ouch!

I know what you mean about getting what you pay for etc, but how do they come to that figure (not being sarcastic etc) as the place was no bigger than the others etc, how can they expect that much money?!
Especially from someone off the street and not an insurance company.

Just updated price for number 2, 1800 all in, ouch!

I know what you mean about getting what you pay for etc, but how do they come to that figure (not being sarcastic etc) as the place was no bigger than the others etc, how can they expect that much money?!
Especially from someone off the street and not an insurance company.

There's lots of variables which can determine the price. Obviously different bodyshops have different rates of labour, some use cheaper or more expensive materials than others, use cheaper or more expensive paints/lacquers etc etc. We are also a small place, but we have a good reputation so don't need to try to beat any other prices to get work as we get plenty from our reputation/recommendations from other garages, and this might be the case with number 3. Don't forget aswell, some places will give you an inflated quote purely because they don't want the work.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
quality is obviuosly the biggest issue concerned and for that reason 'number 2' is probably so confident in their work and is better than others and has a reputation!!
with regards to number 4, they will change the price according to the quality??? every job should be the same (good) and prices should not change for quality so they shouldnt even be trading imo.
its either 1 or 2 but if you arent desperate then maybe '5'

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My only word of advice is to go with either mates of mates or recomendations.

All this b****cks about 'my job will be excellent' is tosh. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Or summat.

Punto/Clio GTT
yeah

its between 1 or 2

so ultimatly its either pay £850 or pay £1800

£850 seems a normal price. £1800 for just an outside respray is overpriced.

At my old garage we done full resprays for £600 which were good quality

just go look at the work, ask to see something thats just been painted freshly out the oven, usually gives a good idea of how good the painters are.

i could take a complete pile of s**t paintjob and with enough wetsanding and polishing turn it into an A1 job.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
1. is basically 1k including VAT.

Thing is I don't want to end up regretting not spending more, but don't want to spend more when it is un-neccessary.

Think I'll call back at 1. tomorrow after work, run through it all with the guy again exactly what I want, and tell him I want the car 100% perfect, and if it isn't then I won;t be paying for it, if that suits him then should be onto a winner I guess.

Punto/Clio GTT
#5 looks decent too tbh

id just go and ask to see work on 1 and 5, whichever looks best, go with that. and if its more expensive than the other, say youve been quoted £x at x garage, can he match it or beat it and the works theirs

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ Good point I guess, might call down tomorrow.

5 did show me some of their work, but it was on a 58 megane, and to be honest I wouldnt know if it was factory paint or new paint!

Nissan 350z

While your at it ask how much for 2 alloys to be referbed in their original colour. Damn kerbing! :mad:

Cheers

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
James, alloys are 40 + VAT.
If you want them doing might be able to tag it onto the order.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
id go for 5 but then again i havnt seen any the list aboves work!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Went to 1 today, kinda sorted it all out with him. Although he had no work to show me as an example, but agreed I wouldnt pay for the car until I was happy with the job.

But, I really want 2. to do it for me, just a shame they are so expensive :(

Need to get another quote for tomorrow, where my mate had some work done and he reccomends them so I'll see what they say.
This is so annoying!

Nissan 350z
Worth spending the time shopping around though. Isnt really something you want to rush into i imagine!

PS. Brakes are fine. Top job as always :)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Good stuff mate, meant to text you actually.

I'm in no mega rush, but just want it done lol!
I emailed the place who quoted 1800, just said i want them to do the work but its more than im willing to spend, would paying in cash make any difference to price.

See if I get a reply tomorrow....